Pickup truck winter tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought my Ranger last Feb. The Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires it came equipped with, I believe 25570R16 size, well, sucked in the snow the few times I drove through it during the tail end of that winter. They're not even the greatest in wet with the RWD and empty bed. Turning on 4x4 helps get going but does nothing for steer/stop.

This is my first pickup truck.

The prices on some winter tires I've had a quick look at that fit are, well, scary. But more scary is getting in a crash.

A few bags of gravel over the rear axle is definitely in order, as advised by pretty well everyone I've talked to with pickup truck experience.

Also, at least for now, I'm probably gonna have to get whatever I buy swapped onto the existing rims, as buying the tires alone is going to throw my line of credit up a good bit. Money is tight right now, but as I learned with my old car, winter tires are not optional in my part of Canada unless you like an adrenalin rush every time you go out :)

Can anyone recommend a good set of tires for my situation, that are affordable but still work well? If I have to pay top dollar for the best safety and control I will do it. I just was a little shocked by the prices of tires this size.

Any other tips for my first REAL winter with my first pickup truck I'd welcome too.

Thanks in advance guys.

Winterforce tires are usually cheap, and are okay in wintery weather. $82+shipping on TireRack for your size.

Besides the sand in the bed, just remember the 4WD won't help you stop. It seems you have that covered, so have fun!

I've heard very good things about Nokian tires being the very best all-season and winter suited tires so you could run these year-round without having to switch with the winter seasons. I plan on getting a set of 265/70/16s in them when my Goodyear Fortera Triple Treds on a 1997 4Runner or BFG AT KOs on the 2002 Sequoia get to around 3/32s.

NOKIAN WR SUV

If you can fit 15 inch rims over your brakes you'll

-- get a taller sidewall that flexes more, and digs down through the snow better. Its contact patch will be better for keeping you from sliding sideways

-- get cheaper snow tires

-- be able to change them out yourself without unmounting

-- save your nice rims for the summer.

I assume tirerack doesn't work well with canada, but they have firestone winterforce tires for $68 ea in 235/75/15. I bet you could scare up some universal steel rims at canadian tire for $40 ea or so. Your ranger takes the same 5x114 bolt pattern as my 1994 mazda b4000 so there'll be rims in junkyards all over too.

You might want to look at Michelin M&S or the M&S2. Most places are closing out the M&S and you'll likely find some good deals. They're not dedicated winter tires, but they are well known for amazing winter traction for SUVs. They almost look like a snow tire - each trad block has several full depth sipes.

That would help with the cost issue but still give you a very capable tire for winter traction.

Just about any decent all-terrain tire will be a significant improvement over the RT/S goodyears. They are bad tires in the snow and wet as you noted.

For a year around improvement, get set up with a good tire like the Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO2.

Otherwise, winter tires will make a significant difference in the winter, but not help summer (like rain) conditions. I run Hankook Winter I-Pikes on my Explorer (and love them), so a winter tire is a good investment too.

I second the Firestone Winterforce. They are a great winter weather tire. I ran a set on my Expedition last year, replacing a set of Blizzaks. The Firestone has 95% of the performance of the Blizzak at 60% of the cost. They're less expensive than even the General tire. At the very least you're doing the right thing by getting dedicated winter tires.

I had a 2002 ranger the goodyear rt/s are horrid even with sand.

I took my foot off the gas (in an automatic) and the RWD drag made me swap ends on 1" deep snow.

you have 2 options. Get good All season tires.

buy a set of cheap steel rims and put winter tires on.

both are viable options.

really depends on if you have a place to store 4 wheels.. and want to deal with that.

Originally Posted By: pidster
Turning on 4x4 helps get going but does nothing for steer/stop.

The fact that you know this already puts you far ahead of the curve of many drivers of AWD / 4WD vehicles.

Looking at TireRack......
Firestone Winterforce UV
fs_winterforceuv_ci2_l.jpg

General Altimax Arctic
ge_altimax_arctic_ci2_l.jpg

Continental Extreme Contacts
co_extrmwincont_ci2_l.jpg

I have used the Winterforce & Altimax before. The winterforce knobbiness does help in the deep snow, but they are loud, loud, loud. If you need a quieter tire, Altimax.

Some sand bags in the pickup bed always help

2 of those are studable.. the continentals are studless.

I have the continentals on my elantra touring.. they were very good.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Some sand bags in the pickup bed always help

I always went the cheap way and waited for the bed to fill with snow.

Bite the bullet, and get a set of BFG All Terrain T/As. I have 50k on mine and they still have a nice deep tread, and they ROCK in snow. That Wrangler RT-S came on my Ranger as well, and is the absolute worst tire I have ever owned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back