Larger Filter for Silverado???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '08 Silvi with the 5.3 and I usually run the OEM Delco PF-48. I notice that the filter is extremely full on every OCI (4-5k). Any recommendations on a larger filter? TIA!!

I don't understand your comment of "extremely full on every OCI". Just what is your complaint? Are you questioning the volume of fluid in the filter? It's SUPPOSED to be full. Or, are you inferring that it's somehow "loaded" with contamination? Are you cutting them open to see what's going on? I'm totally lost in that comment of yours; it makes no sense without a detailed explination. Have you any PC analysis to show that the OEM specs are not sufficiently protecting the engine?

Your OCIs (4-5k miles) are NOT over-stressing the capability of the stock filter. You can go hundreds of thousands of miles safely on the stock spec'd oil and filters changed according to the OEM plan.

Why do you seek a "larger" filter? What is your goal?

It is generally true that larger filters do "filter better" than a smaller one, but that is ONLY true when the media is the same and all other constrution characteristics are the same. It is a huge generalization that has to be very well investigated for each individual selection; you can't go willy-nilly and just find a "larger" filter and preume it's "better".

In a nutshell, what "better" characteristic are you seeking?

You need to understand the relationship of the filtration triangle (credit to GA). Size, duration, and efficiency are all inter-woven. If you hold one as a constant, the other two are generally inversely proportional. You cannot avert that relationship. Although, it can be "skewed" if different media is used within the same size canister.

So, what characteristic are you trying to increase when you seek a "larger" filter?

Volume increase? To what end. The nominal increase of volume you might find in a reasonably fitting filter pales in comparison to the total oil system volume. You might gain 1% or less? That means nothing to a liquid cooled engine.

Filtration efficiency? Possible. But like I said, you have to be VERY careful in the correct selection. Bigger does NOT always mean "better" in this regard. Want some evidence of my point? Check out the following:
Wix 51515 (a large filter that is the FL1A equivilant) is generally a good filter. But the Wix 51307 and 51311 (which have the same general diameter and gasket sizes, but are shorter in height) are both smaller, but actually have better filtration efficiency!

Are you after a bigger filter for OCI duration? This MIGHT be a plausible reason for finding a "larger" filter, but if you're going to artificially limit the OCI to a pre-determined duration of 4-5k miles, what the point? You'd never saturate the OEM spec'd filter in that duration, let alone a larger one!

If you're going to stick to "normal" OCIs, (4-5k miles), then your stock filter can EASILY provide good filtration at a level that will sustain your engine WELL PAST a duration I suspect you'd likely ever drive it.

I'm going to be a bit blunt here: I'm not saying a larger filter will not work in your case. I'm saying I suspect you have no real understanding of what you are seeking, or why your seeking it. Until you "better" define your goals, we have no idea of what filter to help you select.

If you just "want" a larger filter (even though I suspect you have no "need" for one), then try the Donaldson website and use their x-ref and attribute search features, and you can find a "larger" filter for your truck.

Last edited:
Whoa... take it easy on me there guy! I know I'm a newb to the wide world of oil, but was it really necessary to be so condescending and berate me? I think not, but for some reason their is so much hostility on these boards. I was merely asking a question because I've heard of many people using larger filters. For some reason, I don't remember any of my other trucks instantly gushing oil down the sides of the filter after a few twists, and thus my question.

I appreciate your feedback and you obviously took some time to write your response. I may not be as knowledgeable about oil and filters like some of you, but that's why I joined the site; to learn!
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I don't understand your comment of "extremely full on every OCI". Just what is your complaint? Are you questioning the volume of fluid in the filter? It's SUPPOSED to be full. Or, are you inferring that it's somehow "loaded" with contamination? Are you cutting them open to see what's going on? I'm totally lost in that comment of yours; it makes no sense without a detailed explination. Have you any PC analysis to show that the OEM specs are not sufficiently protecting the engine?

Your OCIs (4-5k miles) are NOT over-stressing the capability of the stock filter. You can go hundreds of thousands of miles safely on the stock spec'd oil and filters changed according to the OEM plan.

Why do you seek a "larger" filter? What is your goal?

