Using 50:1 mix in a 32:1 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 20 year old Homelite trimmer that won't die! It takes 32:1 gas/oil mix and to simplify my fuels I was thinking of using the Stihl synthetic oil which is a 50:1 mix(I have a couple Stihls in the fleet) in my Homelite. Will this be safe to do? The guy at my local OPE shop said the Stihl 50:1 mix would protect the Homelite better then using other oils mixes at 32:1 as the Stihl oil is such good quality. What do you guys think? I never use up the fuel I mix and end up waisting a lot of it so the less fuel I mix up the better. Many thanks!

Well, if it doesn't work out at 50:1, you'll have the chance to get something new! I always say, if something has worked very well for 20 years do something different. I'm a smart alec, I know.

I prefer heavier fuel oil mixes in 2 strokes. Definitely not in favour of leaning them out.

However a weedwhacker isn't likely to to be engine braking on over-run into a corner, followed by full throttle, so go your hardest.

Same issue with a Suzuki RM 125 about 30 years ago...decided to use the Golden Spectro synthetic (I think that was the stuff) at that company's 50:1 vs. the Suzuki oil at 32:1. The bike ran great on the 50:1 mix of the better oil. I ran the bike hard (MX) with no problems. It did richen the bike just a bit (more gasoline in the mix) but I doubt your trimmer will notice...

You will have no problems using the 50;1 mix. Be prepared to foul a few plugs, as no doubt your Homelite is coked up, and the Ultra is very good at cleaning.

That engine more than likley has only one crankshaft bearing, and a counter balance weight on the other side. A floting crank if you will. If your going to run it with less oil than the oem says make sure everythin else is right. Clean air filter, and fuel filter, and the correct heat range plug. Might want to avoid wot for long periods on 100f days too.

Well I went ahead and tried it. It blew up. No it ran like it was still new. Used it for an a hour and all seems good. I'm going to run everything on the Stihl Ultra oil.

Originally Posted By: 660mag
Let us know how it's going after a gallon. Did you notice the different smelling exhaust?

I will keep you posted and no it smelled the same.

I recommend against it for all the above mentioned reasons. More oil never hurt a 2T, but less always does.

That said, I've run 50:1 mixes in my 32:1 equipment before without ill effect. I just don't think it's best practice. I always go by what the equipment says now, rather than the bottle.

My old Stihl Farm Boss specs 40:1. My 77 Lawnboy mower specs 32:1. The huskavarna weed whacker specs 50:1 I have run the Stihl since new on 32 :1 on any old mix oil I can find locally. I mix up a 2 gallon of a rich 32 :1 and then add a capfull of MMO to each fill up. So far, so good. I think you guys obsess too much about oil.

I'm in a similar situation. My trimmer wants 50:1 but the lawnboy wants 32:1. I run 42:1 in all because it's an easy measure (1gal:3oz) and everyone's still happy after many hours. Also, in the lawnboy you CAN run too rich a mixture: exhaust port & plug carbon FTL. I remember a long time ago with my first season on the Lawnboy I actually followed the part of the directions that said something about mixing non-lb branded oil at 16:1. WOOOO BOY! No mosquitoes for a month but wow did that smoke!

My Lawn-Boy mechanic says L-[censored] will run fine in newer formula oil at 50:1.
I chose 40:1 and it ran great with that mix too.
No fancy oil either.

I run my Lawn-Boy at 32:1 on the Generation II L-B oil, but think I will move to 50:1 on Stihl's oil. I just don't run through enough 2-cycle mixture to justify using entire cans of the L-B GenII oil.

How about something like 40:1 in a 50:1 motor?

I do it, no problems yet. I figure it is such a small difference, and my 2 strokes get used so little...who cares? I also hate mixing up too much gas and never using it, then it gets stale and they run worse than with a little more oil!

I normally use Super Tech universal two stroke oil.

It's hard to compare oil ratios without specifying whether you are comparing synthetic, partial synthetic, or conventional oil.

I would have no problem going leaner on oil when going to a syn oil. Because most MFGrs are normally assuming conventional oil in their mix ratio.

You guys are comparing apples and oranges........

With a fleet of twenty or more two cycle machines running anything from 25:1 to 50:1, I usually run one mix of around 35 to 40:1 using a quality conventional oil. I buy it by the gallon at approx. $16.00 per. Great oil, good price, reasonable ratio.

Been doing that since the Dead Sea started getting sick.

No problems, healthy engines and good performance.

Premix for my Suzuzi and Yamaha outboards is around 80:1 on the engines that require 100:1. My Yamaha trolling engine will get 100:1. Keeps the spark plug cleaner longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back