Fresh Oil filter Every time?

I read on the forum that filter efficiency increases as it's media becomes packed with particulate. If that's true I should only change my filter at the recommended filter interval if I'm running shorter OCIs and not every change right?
Has this been discussed?

I read on the forum that filter efficiency increases as it's media becomes packed with particulate. If that's true I should only change my filter at the recommended filter interval if I'm running shorter OCIs and not every change right?
Has this been discussed?
this is false, as an oil filter loads up, the pressure differential across the media increases shoving once trapped particles through the media.

this is false, as an oil filter loads up, the pressure differential across the media increases shoving once trapped particles through the media.

Rumor has it engine air filters become more efficient with time as the media loads up. Is it the opposite with oil filters? Not really something I've thought about as I don't push oil filter past an OCI.

I do believe that many people underuse their oil filters, as it is the most often changed filter on our engines.
Not that I believe in using an oil filter for 20K miles nor the 20K mile OCI's. But you can believe what you wish.
We all do what helps us sleep at night.

I do believe and it is proven that, as a filter(any filter) traps particulates, those aid in trapping more particulates to a point as BrendenC has mentioned, "as an oil filter loads up, the pressure differential across the media increases shoving once trapped particles through the media". How many particulates will get pushed through the media can be determined by a UOA and the vehicle owner know how long(or how many OCI's) they used the filter.

I use my filters 2X or about 12K miles but this can also vary depending on how my vehicle is used during my OCI's. I mean, there's more to it than these few paragraphs have discussed.

I agree. There are people who will drain their oil overnight hoping to get every last drop out. Then use the same filter twice, which is loaded with dirty oil they were obsessing about trying to get every last drop of it out. Go figure.
Not to deviate from the topic, but there is some research that says it's actually beneficial to have some old oil left in there, as it helps to "activate" the additive package of the new oil , mainly the AW additives, as the new oil basically washes off the tribofilms left by the previous oil, and it takes some time , a few hundred miles before the new oil really begins to do its job properly, and it showed that wear is in fact highest right after the oil change, and steadily decreases afterwards, counter intuitive, and very interesting.

As far as going 2 Ocis with one filter, i do it, one of my cars only gets driven 3000 miles a year, and at 3000 miles i've inspected the filter and found that it's almost clean, so i've begun changing the oil every year and the filter every 2, plus a OEM filter for it is like 20 bucks now so...

Not to deviate from the topic, but there is some research that says it's actually beneficial to have some old oil left in there, as it helps to "activate" the additive package of the new oil , mainly the AW additives, as the new oil basically washes off the tribofilms left by the previous oil, and it takes some time , a few hundred miles before the new oil really begins to do its job properly, and it showed that wear is in fact highest right after the oil change, and steadily decreases afterwards, counter intuitive, and very interesting.

As far as going 2 Ocis with one filter, i do it, one of my cars only gets driven 3000 miles a year, and at 3000 miles i've inspected the filter and found that it's almost clean, so i've begun changing the oil every year and the filter every 2, plus a OEM filter for it is like 20 bucks now so...
Yes I was going to say that was every other post here years ago.

In remote filter areas I will use a 20k filter for several oci's but if it's easy to get to, a fresh filter every oci

I would only go multiple years on full synthetic media filters, there’s been too many wavy, torn, borderline disintegrating cellulose media filters seen here. Of course, Spain is drier than here, and “the rain falls mainly in the plain”, so maybe cellulose does better there(?)

I would only go multiple years on full synthetic media filters, there’s been too many wavy, torn, borderline disintegrating cellulose media filters seen here. Of course, Spain is drier than here, and “the rain falls mainly in the plain”, so maybe cellulose does better there(?)
I'm not sure how the weather might matter to how the filter media holds up??

What does a filter do? Are you saying that a filter reintroduces the debris it captures?
you will find this informative on the purpose of an oil filter.

you will find this informative on the purpose of an oil filter.

I bought 6 Fram XG 9688s when they were the good stuff. Got enough filters for the next12 years.....
New John Deere says every other oil change for the filter.

I'm not sure how the weather might matter to how the filter media holds up??
Cellulose absorbs moisture from the oil, causing the media to swell & develop waves. Our departed Fram marketing guy @Motorking also recommended changing non-full synthetic media filters yearly. It rains (& is usually rather humid) here in the Ohio Valley, I’m sure a lot more than most places in Spain-all that excess moisture isn’t good for a cellulose filter. We can get halfway decent cellulose/blend filters here cheaply in the USA, so I don’t mind swapping out the lower end filters regularly.

Prior to retirement when I was driving 10-12k miles per year, I used to do 5k OCI's on my Nissan 370Z using Redline oil but only changed the filter every other time. However, that was using a Mobil 1 #110 filter which is slightly oversize, or using the equivalent Fram Ultra filter. Those are both premium filters and said by the manufacturer to be good for 20k miles. Well, I felt safe at 10k miles on them and it made the oil change procedure easier to only have to drain the oil and not swap out the filter too.

Would I leave a filter on for two years ? No. I'm only driving about 5000 miles a year now so I just change the oil and filter every time on my Mazda CX 5.

Back