It is generally true that larger filters do "filter better" than a smaller one, but that is ONLY true when the media is the same and all other constrution characteristics are the same. It is a huge generalization that has to be very well investigated for each individual selection; you can't go willy-nilly and just find a "larger" filter and preume it's "better".

In a nutshell, what "better" characteristic are you seeking?

You need to understand the relationship of the filtration triangle (credit to GA). Size, duration, and efficiency are all inter-woven. If you hold one as a constant, the other two are generally inversely proportional. You cannot avert that relationship. Although, it can be "skewed" if different media is used within the same size canister.

So, what characteristic are you trying to increase when you seek a "larger" filter?

Volume increase? To what end. The nominal increase of volume you might find in a reasonably fitting filter pales in comparison to the total oil system volume. You might gain 1% or less? That means nothing to a liquid cooled engine.

Filtration efficiency? Possible. But like I said, you have to be VERY careful in the correct selection. Bigger does NOT always mean "better" in this regard. Want some evidence of my point? Check out the following:
Wix 51515 (a large filter that is the FL1A equivilant) is generally a good filter. But the Wix 51307 and 51311 (which have the same general diameter and gasket sizes, but are shorter in height) are both smaller, but actually have better filtration efficiency!

Are you after a bigger filter for OCI duration? This MIGHT be a plausible reason for finding a "larger" filter, but if you're going to artificially limit the OCI to a pre-determined duration of 4-5k miles, what the point? You'd never saturate the OEM spec'd filter in that duration, let alone a larger one!

If you're going to stick to "normal" OCIs, (4-5k miles), then your stock filter can EASILY provide good filtration at a level that will sustain your engine WELL PAST a duration I suspect you'd likely ever drive it.

I'm going to be a bit blunt here: I'm not saying a larger filter will not work in your case. I'm saying I suspect you have no real understanding of what you are seeking, or why your seeking it. Until you "better" define your goals, we have no idea of what filter to help you select.

If you just "want" a larger filter (even though I suspect you have no "need" for one), then try the Donaldson website and use their x-ref and attribute search features, and you can find a "larger" filter for your truck.

Last edited:
Manny,

I have the same 2008 5.3L J Vin Iron Block and use the same PF48.

What you are describing 'after a few twists' is the function of your anti drain back valve. (ADBV)

The filter sits vertically and the oil gushing down the sides is not because your filter can't hold enough oil, it is the oil in your block being held back by our ADBV.

If you do get a larger filter, you would still experience the same oil down the sides if everything is working as it should.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I HATE how messy the 08 oil change is ... I let the oil run down the filter a long time to make less of a mess because I feel if you just try and spin off the filter quickly, you make a big mess.

Originally Posted By: HondaMan
Manny,

What you are describing 'after a few twists' is the function of your anti drain back valve. (ADBV)

The filter sits vertically and the oil gushing down the sides is not because your filter can't hold enough oil, it is the oil in your block being held back by our ADBV.

If you do get a larger filter, you would still experience the same oil down the sides if everything is working as it should.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I HATE how messy the 08 oil change is ... I let the oil run down the filter a long time to make less of a mess because I feel if you just try and spin off the filter quickly, you make a big mess.

Hey, thank you very much! This explains things much better than the previous poster, and in a much more pleasant manner. Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HondaMan
Manny,

Hope this helps.

I have an '03 Suburban and I have the same problem.
I slowly unscrew the filter until oil begins to run out. Then, I walk away until its done dripping. Even then, oil still comes out when when I unscrew and remove it...I can't help but spilling a little oil--no matter how careful and slow I am.
Why can't they put the filter at an angle???
21.gif

Most filters will do what your's is doing. I wear long rubber gloves when taking the filter off to prevent oily mess on my hands.

Just poke a hole in the bottom of the filter with a screw driver and let it drain before you screw the filter off. I to would like to know what larger filter will work fine in place of the PF-48. I am not sure why GM used such small filters on these LSX engines. Our 2007 6.0 uses the same filter.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Just poke a hole in the bottom of the filter with a screw driver and let it drain before you screw the filter off.

Very good tip! Why didn't I think of that?
33.gif

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back