Shoe Goo Tire Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I'd paas this on.

After finding a horizontal gash with a flap of rubber in the sidewall in one of my tires on my Explorer, I went searching for ideas on the subject. The gash was not deep enough (anywhere near the belting) for me to replace the tire but deep enough that I wouldn't be comfortable with just pulling the flap off.

After a bit of googling, I came across this:
Sidewall Tire Repair

I used the spirits as specified (didn't feel comfortable with trying brake cleaner) and applied some ShoeGoo under the flap and then set the flap in place. When I checked the next day, it was barely noticeable. Shoe Goo really is a perfect adhesive for this; it sets as a flexible rubber. The repaired part flexes exactly the same as the rest of the sidewall. After it had dried, I used a bit of black RTV to fill in the divets that were there, and a few other blemishes on the tire. All in all it worked out very well, you have to get really close to notice anything at all.

The tire seen on the site has a gash deep enough that you can actually see the cord. I wouldn't think of using a tire with such damage on a passenger car, its truly too risky. In his case, he's only using the tire when 4-wheeling, where speeds are low enough to minimize the dangers of a blowout.

Great stuff this Shoe Goo. I'm gonna try too fix a few things I couldn't with a standard adhesive.

Last edited:
First, as a tire engineer, I don't think this is a good idea. Rubber used in tires is a heat activated, sulfer cross linking material. Shoe Goo is a ployurethane - which means it has different properties and a different way of adhering and curing. Tire repair rubbers are much more like the rubber used in tires - heat activated, etc.

Further, it takes 24 to 72 hours for the stuff to cure - which means that it there is a leak of any sort, it will not seal the hole.

Here's the data sheet from the manufacturer:

http://www.biosafe-inc.com/_tds/sg_tds.pdf

Notice they say the product has no UV resistance.

BTW, tire manufacturers don't allow repairing of sidewalls on passenger car tires.

Bottomline, I wouldn't do this except in an emergency - and I certainly wouldn't operate the repaired tire at high speed!

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
Just thought I'd paas this on.

After finding a horizontal gash with a flap of rubber in the sidewall in one of my tires on my Explorer, I went searching for ideas on the subject. The gash was not deep enough (anywhere near the belting) for me to replace the tire but deep enough that I wouldn't be comfortable with just pulling the flap off.

After a bit of googling, I came across this:
Sidewall Tire Repair
.....Great stuff this Shoe Goo. I'm gonna try too fix a few things I couldn't with a standard adhesive.

Maybe something else, but not a tire I am going to risk my life on.

If water gets into the cords and rusts them you'll be sorry. I know you say it didn't go all the way in to them...

I don't see how anything can possibly go wrong with this. Explorers are lightweight and are not known to be hard on tires. Plus, you do have four of them so if one tire fails you still have three other good ones.

Great idea.

Don't get overly skittish, I'm telling you this is not a structurally unsound gash.

If it breaks down, worst case the flap opens back up, which I don't think will happen anyway. There is no leak and no intrusion anywhere deep enough to interfere with the cords. I just don't want to pull off the flap and leave the area subject to further damage.

Also remember I said I sealed the seems with black RTV; which DOES resist UV. No Shoe Goo is exposed to the surface.

I had a tire with an 1.50 slice right in the middle of the sidewall. Tire shops said it couldn't be repaired and must be replaced. Well I did nothing, and the tire lasted another 3 years and 30,000 miles before I finally replaced it.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
Don't get overly skittish, I'm telling you this is not a structurally unsound gash.
I'm not being skittish, I think it's a fine idea to use sneaker repair stuff on a tire. And it was invented by a skateboarder and skateboards have wheels. In fact I checked the ShoeGoo website and they don't say NOT to use it to fix a tire on a 4,000 pound SUV. So there you go.

"Let me ask this then, what is the most a tire could be damaged before being unfit to ride on?"

Well, it's hard to say, and this thread is impossible to really comment on without a before/after pic of the repair. But, on the sidewall... I guess my opinion (and that's all it is) if it needs to be repaired, then it can't be repaired.

Well then let me put it this way; this damage didn't really need a repair. I could have pulled off the flap or left it as is and it would be fine for as long as the tread was legal. I wanted to fix it the way I did to prevent worse damage from a curb and for aesthetics.

Don't really see what's so hard to understand about this guy doing a purely cosmetic cover-up on a non-structurally damaged tire!

Personally doubt that this "fix" will hold up to constant flexing a tire sidewall is exposed to, but what can it hurt? IF cord wasn't exposed, and there's no bulge?

Bob

It'll only work if you use the "Tire goo" version.
28.gif

Originally Posted By: Lorenzo
I don't see how anything can possibly go wrong with this. Explorers are lightweight and are not known to be hard on tires. Plus, you do have four of them so if one tire fails you still have three other good ones.

Great idea.

I have one word for you...
Rollover
Economy cars are light not a Explorer. Had one and it is not light at all. That might be why it is classified as a light SUV but, it is certainy it is not light.
Hmmm... do you work for Ford or something? Wasn't there a controversy regarding Firestone tires and rollovers with Explorers? Ford must've thought the same thing. This vehicle is feather-light
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back