21 Ram 5.7 53.4k mi; PP 5w-20 7.5k mi

21 5.7 Ram 1500. This is my 2nd UOA. I ran an initial UOA to determine TBN after a heavy use run. It had about 5k towing on the 7500 mile interval. TBN at 7500 was 2.1 on PP 5-20 running a Mopar filter.

This sample was at around 53,400 and I shorted the OCI 500 miles or so because I was leaving on a 2500 mile towing trip that week. I’ll start doing one every change from here on out to keep an eye on elevated iron (possibly lifter issues).

As of now everything looks awesome. I don’t tow much in the winter so this OCI was mostly City/highway daily commute.
IMG_3659.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another horrendous report from Pennzoil Platinum, this stuff should be banned from the market (Just a joke that a few will get).

Anyways, to be serious...

I don't think you have a concern with your numbers. A UOA every change would be excessive unless you wanted data points. The oil did it's job. Your first UOA at only 10k was probably a waste and shouldn't be used for any kind of analysis other than your TBN want since the engine was still new. If you want to compare to another ram, my UOAs are linked below. Two of them are with Pennzoil Platinum.

I will say, my iron dropped like a rock with HPL, but I only have one data point so it's not a trend just an interesting note.

Sweet, will check ‘em out. Yeah the first one was strictly to check how the oil performed in terms of TBN. I didn’t want to blindly trust to 10k the meter always seems to count down no matter how I drive.

Could stretch it some but 7500 isn’t a short interval and seems to be treating the engine very well with the PP oil. Chrysler likes Pennzoil and being under warranty I stuck with PP. PUP is harder to find and a bit more money so I stayed with PP.

Unless something changes or pricing varies wildly this is the flavor it will be getting for a long time.

Edit:
Looks like my iron wear is more in line with your HPL sample and it looks like your viscosities are higher on the PP than mine show.

I think that is a good regimen to stick with. My father has a 2020 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L, he tows often, and is at 66k miles right now. I've been running 5w20 synthetic to 6k miles, only because he does frequent short trips, and his last Grand Cherokee 5.7L ate a lifter at 200k miles following the 10k mile intervals.

Comparing just these two samples things look healthy & the oil interval seems to be just fine. There will be some lab variance when looking at others results but is a great way to have a general comparison.

Using this oil in the '18 Accent w/ the FRAM Titanium FS9688 ( w/ wire mesh ) . Thanks for the U.O.A..

Back