Pickup truck winter tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you on the Wrangler RT/S being [censored]. They came stock on my Dakota. I travel state roads to work and back and if we had an inch of snow or slush on the road, I would turn the wheel on a curve and the truck kept going straight! Needless to say, I pulled them off and sold them very cheap. I replaced them with Yokohama Geolandar A/TS and they performed 100% better. Last winter, we had a lot of snow and ice here in Pennsylvania so I bought a set of winter Cooper Discoverer M+S and they worked great.

The Korean brands usually perform well and are cheap, but don't last as long. Hankook or Kumho. Coopers are a good choice, as are Cooper's other brands...MasterCraft, Starfire, Dean.

Buy the skinniest original equipment size for your truck. Look for used steel wheels that fit in a junk yard or eBay.

Used to have Goodyear RT/S...to say I hated them was putting it mild! Very horrible tire, as were the goodyear trackers on my company truck.

That said, I currently have Goodyear's new Duratrac tires....WOW! Huge difference, and this coming from someone who vowed to NEVER own a goodyear again! I love these tires and am glad I had the guts to try Goodyear again.

RoyalGorge5-2010052.jpg

Thanks for all the input guys. Seems everyone is in agreement about the terrible performance of the RT/S in any kind of imperfect weather.

When I had my Tercel, I always ran a set of winter tires on black steelies during the winter and aftermarket oversized rims with wider "all season" tires for the warmer months(that policy
was created at about age 19, I'll skip the oversized "bling" rims this time around, thanks
smile.gif

. Getting the winter tires mounted on the existing stock wheels just for this winter as they need to go on ASAP and money is a little tight. I intend to hunt for a used set of decent looking stock alloy wheels through the junkyards to put the winter tires on next year. This way I can change them seasonally myself in the driveway like I always have, but trying to hold out even one winter on all-seasons, even good ones is not worth the risk to me.

I'll continue running the RT/S Goodyears next spring/summer as I can't justify tossing tires that have only about 15k on them as of right now. They're fine in nice weather and I can live with them for a while in rain but I just don't trust them in winter.

When they get worn down, here we will go again hunting down a good value for the warmer months and they sure won't be another set of RT/S.

I'll let you guys know what I decided on and give you all a review of them once they go on.

Be safe out there this winter, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back