M1 0W-40 2005 Mercedes Benz C230, 13000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this UOA from MB forum. Not bad showing for M1.

2yxkdcg.jpg

zoomzoom,

Do you know where the owner lives? The manganese would suggest outside the US. I would suspect the fuel has been much higher at times than what the report would suggest.

Unusual for M1 0W-40 to thicken like that-usually it thins a bit. The TBN would be interesting to see.

Thanks for posting,

REDDOG

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
Unusual for M1 0W-40 to thicken like that-usually it thins a bit.

I think it's actually very common for M1 0w-40. From what I've observed in various UOAs, this oil initially thins out, but if you run it really long (like in this case), it begins to thicken back up.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I think it's actually very common for M1 0w-40. From what I've observed in various UOAs, this oil initially thins out, but if you run it really long (like in this case), it begins to thicken back up.

Yup, which makes me wonder if this oil was used too long. It's very, very rare that M1 0w-40 thickens up that much when used for a reasonable interval. A TBN test would have been eye opening.

zoomzoom,

Do you know where the owner lives? The manganese would suggest outside the US. I would suspect the fuel has been much higher at times than what the report would suggest.

Unusual for M1 0W-40 to thicken like that-usually it thins a bit. The TBN would be interesting to see.

Thanks for posting,

REDDOG

He lives in GA. Mercedes uses FSS system to monitor oil life:

FSS determines the remaining time and mileage before the next oil change is due. This information is displayed in the instrument cluster. Press mileage button twice.

Both, V6 and V8, engines are fitted with a digital oil quality sensor on the bottom of the engine's crankcase just above the oil pan and an analog oil level sensor.

The maintenance interval is increased or shortened depending on the operating conditions (cold starts, engine speed, etc.) or when oil has been added. The distance between service requirements for your vehicle may be lengthened beyond the new 10,000 mile minimum service interval without sacrificing the quality or performance you expect.

FSS monitors oil change requirements based on actual needs. FSS calculates the current remaining mileage and remaining operating time up to the next oil change based on the following information:

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yup, which makes me wonder if this oil was used too long. It's very, very rare that M1 0w-40 thickens up that much when used for a reasonable interval. A TBN test would have been eye opening.

In this case the oxidation was so slight it's irrelevant.

Lotta iron for that small engine and (I'm guessing) large sump capacity. My guess is that the oil was spent, based upon viscosity.

The viscosity barely thickened at all. It's where it should be. Starts out around 14 cSt.

Originally Posted By: tig1

There wasn't an oxidation test performed, so you don't know that.

Originally Posted By: buster
The viscosity barely thickened at all. It's where it should be. Starts out around 14 cSt.

Most ending M1 0w-40 UOAs are at or below 12cST, so this one thickened significantly.

It's M1 ..it can do no wrong ..just ask
grin2.gif

Given the typical crash dive this stuff takes BY DESIGN ..to come back up to it's near VOA visc .....

Show me 3 UOA where it's maintained visc and I'll show you 30 where it has sheared.

Tig1: Concede where concession is warranted "This is one of the few times I've seen this". It really would go miles in reducing the "see no evil" persona when it comes to M1
55.gif

Quote:
Most ending M1 0w-40 UOAs are at or below 12cST, so this one thickened significantly.

Hardly significant. All oils thicken over time. You don't know if it sheared down or not. If it dipped down to 12 cst and is now at 14 cSt after 13,000 miles, that is normal.

Once again, this oil like most current 40 grade oils, has a lower HT/HS. Most are around 3.7.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

It's M1 ..it can do no wrong ..just ask
grin2.gif

Given the typical crash dive this stuff takes BY DESIGN ..to come back up to it's near VOA visc .....

Show me 3 UOA where it's maintained visc and I'll show you 30 where it has sheared.

Tig1: Concede where concession is warranted "This is one of the few times I've seen this". It really would go miles in reducing the "see no evil" persona when it comes to M1
55.gif

You have lost me on this one. Please explain. The oil is at the very edge of oxidation.

Last edited:
As a comparison, look at Redline 0w-40. HT/HS of 4.0. Redline isn't worried about meeting MB fuel economy tests.

This oil permanently loses some viscosity just shaking it around in the bottle or pouring it into the engine. LOL. So it's viscosity surely dropped to the typical ~12.5 cst at some stage in this OCI. It did thicken back up to 14.9 cst. That could mean the antioxidants are shot and I'd wonder whether varnish or sludge is forming.

We had an 07c280 that called for 13k mile changes, I dont think there are any monitors in the motor just a reset button to 13k miles. We just bought a 09 C300 with the same 3 liter motor and now they call for 10k mile changes. I never had any issues running 13k miles change and have no issues with the 10k changes on 0w40. 3 more thousand and I will be changing the oil in the c300.

Originally Posted By: SEBZX79
We had an 07c280 that called for 13k mile changes, I dont think there are any monitors in the motor just a reset button to 13k miles. We just bought a 09 C300 with the same 3 liter motor and now they call for 10k mile changes. I never had any issues running 13k miles change and have no issues with the 10k changes on 0w40. 3 more thousand and I will be changing the oil in the c300.

After a bit of search on the web I confirmed that MB does indeed have sensor that monitor dielectric properties of the oil as well and takes it into account when determining when the oil should be changed.

Interesting as my popped off like clock work every 13k miles after reset. Maybe its in the more expensive models now.

Hi,
Gary - You said this:
"Show me 3 UOA where it's maintained visc and I'll show you 30 where it has sheared."

This type of negative comment doesn't help BITOG IMO! The facts are that the lubricant performed well - just as it does in millions of engines Worldwide!

Please refer to the UOAs on my Benz (similar engine - M271) and the Sprinter in the diesel engine UOA section. Now for your thirty................................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back