Big Bertha got new spark plugs today

My coworker did the spark plugs on my Pathfinder in exchange for me installing his new car stereo, and I was definitely long overdue.

Here's what my original plugs with 115K on them looked like. I'm surprised it ran as well as it did with these :eek:

received_426464913143184.jpeg

You can install a stereo but can't do spark plugs? Those plugs coulda gone another 100K easy. :ROFLMAO:
Nothing wrong with trading labor, if you know both do quality work.

At 115k, I'd have changed those too. Not worth $50 in spark plugs to ruin a $ 500- $1000 cat. Does not take a lot of misfires on an older cat to kill it.

Once i've done the labor to remove then, they ain't going back it. You are good for another 100K now.

I
... .
Here's what my original plugs with 115K on them looked like. I'm surprised it ran as well as it did with these :eek:

View attachment 203503
Doesn't look bad other than what looks like MMT deposits on the insulator nose.
Did someone put Octane booster in that at some time? Spray-feed valve and port cleaner?

Looks like the engine needs some free rein on the Interstate.
Shoulda woulda coulda before the old sparkers came out.

But, whatever. Sounds like a good and beneficial trade of services and talent !

Except now, anytime the owner feels a hiccup in the engine for the next 10 years, even if it has nothing to do with the plugs, who do you think he will call for help to fix it?
Somehow i think the OP, being a bitog member is smarter than that. You concern is valid , when doing work for family/others less knowledgeable.

You can install a stereo but can't do spark plugs? Those plugs coulda gone another 100K easy. :ROFLMAO:
Intake manifold has to come off to access the back three. F that!

I

Doesn't look bad other than what looks like MMT deposits on the insulator nose.
Did someone put Octane booster in that at some time? Spray-feed valve and port cleaner?

Looks like the engine needs some free rein on the Interstate.
Shoulda woulda coulda before the old sparkers came out.

But, whatever. Sounds like a good and beneficial trade of services and talent !
I have used octane booster and cleaning additives in it, yes

Most of my driving is just in town for my 15-ish minute commute to work and back home, it doesn't get much highway time at all.
Somehow i think the OP, being a bitog member is smarter than that. You concern is valid , when doing work for family/others less knowledgeable.
I'm plenty knowledgeable and I do most of my own work (except these spark plugs LOL)

I have used octane booster and cleaning additives in it, yes
I would strongly advise against octane booster. If it has MMT NEVER use it.
That's a RIP for your lambda sensors.

I also stopped using Techron or Gumout regain. Never a fix, instead usually a problem.

Top tier fuel is adequate if it's not phase-separated E10 or substantially over 10% alky.

Except now, anytime the owner feels a hiccup in the engine for the next 10 years, even if it has nothing to do with the plugs, who do you think he will call for help to fix it?
Happened to me when I put together a computer for a family member......

NEVER again. Somehow this stuff turns into endless warranty, literally years later......
Now, I give general advice if they ask, and steer them from me to like Dell or something.

Last edited:
Back