Whats the best spark plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today i took off my spark plugs and noticed that they were really old, dirty, and had some build up on them. So i figured i would get new ones, and i always spring for the best, and wanted to know which ones i should buy?

I'd go with the original. Most brand new cars run like new with them.
55.gif

Is this on the 3.4? What kind of buildup do you have? It can be a sign of coolant leaking from the headgasket. A lot of people have seen the ACDelco platinum tabs fall off, and sometimes Bosch plugs don't work well in some applications. NGK iridiums should be the best, but you will need double platinum/iridium for wasted spark ignition.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
NGK.

+1

Or DENSO Iridium plugs. I'm a long way from needing new plugs for either of my two engines but if I were buying today, I'll be going the DENSO route.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
I'd go with the original. Most brand new cars run like new with them.
55.gif

+1

go with the oem ones

I have ACs in the Truck.
NGKs in everything else.
Stock is usually best, if you have no modifications.
The Trans Am originally had Densos. I have been happy with the NGKs in it though.

Whatever the manufacture's recommended plug is. I have found that the manufacture's brand of plugs work the best for me for GM's & Ford's. Champion plugs work best in Chrysler's. I've used the recommended Bosch plugs in my VW's and they worked the best. I'm assuming that other vehicle manufactures, that don't brand their own plugs, know what brand works best for them. I'd save the money on experimenting and follow what the manufacture recommends. I know it's not fun but it saves you money and headaches
21.gif

Whimsey

I want the brand that gives the best mileage, power, and lifespan i can get in a spark plug..

Originally Posted By: Brenden
I want the brand that gives the best mileage, power, and lifespan i can get in a spark plug..

That would be NGK

If you go the DENSO route, there are 2 types of iridium plugs.....the Long life, with the 7mm tip (which I recommend of the 2 types) and the Power Plus, with the 4mm tip
I recommend the Long Life 7mm tip because they are rated up to 120K miles.......the Power Plus with the 4mm tip are rated, by DENSO for 30K miles.

The Denso long life iridium has the platinum on the ground tab as well.

I don't know how Denso does in your particular vehicle....DENSO and NKG are highly respected brands......and it seems that NKG it getting some thumbs ups from other GM folks.

Originally Posted By: Brenden

So does the car manufacturer. Do you think they would want to advertise that their car gets 20MPG and had 100HP if they can advertise 22MPG and 110 HP if they just change spark plugs? My vote is OEM

I think it'd help if you said what application they are for. If it's the 3.4 the ACDelco original style double platinum seem to lose their ground electrode paltinum tab, so they are about worthless. Even GM is now using the Denso/NGK iridiums. If you want the best get NGK/Denso iridiums with a platinum ground tab.

NGK for sure. Denso makes a good plug also, but you can never go wrong with an NGK. Very high quality, never fail, and they have about 5 different plugs for every 1 Champion or Autilite plug which allows for a more exactly plug for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back