Fram Tough Guard TG 3600 Open. POS or Acceptable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to open my TG3600 oil filter since I got it free on AutoZone w/ the purchase of 5qt of Castrol GTX HM. Well I never used this oil filter before I notice that the end cap are also paper (carbord). I think I'll stick with my Motorcraft filter for now or this is a good filter to use.

nbu4hl.jpg

1rf8ue.jpg

2ahshp5.jpg

Looks like a good filter with a metal strip holding it on please other than the end caps it looks good.

2s5y2du.jpg

This is why you pay $3 more from the OCOD.

1zykxh.jpg

I wouldn't trust it far beyond 4k, at most. If you are going with Fram, use their Xtended Guard only, IMO. Unless you do the strict 3k(or 3,750) OCI.

I do use the Fram XG, however I have also used the orange can fram filters running 7500 OCI with ZERO problems, and years back all I ran was the orange can... mind you my OCI's were much less then around 3-5k.. but of the filter failures I have had fram is not on the list, more so the high end filters thought so highly of by the board, and myself included !!

I would trust the filter to 7500 OCI with no worries at all, and if it were my car it would see a 10k OCI at least.

I just can't feel good using one. when i can get purolators for 4-7 bucks or the m1 filters on a oil special, why would i want one? If you gave them to me free, i would not spin one on any of my vehicles.

I ran a Fram Tough Guard for about 5K miles during my last OCI and then put on a K&N for the last 1,800 to 2,000 miles.

Instead of changing out a perfectly great filter, I kept the same K&N filter on, with my current OC this week with PYB. I plan on running this K&N for the duration of this OCI.... 6K to 7K with this fill of PYB.

I also picked up a Filter mag, on the cheap, from eBay and it's now wrapped around this K&N filter.

Originally Posted By: Junior96Stang
...I think I'll stick with my Motorcraft filter for now or this is a good filter to use.

A TG shouldn't hurt anything. It filters oil. Millions use them. But I would go with Motorcraft.

Thanks for posting the pics.... I agree it will do its job.

Buts it good to know that there are other brands out there with higher quality/better features for the same or less money.

Like the Motorcraft equivalent FL-400s, Mann ML-1005, and others.

The endcaps aren't cardboard . The orange can isn't a favorite but the Toughguard is a really good filter . The Tough guard is a better filtering filter than a Motorcraft and most others.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Thanks for posting the pics.... I agree it will do its job.

Buts it good to know that there are other brands out there with higher quality/better features for the same or less money.

Like the Motorcraft equivalent FL-400s, Mann ML-1005, and others.

I agree. Nothing wrong with Fram TG, it can do its job of filtering for 6-7k miles. But I would choose Motorcraft FL-400s, Mann ML-1005 ... and save some coins.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I just can't feel good using one. when i can get purolators for 4-7 bucks or the m1 filters on a oil special, why would i want one? If you gave them to me free, i would not spin one on any of my vehicles.

You won't use them because there is better value? Good point....

So why wouldn't you use one for free.......?

The TG is ok when obtained in an oil/filter promo deal. I'd feel confident about using them in the ~6k range. Similar to many of the OEM's made by Fram. Besides the silicone adbv the TG has a higher rated efficiency.

At the regular price at Wally for ~$5.94 for the #7317 though, as typical of Fram, way overpriced. Can currently get three P1's at AAP for $10. Better filter for much less. Even at the regular P1 price, I'd choose it over the fiber TG.

fwiw, AZ uses TG in some oil/filter combo promos. They do allow substitution up to ~$6.99 though, I'd choose the equivalent Bosch Premium, a P1 clone.

Originally Posted By: turbochem

I don't trust the quality to stay the same. If they start going with paperend caps on those, how many or how long would i have one on before i found out? IF you would make a filter like the orange one, i don't trust the rest of your line.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The endcaps aren't cardboard . The orange can isn't a favorite but the Toughguard is a really good filter . The Tough guard is a better filtering filter than a Motorcraft and most others.

What are the endcaps in the photo's ? looks like paper, does not look like metal to me!

Originally Posted By: turbochem

I don't trust the quality to stay the same. If they start going with paperend caps on those, how many or how long would i have one on before i found out? IF you would make a filter like the orange one, i don't trust the rest of your line.

In fact, from a price point, i feel it would be better to run a higher quality filter and a cheaper oil than a cheap filter and high quality oil.

Quote:
What are the endcaps in the photo's ? looks like paper, does not look like metal to me!
Fram prefers the 'fiber' be referred to as "engineered media." Definitely not metal. And calling them cardboard is considered heresy in Fram orange can land.
31.gif

nothing FILTERS better then a fram tough guard. its filtering specs are identical to a PureOne. 99% @ 20 microns. from MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE the pureone caused start up noise that i thought was the oil. well it got the identical oil next change, and swtiched the pureone to a fram extended guard (not tough guard) and i havent heard the noise since. i may try a tough guard next time. as long as it doesnt have a wide open center tube for chunks of media to pass through, or hardly any media like the orange can, i'd use it.

so what do all of you "cardboard endcap bashers" have to say about filters with NO endcaps?? oh my gosh are they even worse then frams????

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jakegday
nothing FILTERS better then a fram tough guard. its filtering specs are identical to a PureOne. 99% @ 20 microns. from MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE the pureone caused start up noise that i thought was the oil. well it got the identical oil next change, and swtiched the pureone to a fram extended guard (not tough guard) and i havent heard the noise since. i may try a tough guard next time. as long as it doesnt have a wide open center tube for chunks of media to pass through, or hardly any media like the orange can, i'd use it.

so what do all of you "cardboard endcap bashers" have to say about filters with NO endcaps?? oh my gosh are they even worse then frams????

Which ones are you refering to? Which filters have no endcaps?

i hope you dont expect me to have a list...?? i dont know, just ones ive seen cut open and talked about in my time here at BITOG. those are the ones im asking about. maybe you can search, or someone else can help you...

Last edited:
I`ve used a TG for the last 2 oil changes and I have the fastest,highest,and most stable oil pressure using them. I`ll continue to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back