Thinking about switching to synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0L Supercab 4WD with 56K miles on the odomoter. I currently use 5W-30 Valvoline Durablend. I am thinking about switching to full synthetic. Will I have any problems switching to full synthetic this far into the ballgame? Will it burn oil and start to have leaky seals? Just curious up front. What brand is recommended? Right now, I have my eye on either Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec. Any recommendations? Thanks for any information or advice that you can give.

Nope, won't have any problems at all. People have switched tp synthetic with well over 100K with no problems. Do a search on Mobil 1/Syntec, there's TONS of info.

Changing from 5W-30 dino to Mobil 1 correlates (cause-and-effect admittedly unproven) with the start of what appears to be a cam chain tensioner seal leak in my 2001 VW Passat 1.8T.

Since you are already on a blend, you should have little problem going to full synth, but staying with the same brand of oil may be a sound precaution.

I'm about 1000 miles into a 5000 mile OCI in a 93 Nissan Altima using GC, and it hasn't used a drop of oil so far, this car currently has 359453 kilometers (223353 miles) so you'll be fine with a synthetic oil.

As long as you changed the Valvoline in the 3,000-5,000 mile range, depending upon your type of driving, consistantly you shouldn't really have "crudded" up your seals thus drying them out. I'd change. I did it on my 1989 truck and I din't use or leak anymore oil than I was with the previous 45,000 miles run on dino from new. Though with 56,000 miles on dino you might want to give your engine a good gentle cleaning with Auto RX. This will rejuvenate the seals and minimize leaking or burning, except if you have mechanical problems. There is plenty of info on this site about it. They are a site supporter and you can contact them directly.

Whimsey

Just curious, why switch to full syn? Are you looking for extended drains? Its your money, I'm just giving you some food for thought. There are now lots of $1.50/qt oils that give very good protection.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
Just curious, why switch to full syn? Are you looking for extended drains? Its your money, I'm just giving you some food for thought. There are now lots of $1.50/qt oils that give very good protection.

That was my thought also. Unless racking up extensive highway miles and needing extended oci's, I was wondering about the benefit for this particular engine. I don't think M1 or regular Syntec could necessarily extended oci's beyond the Durablend to make that worthwhile in and of itself.

[ November 27, 2004, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back