Amsoil, what are your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I just found out yesterday that a guy I work with sells Amsoil and has used it for four years. I have never used it but he wants me to try it.

I did a search here and it doesn't seem that many people use it here. Is it too overpriced for what it is or do people not like their marketing?

Years ago I used Mobil 1 and after not very good oil analysis results, I quit using it and all synthetics.

So, what is the consenus on Amsoil? Thanks.

Wayne

I haven't used it, but from what I've read and doing a bit of simple math, it can definitely pay to use it if you can appropriately extend the oil change interval. If you want to run it 3 mos/3,000 miles, you'd be wasting your money.

Personally, I don't use it simply for the inconvenience of ordering, and cost. I'll probably use the Amsoil Severe Gear in my diffs next time I change them, however. I've heard lots of good about the stuff.

Their engine oils, ATF, Power Steering Fluid, and other various products are excellent and I have used many many of them over a long period of time.
thumbsup2.gif

They make good stuff. Whether one agrees or not with their distribution method, they still made darn good stuff.

Amsoil is definitely a step up from most store-bought oil, though lately there have been a few bottled products available through retail outlets that are challenging it.

Great oils but not really unique any more so a lot have moved away from them.

I don't mind getting the stuff I need shipped to me. I like to plan out the car maintanence anyway. I bought the preferred membership which make the prices near what I'd be paying for the same quality stuff off a shelf.

very good oils. better than many store offerings - but does it matter? I've actually used them for 20+ years in my boats, motorcycles, and tow vehicals. but not in all my cars lately... I've got friends who have used amsoil for 10+ years while running it for 10k, 15k, sometimes 20k miles. they all get long engine life and are very happy.

Nothing wrong with AMSOIL. Good quality stuff, but there are other great products out there that are available too. I use it sometimes and sometimes I don't. It depends. If you want long OCI's I trust it. I just like changing my oil too darn often! This site has turned me oil obsessive compulsive!!!!!!!!
45.gif

Their products are top tier all the way but so's their cost. Their stuff is designed around longer use intervals. The longer you use it, the less the cost matters. So for transmission fluids, gear oils, greases, etc etc, the cost is justifiable 'cause those things are going to be in the vehicle for a long time regardless of how the vehicle is used. For the motor oils, it varies 'cause motor oil needs to be changed out more often. Most people don't drive enough to make their oils cost effective when there are many good oils out there for less.

My candid opinion, as unvarnished as I can make it, Amsoil's drive train lubes are about as good as you can get. The great thing about them is that there's such an extremely low cost difference per life time of the chassis with using them over OTC lubes. Not even a blip on the cost radar - and with performance and durability that more than justifies the one or two time expense.

The oils are getting to be more of a challenge. Not so much that the competition is closing in, which they are, but more that people aren't really driving as much on average. The soccer parent is more empty nested.

I have to work a little harder ...so?

If you can buy it from someone or are a preferred customer no problem. It's not cheap, but if you run it out for a ways then it's worth it IMO.

I believe it saved a friend's engine when she did not keep up on her oil level. That being said it's not for everyone. I could not justify using it for many years because all I saw was how much it cost upfront. But if you figure out the time it takes to change oil, trans fluid, diff fluids etc then it makes more sense.

I'm thinking I may use Amsoil once my vehicle reaches 100K. Then there will be no warranty issues. My perception is that the oils are all first rate.

Outstanding products, especially their drivetrain and two-stroke oils. Why some folks have an aversion to mail-order is beyond me, I have no problem placing an order with Gary Allen to get them by mail.

Originally Posted By: wtd
I did a search here and it doesn't seem that many people use it here. Is it too overpriced for what it is or do people not like their marketing?

There are a good number of Amsoil users on this board.

I'm an Amsoil user, I use it in everything. But I extend my oil changes so it ends up costing me less (I change it every 15,000 miles which is about 8-9 months of driving for me).

I'm not familiar with Amsoil's current pricing, so I can't compare bang for buck value but it, like other high end synthetics IMO are only worth it in a healthy well tuned engine that racks up the mileage fast with mainly long highway trips, where OCI can be extended into the 20,000+ km range, backed up by an occasional UOA. In a seldom used car, or short tripper, or one with mechanical issues, or a carbureted one I think frequent changes are better for it, and unless you're tracking the car or in a climate below -25 degrees C synthetic has no advantage over dino.

I've never felt that any Amsoil product was in any way lacking or anything less than top quality, but I'm not a regular user as I'm just not comfortable with super long OCIs. A dino for 6-7000km or a cheaper, off the shelf syn like PP, or my current fill Rotella syn for 12k km or so are my choices and what I feel are the best values. I don't want to bother with UOAs and I do a lot of short trip driving and tons of idling so I feel that regular drains are needed for my situation.

I do however, feel that Amsoil would be a great choice for me in things like my differentials, transmission and transfer case since these are in the vehicle for long periods of time regardless of how the vehicle is used and will consider them when first change time in the Ranger comes, which will be pretty soon.

Last edited:
I use Amsoil in my car. As per used oil analysis, the Amsoil one year oil change is no problem whatsoever. The annual oil change makes it time and cost effective. I’ve also used the drivetrain lubes with good success as well. If your coworker is a good guy, why not support his small business endeavor?

I still use it in two cars, their ATF is fantastic IMO, gear oils good but RedLine may be better in some circumstances there. the new oils from Pennzoil & Quaker State are closing in especially when it comes to price, large difference. I have a local warehouse for Amsoil so shipping is not an issue. If you can get it at a dealer or preferred customer price give it a shot.

I have gone up to 15,000 between changes many times but so much depends on the type of driving, engine etc. A blanket statement from an Amsoil rep, ( those are this board are very good) for the most part is marketing and few are well trained so take everything with a grain of salt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back