Ok to run Techron concentrate during a track day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to run a bottle of techron and it occurred to me that it might be better if I waited until I was doing a track day so everything would be hot and under high load - lots of fuel flow, high RPM, etc.

Then I was wondering if there would be any detrimental effects using it in that manner, and also that a tank of gas would last an hour instead of a few days - I don't know which would clean better.

any thoughts?

I run cleaners through my cars at the track fairly regularly. I figure it gets a higher dosage through due to the WOT. Could be wrong about that, but it certainly hasn't hurt anything.

robert

Hi,

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I can tell you the following as a fact based on a phone call I had with the Chevron technical support people. Short version is that Techron (which IS good stuff for its intended purpose) has or can have an impact on lubricity. (If you think about it, this makes sense. Techron is essentially some kind of solvent.) This is one reason Chevron says don't use it in 2-Stroke engines....which operate on the thin edge of lubrication anyway.

Personally, I would not use it under race or track day conditions. Further, I highly suspect there is no real advantage to running it through quickly....heck, it may work even better if it is in there long enough to "soak" a little. Most street bikes are ridden hard enough that you will get it through the system pretty quickly anyway. Also, note that Chevron says limit its use to every 1,000 miles.... I suspect that is also related to the lubricity issue. Personally, I run some through the bike about once a year, usually as I near the end of an oil change cycle.

I don't know what it may or may not due to the octane/anti-knock properties of gasoline. My gut feeling is that, if anything, it probably has a marginal negative impact on the octane rating.
Sportbikes are very high compression engines, so why take a chance on degrading the octane rating?

Bottomline: There is probably little to gain and possibly something to lose using it at a track day. Techron is good stuff, but if you use quality gasoline, I highly doubt you need to run it very often, so why do it when the engine us under the greatest load and heat conditions?

.....Just my Two Cents........

Have fun at your Track Day.

Hi.

It won't do anything adverse. But like the previous poster said, if you have been running good quality gasoline, you would never need to use Techron. It's the same cleaning stuff as found in those gasolines, except concentrated.

So yes. Don't hesitate to use it. It's just a tank of gasoline. You won't have any lubrication problems; the oil inside your crankcase is enough to handle all your lubricating needs.

It has no effect on octane rating at all, so don't hesitate to use it.

No real definite on the Chevron Concentrate in itself....but as far as additive/cleaners go....I've heard mixed reviews. Some say to take a long drive with the cleaner in, and get it out as soon(fast) as possible....before topping off with "pure" gasoline.

Then on the other fence, you got the people that will recommend letting the clean "ease in" i.e.: through daily, day to day driving, whether it be to/from work, errands, etc.....for a slow, and long clean.

Personally, I'd say give Berryman's B-12 Chemtool a try at the track
wink.gif
Though I hear it may raise your octane a little bit.

The only thing that comes to mind, is while "at the track" (or even a nice, long road trip...) will allow for a more complete burn off of the fuel and the cleaner. You won't have to worry about the potential "unburned" gasoline escaping past the pistons, and having adverse affects on your oil as you would in day-to-day errand running, since at the car, the car would be "completely" warmed up, and ready to guzzle down the gas you throw in the tank
smile.gif
This opinion, ofc coming from the side of the fence, of the people who say to plan Fuel Injection doses inline with/prior to an oil change; since the injection cleaner could adversely affect the oil if say, the unburned gasoline/cleaner (solvent) made it's way past the rings and into your engine.

Techron will either raise your octane or at least not lower it depending on the gasoline mix your part of the country is using. The amount of MTBE and ethanol vary from region to region and the time of the year. A whole bottle of Techron in a 10 gallon tank will have no effect on lubrication in a healthy engine. Remember that methanol and MTBE's are heaver than gasoline. If you are desperate and clever you can figure out how to let these undesirable elements settle themselves out of your gasoline. And remember when someone told you not to gas up when the tanker is filling the tanks at your local station. Change that to always gas up when your station is busy and the pumps are all working. It will save you from getting a slug of methanol or MTBE's off the bottom of the storage tank when you're the only one gassing up.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I was going to run a bottle of techron and it occurred to me that it might be better if I waited until I was doing a track day so everything would be hot and under high load - lots of fuel flow, high RPM, etc.

Then I was wondering if there would be any detrimental effects using it in that manner, and also that a tank of gas would last an hour instead of a few days - I don't know which would clean better.

any thoughts?

I do not know who your governing body is, but the NHRA will not allow any fuel additives in our class. Check with your governing body rules and if they allow it I sure would run Techron in the fuel.

Interesting comments..... I am obviously the odd man out, here.

I go back to my original statement: Chevron says specifically NOT to use Techron in a 2-Stroke engine. The reason given was that Techron can reduce lubricity. OK.....if such is the case, why would it be better to use it when the engine is operating under the most stressed conditions?(track or racing conditions)?? Apparently I am missing something here.......

Again, I like Techron and think annual use of it may benefit the entire fuel system. Is there any published data out there to support the case that it IMPROVES octane ratings?

I'm not trying to be argumentative....just trying to learn something........

I would always make a point in running fuel additives when I had a long highway trip planned. High fuel flow doesn't help cleaning if the cleaner has no "dwell time" on any deposits.

I always figured running a bottle on a 500km highway trip at 30+mpg would do more cleaning than blasting it through a bunch of in-town errand-runs at 18-20mpg, not up to temperature etc...

Of course I have no scientific proof of anything - I'd be interested to read some.

I remember reading that the FI cleaners tend to work better with multiple cold starts over a few days because the cleaner has a few moments to penetrate the gunk on the injector tip before it heats up, also it has a longer time in the fuel system behind the injectors during the shutdown periods.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
I remember reading that the FI cleaners tend to work better with multiple cold starts over a few days because the cleaner has a few moments to penetrate the gunk on the injector tip before it heats up, also it has a longer time in the fuel system behind the injectors during the shutdown periods.

That makes sense to me too. In my "road trip" scenario, it was not usually a trip where I would literally burn the entire tank in one shot. It would usually be a week of vacation with two 3h drives and whole bunch of local driving in between. Perhaps the FI cleaner gets the best of both worlds then. I wouldn't use a cleaner if I planned local driving exclusively, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back