03 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running 5-30 PP and I've experienced a .5 mpg gain from synthethetic versus Quaker state 5-30 dino. SInce hearing good things about the regular YB dino I'm thinking about switching to it since the PP is almost double the price. I always run a 6,000 OCI so I think the YB will do just fine.

I've seen mostly compact and larger passenger cars talked about on here, anyone have experience with or a UOA in a half ton pickup or hemi powered vehicle specifically? OR maybe even the Pennzoil Truck/SUV synthetic-blend?

Many thanks!

Prior to 05 the hemi didn't mandate 5w-20. 5w-30 by the book or if you've hopped it up a little a good 10w-30.

Last edited:
The 5w-20 is needed for the lifters in the 05 and later MDS Hemi, a system that uses the valvetrain to reduce the number of firing cylinders. The reaction time of the changes in the valve train requires the thinner oil.

As long as its a 1500 with no loading and in good shape he should be ok. If he does tow or haul a load occasionally I wouldn't run YB at 5w-20.

2500 Rams didn't use the MDS system and spec'd 5w-30 until around 2007 I believe.

Just a note on running conventional oil in a 5.7L HEMI. It can make the infamous "HEMI Tick" louder. Synthetic helps to quiet it down. You may, if switching from PP to YB, experience an increase in or appearance of the "tick". You may want to stick with synthetic if engine noises bother you.

My 04 5.7L HEMI had the "tick" really bad running the factory fill and the Castrol GTX I used for my 1st OC. Once I swapped out to synthetic 5W-30( Royal Purple )at 5K the tick was almost non existant.

If you are going to run conventional try 5W-20. Most people with the tick would swap to synthetic 5W-20 for the best results in quieting that tick down.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see NO reason to switch to 5w-20.

The MPG gain you're seeing will more than make up for the additional cost..... Stick with what works good for you! I am running the PP in my truck also.

Here is what I found. Like everybody else I went to Walmart to get my PP. It went from 19.00 a jug to 23.00 a jug and 5.97 a guart.My truck holds 8 quarts. The yellow bottle was over 3.00 per quart. I was suprised to find that MC Semi-Synthetic was cheaper than YB. This is my first change since new so I bought the MC. My next OCI I will switch to PP looking for sale ads between now and then...

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm probably going to stay away from the 5w-20 since the manual states 5w-30. Mine does have the 'tick' with or without synthetic, I've just learned to live with it, even though I have heard from dodgetruckworld.com that the 5w-20 has curred a good many ticks like you guys mentioned above.

The truck is moded a little... full tube headers, aftermarket y-pipe, superchips, and intake but nothing crazy. I do some occasional towing but nothing too heavy, maybe a car now and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back