Bicycle safety:How not to get hit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff. One thing missing that I saw on Canada's TV station public announcements is that they urge bicyclists to "hold the line", meaning that when you're riding past parked cars, don't swerve into the empty parking spots. Instead, keep riding straight, because you have a higher likelihood of getting hit by swerving in and out of the traffic lane.

The tips in that article are really based only on common sense and the rider's ability to ride in an observant and foresighted manner. I'm not sure in how far you can teach someone those skills. In my opinion you either "got it," or you don't.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
The tips in that article are really based only on common sense and the rider's ability to ride in an observant and foresighted manner. I'm not sure in how far you can teach someone those skills. In my opinion you either "got it," or you don't.

Well a lot of people need reminders as well. I know I do. The one about not riding too close towards the sidewalk/cars is a good one. I try to keep far enough out that someone flipping their door open doesn't take me out.
The problem is cars pulling out of intersections have a harder time seeing you. But I like to keep out of the way of cars coming up behind me so I don't get wacked.

All of this stuff is a balancing act.........

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
All of this stuff is a balancing act.........

That's absolutely right. Also, conditions change from moment to moment, and what may be a basically good idea could prove fatal a second later.

I have ridden M/C and bicycles and the best safty rule is!!!! every one on the road is out to get you. As a M/C or bicycle rider you really do not ever have the right of way because you will never win a confrontation with a larger vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I have ridden M/C and bicycles and the best safty rule is!!!! every one on the road is out to get you. As a M/C or bicycle rider you really do not ever have the right of way because you will never win a confrontation with a larger vehicle.

Yep, that's my mindset when riding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back