power steering fluid change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Techniker

He clearly states that he did NOT use a fuel filter, especially a plastic one.

Maybe I should have been more clear. I was referring to this post:

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Here are pics of the $5 NAPA 3003 on my Hondas.

filter002.jpg

filter2004.jpg

filter2006.jpg

filter005.jpg

filter007.jpg

Right after taking the pics, I had to R&R the filter on the red car, I put it in backwards.

Can I just siphon out the fluid until the tank is empty? How do I prevent air from getting into the system? Does it bleed the air off on its own?

Purging the PS of old fluid is real simple. This is what I do every 30K miles and never had a PS issue, no leaks, no pump/rack failures no nothing.

1) Drain the reservoir and unplug the return line connected to the reservoir and point the return line (smaller of the lines connected to reservoir, its mostly a 3/8") to a empty gallon jug.
2) Raise the front of the vehicle and do steering locks with the ignition key in ACC (to power the pump but not make it run) and then turn the steering wheel left and right till no fluid comes off the return line.
3) Reconnect the return line and fill the reservoir with fresh fluid and do steering locks turning the steering wheel left and right many times till no additional fluid needs to be added to the reservoir. With the reservoir with fluid start engine and have the pump flush out all air from the system while doing steering locks left and right 5 times to purge air of the system. Top it off and you are done.

So basically you just turn the wheels back and forth and it self purges. ok. Im just going to use the turkey baster method. I'll just empty the reservoir like 3 times and do that every 30,000 miles. Thanks for the info. I will copy that down in case I decide to do it your way. How much does a power steering system hold anyways? Is there a lot more in the steering rack then what is in the reservoir?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
That's why you do it like three times.

You could do it a 1000 times and it's not a complete flush. That's the point.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I use the turkey baster method every oil change. M1 ATF.

Me too.
whistle.gif

I've also done the "return line to the bucket while pouring fresh fluid into the reservoir method" in the past. Too much of a hassle.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Changing fluid especially PS fluid like that is easy and cheap insurance.

It is a very neglected fluid.

I personally think a magnet on the PS system is probably overkill.

I agree with ZZman. If you TB your fluid once a year, your PS system should remain trouble free.

Originally Posted By: sunfire

Complete PSF flush is easy... I usually do it while I change my oil.

It kinda depends on the car. I did a complete flush on my Ford and it took forever to purge the air out of the system. It never actually purged all of the air on its own. I ended up making a vacuum tool (similar to the one recommended in the factory service manual) and sucking out the remaining air. To re-fill the system, you pretty much need to use the vacuum tool and a venturi-type vacuum filler to prevent air from getting into the system. The conventional "bleeding" procedure simply didn't work, and I had air in the system for weeks.

After doing a complete flush of some very dirty fluid, I'm now just using a mityvac to pull some fluid from the reservoir and replacing every other oil change, avoiding the whole "air in sytem" issue.

One most cars this doesn't seem to be an issue, but on many Fords it seems to be a common thing.

I added a spin on P/S filter to my car (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1780656&page=1)

I have settled on changing filter once a year, which also changes about half the fluid. I think a magnefine would be great.

I have notice though it is picky with they kind (both size and brand) of oil filter I use. I ran out of wix and bought a P1 and that made it whine, went back to the wix and it was fine.

I'm also thinking about experimenting with using engine oil instead of p/s fluid. like a 0w-20 or 0w-30. Yeah I know I could use ATF, but that's what everyone else does. lol.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: sunfire

Complete PSF flush is easy... I usually do it while I change my oil.

It kinda depends on the car. I did a complete flush on my Ford and it took forever to purge the air out of the system.

Good info.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Purging the PS of old fluid is real simple. This is what I do every 30K miles and never had a PS issue, no leaks, no pump/rack failures no nothing.

1) Drain the reservoir and unplug the return line connected to the reservoir and point the return line (smaller of the lines connected to reservoir, its mostly a 3/8") to a empty gallon jug.
2) Raise the front of the vehicle and do steering locks with the ignition key in ACC (to power the pump but not make it run) and then turn the steering wheel left and right till no fluid comes off the return line.
3) Reconnect the return line and fill the reservoir with fresh fluid and do steering locks turning the steering wheel left and right many times till no additional fluid needs to be added to the reservoir. With the reservoir with fluid start engine and have the pump flush out all air from the system while doing steering locks left and right 5 times to purge air of the system. Top it off and you are done.

Simple? NOT!
And also fraught with dangers and problems for the average civilian. And parts can break, leak, strip, etc..

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Why not just use the turkey baster method at every oil change?

Suck it out once, then refill..

Sounds much more simple than adding filters, and other stuff that could go wrong, leak, or clog up..

Keeping the fluid clean will make the pump last longer than most cars.

I agree with JustinH...Tig1 got me started with the turkey baster method...I doubt it needs to be done at every oil change IMHO.

Until I got my 05 Crown Vic I never used to change out the power sterring fluid and all went well for 200 to 300K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back