Can Synthetic Oils Sludge ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RamFan
Has there been any data showing that synthetic can resist breakdown longer (not forever) when exposed to coolant and/or water when compared to conventional?

Not to my knowledge. All oils, whether synthetic or conventional, will pick up contaminants, water, fuel etc during the course of their use. IMO....the only benefit to using full synthetic would be under ideal conditions. Long highway trips or commutes with no stop and go traffic, balmy weather and not subjected to extremes. But still, in those conditions even a fine conventional oil would be up to the task of providing fine lubrication.

With synthetic oils, the main selling point is long oil change intervals. However, all of the synthetic oils do state to "follow the recommended OCI as outlined by the auto manufacturer". The auto manufacturers do not have a separate schedule for synthetic oil change intervals vs conventional oil intervals. IMO...it is better to use a blend unless the auto manufacturer specifically states that the owner use ONLY synthetic oils. These are usually found with Turbo engines or severe use...like towing. I guess....it's your money....and you can spend it the way you want.

But for me...I like the quality Dino oils on the market today and will add some synthetic for people who are not prompt about OCIs.

^I can see where you are coming from.

I'll throw out there that synthetic in most cases could allow for more heat protection, for instance your car overheats how longer before oil fails to do it's primary functions, and I'd imagine it wouldn't sludge as fast as conventional but I don't know of any hard data.

I'd imagine driving on a synthetic in a well maintained car in severe servicing(for what most people fall under) for 10,000 miles compared to the same amount of time on conventional for 10,000, the latter would be at more risk for sludge, IMO.

If you keep it in long enough sure it can. For 10-12K intervals synthetic would be fine unless there are other issues.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Has there been any data showing that synthetic can resist breakdown longer (not forever) when exposed to coolant and/or water when compared to conventional?

To a degree yes. The higher the TBN the better it is able to resist acid. Acid is formed from water in the oil. Most good Syn oils have higher TBN's.

They also help by breaking down less as the molecules are more uniform in size and less likely to burn off.

Syn oil also has less impurities in the oil to begin with to interact in a negative way with water.

I've used Synthetic oil since 1978 and I have never seen sludge with it, but under some conditions I guess it's possible. I even know guys that extend their OCIs out to 15-20K with no sludge.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I've used Synthetic oil since 1978 and I have never seen sludge with it, but under some conditions I guess it's possible. I even know guys that extend their OCIs out to 15-20K with no sludge.

I dont believe this story a bit, he might change at half wat wat he told u, unless u their since 0 miles and u their at 15k miles when he change it.

Originally Posted By: CamaroT56

I dont believe this story a bit, he might change at half wat wat he told u, unless u their since 0 miles and u their at 15k miles when he change it.

crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: dparm
VW 1.8T motors too. Sludgers by 5k, nevermind the factory 10k OCI.

1.8T motors sludged because dealers (or owners) used mineral oil in them.
My friend has 03 1.8 GTI, chip tuned, more boost, cai and bla bla bla to many to remember, he drives car very hard, races it. More than 120k on the odo. No sludge, engine looks very clean thru filler hole, no oil burning ether, or any other issues related to engine.He used only Syntec oil, since 40k when he got it. Don't know what was there before. Probably same way, since car was already lightly modded when he got it.

Not every 1.8T get's sludge. As the commercial says it's only funny when it happens to someone else.

The term "synthetic" covers a lot of ground, as everyone here should already know.
Having said that, the uses to which engines are put, as well as individual designs, vary widely.
It is probably safe to say that no oil will cause sludge in any engine as long as it is changed often enough for the use to which the engine is put, as well as the vagaries of each individual design.
I have no doubt that those of us who drive our cars a decent distance every day will see clean engines using any oil on what most would consider long drains.
I also have no doubt that those who short trip their cars, particularly in very cold or very humid weather will see sludge in certain engines unless farily short drains are used.
I don't think it's a syn vs dino question.
I think it's more a question of what a given engine needs based upon its design and conditions of use, and how often the oil should be changed based upon both.
Change any oil often enough in any engine, and you'll never see sludge.
Leave any oil long enough and you will.
It is not a question of the basestock used.

Originally Posted By: steve20
Hey U
Do U think this is a text board, or a message board?
Steve

You tell me .

Maybe short trippers should follow less than a 5K OCI just to be safe from sludge .

Originally Posted By: CamaroT56

Maybe you need to do a little more research, there are plenty of people who do 15-20k miles out there, including this forumn who have no sludge issues. Using a high quality synthetic, long highway driving, and having the right engine design make it possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back