1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L; MaxLife 5w-30; 5124 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

It looks like I'm getting coolant in my oil
frown.gif
Am I looking at replacing the head gasket? 78,000 seems really early for a head gasket on a 4.0L, especially on one that doesn't have the 0331 head casting.

Comments? Suggestions? Ideas?

Maxlife indeed uses sodium in the additive package, but the 25 ppm potassium and the fact that they did detect glycol means coolant is in the oil.

I do know some model 4.0L have head gasket issues - hopefully the many Jeep enthusiasts who know the specifics can chime in. Good luck getting it sorted out.

I would try a few GM radiator sealant tablets to see if they will help seal your gaskets. You should do a radiator drain and add the tablets and fresh coolant.

See iff you have the (thinking) 0031 head casting issue. It's on the topside of the head.

Originally Posted By: SmrtJustin
The 0331 head was only used 00-01 in Cherokees, and mine is an early 99, but I can double check.

This was the blend.
No it was used in all Jeeps of that era not just Cherokees. My 02 Wrangler that I bought new has the 0331 head. The crack developes right below the oil filler cap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
The 0331 head was only used 00-01 in Cherokees, and mine is an early 99, but I can double check.

This was the blend.
No it was used in all Jeeps of that era not just Cherokees. My 02 Wrangler that I bought new has the 0331 head. The crack developes right below the oil filler cap.

I didn't mean to say that it wasn't used in other Jeep vehicles, but the Cherokee platform only had it until 01, which was the last year for the XJ platform.

I've never heard of a 99 XJ having a 0331 head.

This was the blend.

Later 1999 XJ's could have had the 0331 head. Being an early '99, is it a 0630? IIRC, the casting number is located on the driver's side in front of cyl 3 (ironically, the 0331 heads crack between cyl 3 + 4).

has it ever overheated on you? if so, deff look at the HG for replacement. besides, its a jeep. what do you expect?? quality?? lol they are hit or miss with that. i should know, i have had a few. never again.. loved the 4.0's but that was it

Originally Posted By: mikeg5
besides, its a jeep. what do you expect?? quality?? lol they are hit or miss with that.

Just like anything else, including Toy's.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
besides, its a jeep. what do you expect?? quality?? lol they are hit or miss with that.

Just like anything else, including Toy's.

the later models i couldnt agree more. in the long run?? chryslter products have been notorious for being lack in quality. i have owned 2 jeeps and driven them for many many many many miles. my current taco has 150k miles on her and NOT once have i had anything break or quit. in those miles with my jeeps, counltess times. every few months it was in the shop for seomthing, like f'ing clock work man. ill never own another jeep until their quality goes back up. i have spent way too much time and $$ on those things

has it ever overheated on you? if so, deff look at the HG for replacement. besides, its a jeep. what do you expect?? quality?? lol they are hit or miss with that. i should know, i have had a few. never again.. loved the 4.0's but that was it

While I'm sure it has occurred, I've never heard of any propensity for HG failure in a 4.0/2.5. One overheat ..even a serious one, isn't the death blow to this engine. At least in terms of the head gasket.

I checked just to make sure, and it is a 0630 head.

It's a great vehicle. It has never left me stranded and is one of the easiest vehicles to maintain and work on. I truly enjoy it. This is really disappointing me though.

I've had it since 53,000 miles and I've never overheated it once.

So what is the deal with this thing?

Last edited:
Are you using much coolant? You can rent a cooling system pressure tester from one of the auto parts stores if you don't have one. Find out if for sure you even have a coolant leak.

I haven't used much coolant at all. I haven't checked it probably since last summer and it's less than an inch from the full line. I assume some of that could be from evaporation.

You don't really have all the usual suspects present in terms of wear metals. You usually see elevated Pb and just about everything else. You show (basically) none. The sodium is way out of whack with potassium, and the potassium itself isn't that bad (in the total combination of "all things considered").

The higher Fe isn't atypical for these engines ..the rest are basically noise.

No reason to get nervous at this time.

You could probably get by with a collant tab or equivalent. Sometimes, particles get stuck between the head and block during assembly. I had a TSB on my Ford 5.4L for it. There was a particle that allowed an oil passage to seep onto the valley. I brought it in and they fixed it under warranty.

Do as Mech said and pressure test it. Pull the valve cover during the test and check for possible seepage.

I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but if this were my Jeep, I would do a head gasket (after the pressure test though). These engines are very easy to work on. You won't even have to mess with the timing or valve adjustments. Just remove and tighten back to spec when you're done. The hardest part will be getting to the rear intake/exhaust manifold bolts. Examine the head while it's off too.

If you take this on, start a new fix-it thread. We're all here to help you if you have any questions.

Yeah to me the UOA looked pretty good. I know Fe tends to be high on 4.0Ls and 44 doesn't seem too bad for 5k miles. I should also mention that this OCI was all my winter driving. I put this oil in in the fall. I think it's pretty safe to assume the sodium is irrelevant. I think most of that is the oil's add pack based on that VOA I posted above.

I don't feel overwhelmed at all doing a head gasket on this engine. I really just don't want to haha, I have enough projects currently. I just finished doing head gaskets on my brother's TBird SC with the 3.8L. (It ended up having a blown ring, so I don't know if I'd consider a it complete success but it wasn't because a lack of mechanical skill). I've had the intake and exhaust manifolds off this truck before because of the usual cracked exhaust manifold. What worries me is usually there's a cause for a HG failure: pinging, etc. What's my cause? Would I have to machine the head if I do the HG?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back