1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L; MaxLife 5w-30; 5124 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't speculate on the cause if indeed you have an HG leak. I guess cooling system corrosion could be one possibility, but I've only experienced it in a mixed alloy engine.

You should not have to machine the head. If it was aluminum and after an overheat, absolutely.

It seems like such a small leak, if there is one. It doesn't seem to be affecting wear. I think overall the numbers look good for 5k all winter miles. I hate to do a HG just because.

Hey, pal ..I don't even think you have a coolant issue ..for the reasons you stated. It's not showing up in the usual suspects.

You don't have the crack prone head.

The engine itself has never had any series or characteristic HG issues (like Vulcans, NEON's, etc.)

You don't show any Pb or radical numbers that typically (every time I've seen it ) accompany coolant ingress into the oil.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Hey, pal ..I don't even think you have a coolant issue ..for the reasons you stated. It's not showing up in the usual suspects.

The engine itself has never had any series or characteristic HG issues (like Vulcans, NEON's, etc.)

You don't show any Pb or radical numbers that typically (every time I've seen it ) accompany coolant ingress into the oil.

I don't know how you can say that Gary. Yeah, his wear does look very good, but he still has a coolant issue. Na and K are elevated, glycol was detected, and he noticed his overflow was down an inch.

There's very limited coolant passages on this engine, so whether it's a HG, cracked head, or cracked block, there is something amiss. It doesn't seem to affect wear at this time, but summer is here and personally I would try to find the source before next winter. God only knows that stuff breaks in the dead of winter! If he can get by with a coolant tab, that's cool (no pun..), but for the $40+/- dollars and a few hours of time, I would like at least some piece of mind. It's not the crack prone head, and the blocks are pretty stout, so the HG is my best edumacated guess as to the cause. Just my $.02 guys.

If there is a coolant leak here, it's a small one right now.

I'd try 'cheap remedies' before moving onto more expensive ones - like coolant tabs. Don't know if that would help.

I'd also move to a 10W-30 HDEO, and change it every 3k, if you want to try and 'nurse it along'...HDEO's will protect well against coolnat intrusion, and will be cheaper than the repair - might be able to keep the old beast going indefinetly on that.

Check out Gary Allan's UOA's on a customers Lumina with a coolant leak, and how he kept it in check. Ask him about that one in a PM, maybe.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

I don't know how you can say that Gary. Yeah, his wear does look very good, but he still has a coolant issue. Na and K are elevated, glycol was detected, and he noticed his overflow was down an inch.

There's very limited coolant passages on this engine, so whether it's a HG, cracked head, or cracked block, there is something amiss. It doesn't seem to affect wear at this time, but summer is here and personally I would try to find the source before next winter. God only knows that stuff breaks in the dead of winter! If he can get by with a coolant tab, that's cool (no pun..), but for the $40+/- dollars and a few hours of time, I would like at least some piece of mind. It's not the crack prone head, and the blocks are pretty stout, so the HG is my best edumacated guess as to the cause. Just my $.02 guys.

Points acknowledged.
55.gif

I'd probably spend another $20 running nek'id ..with nothing done to see what shows up next round.

Yes, the HG is surely the cheapest and most easily fixed source of coolant contamination on this engine. If it was any other engine ..something with a transverse V or more modern design, it would be very expensive in comparison.

You can buy test strips that you dip into your antifreeze to test for combustion by-products. This will give you a better idea if you have a head gasket problem or not. You can pick them up at Napa.

The only thing I worry about doing a HG is making it worse than it is now. I guess I want to make sure there is an actual leak before I dig into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back