Justice Brothers Gear Oil Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
This stuff is interesting. I've heard lots of positive reviews of this product when added to gearboxes and stick shifts. They say it's good for rear ends, manual trans, and transfer cases. 7 oz treats a gearbox. The color is bright transparent yellow.. It's thick, and it really adheres to itself, and anything else for that matter. I got some on my Ratchet, it was super slippery, and really clung to the tool... it was hard to wipe it off... and to use the ratchet when it was slick.

As usual, this stuff is said to treat the metal not the oil... it really likes to stick to surfaces...

It's marketed as a gear oil additive. Here is an MSDS

Untitled2.jpg

I didn't see any of the "dreaded additives"... like CP, or PTFE, or even ZDDP. I wonder what Antimony is used for in this.

Please clue me in on what these ingredients are actually used for in lubrication.

According to the package......
Reduces costly friction and wear

Smooths shifting of manual transmissions
Quiets gear and bearing noises
Prevents corrosion
Reduces gear temperatures
Improves bearing and gear life

If everything we could ever need is already in the gear lube (not disagreeing, just asking).....then does that make all gear lubes created equal with each containing everything we need? Or do some have more of this or that that makes one better than the other?

im no authority but when it comes to gear oil i think its hard to go wrong with a good name brand syn and maybe friction modifier if needed. as far as additives in gear oil, i think its a waist of money when so many old cars are getting by with old fashioned 75/90 that probably hasn't been changed in 20 years

Originally Posted By: electrolover
im no authority but when it comes to gear oil i think its hard to go wrong with a good name brand syn and maybe friction modifier if needed. as far as additives in gear oil, i think its a waist of money when so many old cars are getting by with old fashioned 75/90 that probably hasn't been changed in 20 years

I agree 1,000%. I thought of posting something similar last night.
grin2.gif

According to the package...... (Don't believe every claim made)

1. Reduces costly friction and wear
EP and FM additives already contained in Gear Oil additive packages.

2. Smooths shifting of manual transmissions
I see nothing to support this claim and certainly no FM to help with MT shifting.

3. Quiets gear and bearing noises
I see nothing to support this claim.

4. Prevents corrosion
already contained in Gear Oil additive packages

5. Reduces gear temperatures
I see nothing to support this claim. You need a synthetic base and special FM's to do this.

6. Improves bearing and gear life
Additivies already contained in Gear Oil additive packages.
See 1.

For Curiosities sake, I played around with this stuff a little on the workbench. From a first glance it helps the gear lube climb the gears.. but it doesnt appear to foam like the other famous test here with another "Oil Stabilizer".

I've also seen this product used as an assembly lube since it likes to stick to metals to much.

Again, I'm not trying to sell anyone on this, I'm trying to learn, and this stuff seemed quite interesting. I remember that Bob had an old gear lube test where Shaeffer's climbed the gears and Penzoil synth didn't.. it was intended to test the claims of a different product, but along the same lines, Gear Climbing is a good thing is it not? as long as the product isn't causing foaming.

Quote:
Gear Climbing is a good thing is it not?

Sounds like tackifier. This can cause oxidation problems in the oil.

Just buy a top shelf gear oil and be happy.

Fair enough. I have seen tons of discussions on other companies additives, but very little on JB's.. so I thought I'd start one. It's been a fun discussion so far.

By Oxidizer.... it will become chorosive?

Quote:
By Oxidizer.... it will become chorosive?

Oxidation is chemical break down of the oil and increases the viscosity.

To be fair, adding a thicker oil can reduce noise, and can help with worn parts.

I can't see how this product would help shifting, though.

I'd just get a premium modern lube specifically for the rear end or tranny.

For transmission use, it's only for Stick Shifts. there's a totally different product for AT's... actually 3.

It'd make more sense for gearboxes than transmissions.
The write up makes it sound like it causes the oil to climb the gears a-la the famous lucas demo. But the contents are differnt. It was fun to play with anyway, and I think it has a great use in my RC cars... LOL. You grease those gearboxes and seal them up... there's no PAN.. so whatever stuck on the gears is what you get. It'd prolly work great there. It's slippery, and sticks to everything.

I have used the Justice Brothers products for about 3 years in six different vehicles and have had great results. I also know a few engine builders one for motorcycles and one for cars that use their oil additives and see improved results on the dyno as well as reduced wear. I also know a fleet manager who used their Heavy Duty Lubrication additive on his Ambulances and sent a sample for oil analysis and and told me they saw a big reduction in wear metals. So there is some additional evidence other than just how I feel my vehicles run after using them.

Just because many aftermarket jobberss/shops use it doesn't always infer that they are good. Afterall: they are just additives.

I trust oure resident triboligist(Molakule) and his authoritative remarks on this subject.

Q.

I've read good comments about HeavyDutyVehicle that they make. I thought JB's would be an interesting talk, since they've been around a long time, do not void warranties, and have believable claims. So far, I like their cleaners very much, so I figured their lube additives would be interesting at least.

The jury is still out on most of them, but I've tried a few with positive or neutral reseliults. Since they don't claim anything that's hard to believe, I would consider them in a situational situation... such as the Oil Additive for a vehicle with oil consumption or smoke. I havn't seen any "Oil lasts forever" or stuff like that out of them. I have used their Auto Trans protectant... and I believe it did help with smoothing operation. Then again, I could have just upgraded the fluid, but it had recently been serviced at the dealer... so it had the right stuff in it.. and pretty fresh too.

Regardless of what you think of their products, I don't think they are to swindle and shut down... I'll stick to the cleaners for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back