Shell Nitrogen Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what Shell is talking about with their nitrogen fortified gas? Nitrogen itself is an inactive gas that does not sustain combustion.

Nitrogen is a cleaning additive.

Per Shell website:
The Nitrogen Enriched formula is proven to prevent build-up of gunk more effectively than gasolines containing only the minimum amount of cleaning agents as required by the EPA.

The new cleaning system is certified to meet the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standard.

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/abo...gen_030209.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quest
This has been discussed before. Do a search.Q.

You're right, there's a ton of stuff, mostly anecdotal and not too informative.
Found this from shell which essentially says nothing new:
"The Nitrogen Enriched formula is proven to prevent build-up of gunk more effectively than gasolines containing only the minimum amount of cleaning agents as required by the EPA.
The new cleaning system is certified to meet the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standard – voluntary standards designated by some of the world’s top automakers (Audi, BMW, GM, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen) to try to raise the bar on fuel quality beyond minimum government criteria. Industry research has proven that a clean engine results in better fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, and overall optimal vehicle performance."
Any top tier gas can conform to those criteria.
There are many nitrogen based molecules - how about nitrogen tetroxide and hydrazine which are hypergolic rocket fuels? Shell's nitrogen is likely in an amine compound.
I've concluded that the nitrogen fortified gas is 50% legitimate and 50% hype. Also, they apparently put more of the additive in their premium grade.

Originally Posted By: Bruce_Anderson
This has been discussed before. Do a search.Q.

Shell's nitrogen is likely in an amine compound.

Well, yeah! It could mean something similar to that famed Techron equivalent of PEA (polyetheramines) for keeping fuel injectors and systems clean.

Spin-doctors at play, yeah! 50% hype?! perhaps. But how many NA avg driving joes out there successfully taken chemistry to the point of understanding what Hydrogen, Nitrogen and HC means?

It's like those fools falling for electrolysis for "brown gas", IMHO the ignorance out there is simply unbelievable...

My 2c's worth.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
???? What is "electrolysis for "brown gas""

Ever heard of that water electrolysis to break down water (H20) into Hydrogen and Oxygen gas for the sake of feeding it back into the intake part of the gasoline IC engine, mix it with gas and reburn and claimed exorbitant gas mileage afterwards?

Q.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
???? What is "electrolysis for "brown gas""

Ever heard of that water electrolysis to break down water (H20) into Hydrogen and Oxygen gas for the sake of feeding it back into the intake part of the gasoline IC engine, mix it with gas and reburn and claimed exorbitant gas mileage afterwards?

You can't get something for nothing
You can't win
You have to lose...

...unless you are one of the brown gas guys. Then you can get 75 mpg in your 1976 C10 Chevy for having a jar of water and some electrodes under your.The laws of thermodynamics do not apply to them.

Can someone out there in simple terms, explain to us what this "nitrogen" gas is that Shell offers.

In a nutshell, will it benefit fuel economy?

In a nutshell, the nitrogen references the nitrogen molecule in the amine polyetheramine, which is one of the most effective fuel system cleaners out there. It's also found in Chevron's Techron additive package.

Yes, a car with clean injectors and intake valves will get better mileage.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Well I get 5 mpg better with v-power in my mustang than the regular. I will attribute that to supreme not having ethanol in it.

I thought V-Power had Ethanol and SOME locations carried the non Ethanol or is it Ethanol free everywhere?

Originally Posted By: edhackett
In a nutshell, the nitrogen references the nitrogen molecule in the amine polyetheramine, which is one of the most effective fuel system cleaners out there. It's also found in Chevron's Techron additive package.

Yes, a car with clean injectors and intake valves will get better mileage.

Ed

I hear a lot about this techron product on here. Seems to be a forum favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back