Wife's 2013 Hyundai seized up today 94k miles

I would like to take a moment to thanks whistle blowers for what they do.

My wifes 11 year old Sonata 2.4 with 94k miles seized up today on the highway. Got towed into the shop I used to work at. I was still there when we pulled the belts off and tried to turn the engine by hand. It was seized solid. Oil completely full and it's never actually burned a drop.

My wife visited Hyundai and they confirmed that it is covered, unlimited engine warranty. Have to provide oil change records and if they aren't happy with them then they will charge $195 to pull the valve cover and check for sludge (there won't be any).
They will also cover a loaner vehicle.

I believe the only reason for this incredible coverage is the whistle blower who lost their job over this and the investigation etc that came out of it.

Like the negative stuff. The difference between Hyundai and the manufacturer of the (diesel) 6.0 is that they actually stand behind their motors. And you only have to replace the motor once.
Now-there is another scenario with their 10 speed automatic transmissions in the F150 and other vehicles.

@350Rocket I am sorry for your troubles. I assume you purchased that vehicle brand new. What kind of oil and filters did you use over the lifetime of the vehicle? Thank you.

The manufacturer will replace the engine gratis and even provide a loaner car.
What more could any owner want or expect?
Kudos to Hyundai for stepping up and making things right.
Don't thank some easily discredited individual, thank the company for doing the right thing by their customers.

I would like to take a moment to thanks whistle blowers for what they do.

My wifes 11 year old Sonata 2.4 with 94k miles seized up today on the highway. Got towed into the shop I used to work at. I was still there when we pulled the belts off and tried to turn the engine by hand. It was seized solid. Oil completely full and it's never actually burned a drop.

My wife visited Hyundai and they confirmed that it is covered, unlimited engine warranty. Have to provide oil change records and if they aren't happy with them then they will charge $195 to pull the valve cover and check for sludge (there won't be any).
They will also cover a loaner vehicle.

I believe the only reason for this incredible coverage is the whistle blower who lost their job over this and the investigation etc that came out of it.
I would pay the $195 just so I didn’t have to dig out receipts lol.

You must have done great with maintenance, most of them that blow don’t make it that far.

Hyundai is good about honoring the warranty. Last one we took in was at the dealer for 3 months, they said there were 50 in line ahead of us. 😱

Curious why a well maintained and monitored engine would suddenly seize? ICE engines are 100 year old devices and yes there are new aspects to them, but why at 94k miles? I could better understand a failure at 94 miles because of a fatal flaw. Yes I know about the issue with machining debris not being properly flushed but that should show symptoms far earlier. Unless a pocket of debris was hiding somewhere and riding over a set of railroad tracks just a bit too fast dislodged this debris and then DOOM & DONE.

I know all BITOG want answers.

Like the negative stuff. The difference between Hyundai and the manufacturer of the (diesel) 6.0 is that they actually stand behind their motors. And you only have to replace the motor once.
Now-there is another scenario with their 10 speed automatic transmissions in the F150 and other vehicles.
The manufacturer was International in that case.

Curious why a well maintained and monitored engine would suddenly seize? ICE engines are 100 year old devices and yes there are new aspects to them, but why at 94k miles? I could better understand a failure at 94 miles because of a fatal flaw. Yes I know about the issue with machining debris not being properly flushed but that should show symptoms far earlier. Unless a pocket of debris was hiding somewhere and riding over a set of railroad tracks just a bit too fast dislodged this debris and then DOOM & DONE.

I know all BITOG want answers.
These Theta-ii engines are very well known for this defect. Something involving lack of lubrication at the lower end of the motor. Initially Hyundai said that this was due to debris left in the oil galleries after manufacturing, but given how long this has been going on I think it's an actual design defect in the engine block itself.

350Rocket
You don't need oil receipts unless they find gunk and sludge buildup under the valve covers. A call to the manufacturer will verify that. The manufacturer then contacts the dealer and gets confirmation from the dealer that your engine has no buildup - no signs the engine contained oil thinner than what the owners manual recommends and has no signs the engine was run continually low on oil.

Yours is the main reason I stayed far-far away from looking at any Hyundai and Kia vehicles with TGDI engines for 2019 and again for 2020. Your extended warranty on the 2.4 runs thru 2019 for your TGDI Theta 2 engine and not any 2,4 GDIs like mine

Last edited:

You know there was a class action lawsuit against H/K on these engines and that's the only reason they're covering them?

@350Rocket I am sorry for your troubles. I assume you purchased that vehicle brand new. What kind of oil and filters did you use over the lifetime of the vehicle? Thank you.
My wife bought it in 2013 as an ex rental car, low mileage. Conventional 3k oil changes at quick lubes up until a few years back I started doing the oil changes myself with 5w30 synthetic, whatever was on sale. Usually Pennzoil or Mobil, occasionally quaker state or Castrol. Max 5k oil changes, doing a lot more highway driving now. First 70k miles were mostly city.
Filters also whatever mid range to premium fram that was on sale.
No signs of impending failure before it happened. We drove it 5 hours round trip to the airport for vacation last month's and I resisted the temptation to take the old reliable Silverado, because of fuel cost and worrying about it getting stolen (even though it's 20 years old) while we were gone. Plus I had the truck oil pressure sending unit replaced while I was on vacation.
A break down of the truck would be a much more disastrous event for us. No loaner or backup vehicle in that situation.

350Rocket
You don't need oil receipts unless they find gunk and sludge buildup under the valve covers. A call to the manufacturer will verify that. The manufacturer then contacts the dealer and gets confirmation from the dealer that your engine has no buildup - no signs the engine contained oil thinner than what the owners manual recommends and has no signs the engine was run continually low on oil.

Yours is the main reason I stayed far-far away from looking at any Hyundai and Kia vehicles with TGDI engines for 2019 and again for 2020. Your extended warranty on the 2.4 runs thru 2019 for your TGDI Theta 2 engine and not any 2,4 GDIs like mine
The dealership said bring oil change receipts. If they're happy with the ones I have (I seem to be missing at least one set of receipts) then it will be no charge. But they could make us pay $195 to check for sludge. Not sure if that is reimbursed or not.

Back