2021 M2 Competition | TPT LL-01FE | ~3000 miles

I didn't enter the info and this was the first analysis so ignore the comments. Ti is obviously the Castrol additive. Oil was dealer fill TPT 0W-30 LL-01FE. Wear seems a bit high for about 3k miles. Combination of short trips and driven hard (when fully up to temp). Had exhaust side lifters and cam carrier bolts replaced per the common S55 cold start ticking issue about 1000 miles before this was sampled. Look at the viscosity :eek:.

VOA (not mine) of the same oil here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-bmw-twinpower-turbo-ll01fe-0w-30.371957/

Now running M1 0W-40. Will sample again in spring.

oai.jpg

How many miles on it? May still be breaking-in or short runs elevating the Al or a combination of both but everything else looks good.

How many miles on it? May still be breaking-in or short runs elevating the Al or a combination of both but everything else looks good.
About 9300. Wasn't my daily for a while so it's had oil changes at about 1200 (break in), 3500 (12 months), 6000 (12 months), and 8500 (when I sampled). I changed to M1 0W-40 SP at that change at 8500 miles. A lot of oil changes for 10k miles :D.

That boron really depleted and the 8.3 cSt might be the lowest I've seen from this oil on UOA. Hoping the M1 0W-40 holds up better.

About 9300. Wasn't my daily for a while so it's had oil changes at about 1200 (break in), 3500 (12 months), 6000 (12 months), and 8500 (when I sampled). I changed to M1 0W-40 SP at that change at 8500 miles. A lot of oil changes for 10k miles :D.

That boron really depleted and the 8.3 cSt might be the lowest I've seen from this oil on UOA. Hoping the M1 0W-40 holds up better.
With the low mileage there's really no concern with 0w-30. There was still boron left but the 40 will give you a visc. boost to compensate for the fuel at least. I don't know much about BMW's but they sure do have a following. Motor on...

Just stick to regular LL01. M1 0W40 will work.
Yeah, I only use this oil because I want the free oil changes to show in my service history in case there are any warranty claims. I will let them change it the final time next year and drain it shortly thereafter for PP Euro or M1, etc.

Yeah, I only use this oil because I want the free oil changes to show in my service history in case there are any warranty claims. I will let them change it the final time next year and drain it shortly thereafter for PP Euro or M1, etc.
I really like PP Euro bcs. GTL, pour point is low for 5W, or X-Cess. I was more of a fan of M1 in the previous version.

I didn't enter the info and this was the first analysis so ignore the comments. Ti is obviously the Castrol additive. Oil was dealer fill TPT 0W-30 LL-01FE. Wear seems a bit high for about 3k miles. Combination of short trips and driven hard (when fully up to temp). Had exhaust side lifters and cam carrier bolts replaced per the common S55 cold start ticking issue about 1000 miles before this was sampled. Look at the viscosity :eek:.

VOA (not mine) of the same oil here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-bmw-twinpower-turbo-ll01fe-0w-30.371957/

Now running M1 0W-40. Will sample again in spring.

View attachment 194222
Q: If you went the full 10k miles and viscosity was fine would you care about temporary shear?

@chris719 here is my UOA for my 2020 M2C running QS Euro 5W-40. It’s my daily, but my commute to work is only 15 minutes away via side streets, plus I work from home one day a week, and I’m also driving a GMC pickup and an old Jeep CJ7 that I rotate here in Southern California. I only had 1,528 miles on the oil over the course of 7 months or so.

In always try to ensure I get my car fully warmed up. Happy with the results, but right now I have X-Cess Gen2 5W-40 in it.

IMG_7071.jpeg

Q: If you went the full 10k miles and viscosity was fine would you care about temporary shear?
Is that really temporary? It might thicken as the intervals goes, on but from oxidation? I guess I’d just feel better with something that didn’t look like a 20 at any point. S55 originally was filled and serviced with the short-lived TPT 0W-40.

@chris719 here is my UOA for my 2020 M2C running QS Euro 5W-40. It’s my daily, but my commute to work is only 15 minutes away via side streets, plus I work from home one day a week, and I’m also driving a GMC pickup and an old Jeep CJ7 that I rotate here in Southern California. I only had 1,528 miles on the oil over the course of 7 months or so.

In always try to ensure I get my car fully warmed up. Happy with the results, but right now I have X-Cess Gen2 5W-40 in it.

View attachment 194303
I would drain this oil and put it in your pickup, assuming it's one that takes 5w30

Chris, if you're really serious about oil, check Ravenol's oils. The base stock is PAO (group 4), and additive package is great. There are VOA and UOA analyses for Ravenol VMP 5W30 that I've posted on this forum.

Back