How my personal maintenace of my vehicles changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend and I were reflecting on car maintenance the other day. I recall my first vehicle, a 69 Chevy Nova. Man was it easy to work on. I learned basic car maintenance on it. Then I got a 76 Mercury Capri. I got more into maintenance. Did brake jobs and valve adjustments (It was nice having a girl friend whose father owned a Chevron station. I would bring my car over on a Sunday, raise it up and work on it there). Then we come to my 85 Chevy s-10 blazer. Much more smog equipment so it was harder to work on. I think the hardest thing I did was change the water pump and radiator. Then after that, I pretty much shook my head. The Ford Areostar was next and was also next to impossible to work on. I gave up on doing any hardcore maintenance after that, so for the most part, the 98 Dodge Ram, 99 Ford Contour, 01 Chevy Silverado, 08 Honda Civic and now a 11 Hyundai Elantra, I just shake my head, knowing that if I touched them (For hardcore maintenance), I would probably screw up something. So my current vehicles will get their air and cabin filters changed and PCV valve. I thank smog control devices and the more complicated made vehicles.

Thing is, smog equipment doesnt change one's ability to do suspension, brakes, etc. Maybe some significant underhood work, but even then, PM parts are usually easy to access, and things such as O2 sensors, if easily accessed, can be straightforward...

The 80's were tuff with smog, as OEM's added "stuff" to existing engines to meet requirements (remember the Jeep BBD carb? - yuk!). Evolution is a cool thing though, and the requirements meant going back to the drawing board. Now we have engines with twice the power of old, putting out a fraction of the emissions.
It wasn't easy to diagnose or keep up with everything, but we did. Computer controlled carbs were like [censored] incarnate.

Still, I'm an old carb kinda guy for the simplicity, and still love them for drag racing and in my old Willys, but I thank the Lord everytime I'm sitting at a funky angle in my trail Jeep, that it has factory EFI.

IMHO, the hardest ones to work on are the early-mid '80s emission controlled carburetor engines that looked like a nest of baby black snake vacuum hoses under the hood! I had several vehicles from that era that neither I nor anyone else could keep running 100% correctly. The easiest ones are the OBD I engines, and the old school mechanical injection diesels-they're easier than the old gassers were!

There's a lot one can do. All my cars that I've done significant repairs on have been OBDII. That doesn't mean that some old-fashioned sleuthing didn't need to be done tracking down mechanical problems, or ingenuity coming into play wrestling a stuck part off. Or the computer throwing the incorrect code for a problem.

The basics like brakes, suspension, and oil changes haven't changed a whole lot. Those are still quite DIY on a plain-Jane car like most of us drive.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
IMHO, the hardest ones to work on are the early-mid '80s emission controlled carburetor engines that looked like a nest of baby black snake vacuum hoses under the hood! I had several vehicles from that era that neither I nor anyone else could keep running 100% correctly. The easiest ones are the OBD I engines, and the old school mechanical injection diesels-they're easier than the old gassers were!

That's exactly what I was thinking. The early-80's Fords were the worst with the basket-of-snakes problem. Newer cars have cut down greatly on the vacuum hose population.

Yes, there is a lot that still can be done, but then getting married cut into some of that time and then teh kids came around and even more time disappeared.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The early-80's Fords were the worst with the basket-of-snakes problem.

I recall an article in Car and Driver back in the 80s; they were reviewing a Ford of some kind. The author pondered exactly how long it would take a five gallon bucket of water to drain onto the ground if it was poured over the engine.

My last few cars, other than oil, filters and a battery, under hood maintenance has been close to zero for the 1st 100k miles. I don't miss the "good" old days at all.

A VW jetta I had had two underhood problems in 20k miles but in both cases, OBD-II, Google and a little thinking led me right to the problem.

I find it easier in some respects with the move to four cylinders as I would rather remove 1 light aluminum head, rather than 2 cast iron heads. I also find with the internet there is hardly any time wasted for troubling shooting because a quick seach on a forum always reveals many people with the same problem. And then there is usually step by step photos and a youtube video that follows. lol

Last edited:
I guess it all depends on when you grew up...my car throughout HS and college was a 95 Neon that I could do anything on...less and less on cars since.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Ever wonder why so many 80's Toyota Land Cruisers were converted to a 350 cu. in. GM V8? The nest of snakes black rubber hoses on the old inline 6 were incomprehensible for even an experienced Toyota mechanic, and that was with an exploded polution control diagram. It was a waste of time to try and find a (as in "one", "un", "the", etc.) vacuum hose that was old, hard, cracked and leaking...

You bought the stuff by the roll and tried to replace them all, one at a time. If you bought the individual Toyota part numbers it cost a fortune! As I recall there were also ones that changed diameter from one connection to another.

Oh! What a feeling!

Personally I LOVE the newer cars with respect to maintaining them yourself.

There's almost nothing to do anymore. Platinum plugs, long life coolant, oil life monitors, etc., have made this fleet owner's life EASIER!

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
IMO, any front wheel drive V6 is 12lbs. in a 6lb. bag.
hee hee!!!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

There's almost nothing to do anymore. Platinum plugs, long life coolant, oil life monitors, etc., have made this fleet owner's life EASIER!

+1

I still do almost all maintenance on my vehicles. Now there is less to do and much improved information and instruction on how to do it on the internet.

I have gradually learned more and improved my tools to the point where I am not afraid to tackle almost anything.

I do kind of miss the "good old days" when you would feel a drastic improvement after changing sparkplugs, rotor, cap, points and setting the dwell and timing.

Originally Posted By: powayroger
I gave up on doing any hardcore maintenance after that, so for the most part, the 98 Dodge Ram, 99 Ford Contour, 01 Chevy Silverado, 08 Honda Civic and now a 11 Hyundai Elantra, I just shake my head, knowing that if I touched them (For hardcore maintenance), I would probably screw up something.

What hardcore maintenance is required on a 08 Civic and 11 Elantra? Change the fluids and brakes as needed? I'm not sure how this is more difficult than a 60's era car

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Originally Posted By: powayroger
I gave up on doing any hardcore maintenance after that, so for the most part, the 98 Dodge Ram, 99 Ford Contour, 01 Chevy Silverado, 08 Honda Civic and now a 11 Hyundai Elantra, I just shake my head, knowing that if I touched them (For hardcore maintenance), I would probably screw up something.

What hardcore maintenance is required on a 08 Civic and 11 Elantra? Change the fluids and brakes as needed? I'm not sure how this is more difficult than a 60's era car

Really, I'm not sure there is such a thing as hardcore maintenance.

Unless he predicting some 'hardcore' repair work.

Originally Posted By: mva
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

+1

I still do almost all maintenance on my vehicles. Now there is less to do and much improved information and instruction on how to do it on the internet.

I have gradually learned more and improved my tools to the point where I am not afraid to tackle almost anything.

I do kind of miss the "good old days" when you would feel a drastic improvement after changing sparkplugs, rotor, cap, points and setting the dwell and timing.

Dwell?

Is that when you pop open a brewski and think about what your gonna do next?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back