M1 ESP 5W-30 3.9k mi; 2019 Kia Sorento 3.3L 66.5k mi

Interestingly enough, less Ca and Moly compared to my last run of the same oil. I had run Valvoline 5W-30 EP before that first run, so perhaps it's the left over oil affecting the numbers as well as the viscosity.

Before this OCI, I ran a mix of 5qt Valvoline XL-III 5W-30 (5qt) + 1.9qt Valvoline 5W-30 EP, but I did not do a UOA.

Currently running a blend of 5qt M1 5W-30 EP (not ESP), 1qt HPL EC40, and 0.9qt Valvoline 5W-30 EP. Hoping to do a 50/50 mix of M1 5W-30 EP + HPL 5W-40 next OCI.

I noticed with this engine that the oil starts to really darken by about 3K - 3.2K miles. I read how GDI engines produce a lot of soot, but the report says it is < 0.1%. Any reason I shouldn't go up to say 4.5K-5K miles on this oil or another thickish (5W-30/5W-40) blend like I'm planning to do with HPL? I read that soot affects timing chain wear. The severe maintenance in the manual states 3.75K miles.

1708017609750.jpg

This is the new SP ESP 5w30 which has no moly and no POE either. Likely AN. The moly in your report is likely residual.
I don't think it has much AN either. I think ESP has switched over to using standard Infineum add packs for these oil, similar to how Shell/Pennzoil blend oils like Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W-30/Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30. As long as they don't deviate from the blending guide they retain the add pack OEM approvals without having to redo them all over again.

Here is a VOA of the 5w30 ESP SP. Boron gets depleted over time so that's why it's lower in your UOA.
Thanks! Given the lowish TBN in my report, it seems that a 4K mi OCI is going to push the oil to its limit on this engine. Is this a valid conclusion?

@Azimuth that's not to say there's anything wrong with that. It's just that Mobil and Shell rely more and more on Infineum to do the R&D for some of their oils. It also means that there wasn't anything that Mobil could improve, it was already good. I would not think about it. It's very good oil, keep using it.

This euro oil showing lower Phosphorus amounts & that's intended in this ESP version. Wear is as typical for the lower mileage. Too much mixing going on for me to make any sense of your history but appreciate you sharing it for others to digest.

I don't think it has much AN either. I think ESP has switched over to using standard Infineum add packs for these oil, similar to how Shell/Pennzoil blend oils like Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W-30/Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30. As long as they don't deviate from the blending guide they retain the add pack OEM approvals without having to redo them all over again.
That could very well be the case. These are "dry" oils if you will, that don't have the level of solvency of those containing POE/AN base oils.

But I suppose as long as you formulate with robust anti oxidants and use top notch additives, you can avoid deposits keeping the engine clean.

That could very well be the case. These are "dry" oils if you will, that don't have the level of solvency of those containing POE/AN base oils.

But I suppose as long as you formulate with robust anti oxidants and use top notch additives, you can avoid deposits keeping the engine clean.
As we've seen with Red Line oils, POE doesn't really provide Mr. Clean levels of cleaning power. I'd imagine that some of these additive packages come with the co-base built in. From what I've seen, a lot of these look very modular, and they come with instructions telling the blender what works with what and what the end result will be. I don't know enough about chemistry to fully understand what's possible, however, I think it's possible to have everything built into an add pack.

Lastly, if the pour point got worse from the previous iteration, when it comes to Mobil, that should be a clear indicator that they either added or increased the concentration of ANs.

As we've seen with Red Line oils, POE doesn't really provide Mr. Clean levels of cleaning power. I'd imagine that some of these additive packages come with the co-base built in. From what I've seen, a lot of these look very modular, and they come with instructions telling the blender what works with what and what the end result will be. I don't know enough about chemistry to fully understand what's possible, however, I think it's possible to have everything built into an add pack.

Lastly, if the pour point got worse from the previous iteration, when it comes to Mobil, that should be a clear indicator that they either added or increased the concentration of ANs.
The way it was explained to me was that Red Line will run clean but not actually clean. I don't know enough about it to know what esters clean and don't clean. POE's are polar but there are so many ester types it's anyone's guess. The blenders/additive suppliers certainly know this.

The way it was explained to me was that Red Line will run clean but not actually clean. I don't know enough about it to know what esters clean and don't clean. POE's are polar but there are so many ester types it's anyone's guess. The blenders/additive suppliers certainly know this.
The solubility of the oil breaks down carbon deposits, a beefy detergent and dispersant package help with dissolving and keeping them in the oil, until some of them are caught in the oil filter. That's how image "cleaning" works.

Maybe what they're using in the Triple Action that was born 5 years ago with Red Bull is part of it 🤷‍♂️ EMRE too.

Last edited:
My wife was driving.....kid with provisional drivers license whipped out in front of her. It was determined other driver 100% at fault. Wife suffered cuts, bruises, torn retina and permanent damage to her neck. Fortunately not worse. Car was engineered well enough that the crumple zone worked as intended otherwise wife would be in worse shape or dead. Got a fair settlement. Poor wife has flair ups of neck pain otherwise healed.
Car has only 27K on it. Teen driver walked away without a scratch.

Back