waste spark design and twin tips?

working on an old 1zzfe pre vvti with a waste spark design. The old spark plugs are oe copper plugs, and the owner brought me some iridium denso twin tip design plugs. Not the same plug so i didnt want to install these. He pulled out the denso catalog and these are recommended by them, and are a fit according to RA as well.

Do these actually work?

For reference the ones in the engine, denso BKR5EKB-11.

The ones that were going to go in, denso 4701

The iridium TT plugs are awesome. They will last a long time with no problems :)

Iridium will last much longer than those OE copper plugs :sneaky:

And it is very easy to change the plugs on a 1ZZ, so even if there was a problem, changing them is no big deal.
The durability isnt my concern, but rather the twin electrode requirement in a waste spark design. Im hearing these need the twin electrode to operate?

The durability isnt my concern, but rather the twin electrode requirement in a waste spark design. Im hearing these need the twin electrode to operate?
No they will work but with significantly reduced life.

What plugs are listed in your owner's manual? My old 1MZ-FE with a waste spark system specifies platinum twin-tip plugs. They last at least 90,000 miles.

Last edited:
Waste spark fires one of the plugs in each pair of cylinders with reversed polarity, causing the ground electrode to wear down instead of the center tip. Plugs that don't have platinum / iridium on the ground side wear out rapidly when fired reversed.

No they will work but with significantly reduced life.

What plugs are listed in your owner's manual? My old 1MZ-FE with a waste spark system specifies platinum twin-tip plugs. They last at least 90,000 miles.

the ones listed and currently in the engine are the oe specd plugs according to the owner. They are the copper units.

twin tip platinum came in with the move to coil on plug designs on the 1zzfe

Last edited:
the ones listed and currently in the engine are the oe specd plugs according to the owner. They are the copper units.

twin tip platinum came in with the move to coil on plug designs on the 1zzfe
I’d be a lot more interested in what the owner’s manual says rather than the owner.

And by the way they aren’t really copper they are likely nickel. Nearly all plugs have copper cores.

Aren't these the engines that have a left and right plug when the car is manufactured. But you cannot buy those plugs.
you mean
shopping

Back