power steering fluid change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the reservoir doesn't go empty... air shouldn't get into the PS. Once I accidentally drew the reservoir empty but refilling then turning the wheel a few times. Made the PS burp the air out of the return side.

Having changed the PSF every 2 years in my car and the Camry. I just assumed all cars were similar. All you really need to do is disconnect the return line and plug the return reservoir and make sure the reservoir never goes low or empty.

My Corolla and Camry's power steering takes almost 1 qt. That's a lot of turkey basting considering the reservoir doesn't hold that much fluid.

But if you all like turkey basting then good. I merely provided information for people that have easy access PS like the 9th and 5th gen Toyotas or similar design PS reservoirs that are interested in a complete flush.

Last edited:
None of the equipment I've owned was difficult to bleed after a fluid exchange. I've always done as outlined above; run the return hose, or an extension (clear line is best), into a gallon jug, plug the fitting on the reservoir, fill it, start the engine and start pouring fluid until the old is gone. At some point I got fancy and installed a valve in the return line (special tool JA-008) so I could run it down to the jug and then switch back to feed the reservoir when the fluid was clear. Saved running like mad to shut the engine off before the reservoir emptied when doing the job myself (which is usually the case). I don't remember any of my ordinary stuff that had any problems bleeding, but when I wrenched for a living, I do remember some Porsches and Audis of the '80s and '90s ("salad oil" specials ( : < ) that were kind of a bear to bleed when steering work was done. Hydroboost can be a little onerous and messy to bleed sometimes.

I've flush all 3 cars on my signature, very easy to do...From my experience on these 3 cars if you let the engine run with the return hose disconnected it will drain the reservoir in a blink of an eye. It's best to jack up the front wheels and disconnect the fuel pump fuse and just crank the starter while working the steering wheel back and forth..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back