Morey's works! -anecdotal proof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since I started using Morey's "heavy duty oil stabiliser" I have been trolling the net looking for semi authentic information about the product.

Despite finding heaps of "reports" and dubious "findings" I found enough peoples opinions that the stuff might work and began using it. Following is my own anecdotal findings, not based on scientific analysis, or advertising, just one cynics conversion...

I own a Yamaha XJ650RJ, 1982 motorcycle with 140,000kms on the clock. The bike does not blow smoke, and is in a good state of tune. I have always used 95 octane petrol. Prior to using Morey's additive I used Castrol Activ4T, a very good oil, changed oil and filter every 5000kms, and would top up the oil perhaps twice in that time. And never used additives in either fuel or oil.

Over time vibration in the handlebars was getting bad, after 30mins at 100kmph, or 60mph, both little fingers on each hand would be numb. I decided to try "morey's oil stabiliser"

The change was quite dramatic, at 100kmph there was no vibration in the handlebars anymore, in fact it was not until I was going 130kmph that vibration started. The bike seemed to rev more freely, I no longer had to change down a gear to pass a car, and when throttling off, engine braking was less noticeable.

I contacted a local magazine asking the resident mechanic for advise, he suggested I stop using an additive, and simply start using an oil of greater viscosity, ie: 20w 50, as additives were more hype than fact.

To test his suggestion, and determine if I was imagining changes in the bike, I drained the oil and refilled with Penrite 20w 50. The change was immediate, vibration was back at 100kmph, the bike felt slugish, and passing cars required a down change.

After two days I dumped the oil, and refilled with Morey's and Castrol Activ4T, just like before. I am not a person easily persuaded by products that promise the world, but if it can make my 28 year old bike feel and ride like it was new, then I am converted.

Have many people used this product in the States? Not many people use it in Australia.

cheers, Gareth

I used it 20+ years ago in my Toranas, with the 20W-50 of my choice.

Used it mixed 50:50 with moly grease as assembly lube as well.

Use it these days for steam turbine maintenance, as it's pretty tacky, and holds 60 tonnes of shaft off it's bearing for quite a few hours to allow turning.

It's got antimony in it, which makes me think that it's not the Moreys that I used to use.

I just did a search and found a Morey's on the Pacific Coast Hwy in California. Is this product from the USA?

I've never heard of it but if you're seeing a hugely noticeable improvement I'll certainly give it a try (if I can find a seller).

Hello,

From what I can tell Morey's is an American company, it might be called "Lex's heavy duty oil stabiliser" over there.

As an addition to my origonal post, many oil additives use PTFE, apparently this can be bad for some engine types depending on the company that produces additives with this content, Morey's does not contain PTFE.

Good luck!

Interesting... I've read other stories of folks who thought it was "The Stuff"... but then it got hard to find. I wonder how its makeup compares to Lucas, or MotorHoney Oil Stabilizers. the MH OS is pretty new.

Same thickness and tackiness as Lucas, but a darker brown "honey" colour.

And it's additised, at least with antimony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back