Schaeffer's 131C - Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used my first bottle of 131C yesterday for a long trip in my 1999 Ford Explorer, 4.0 SOHC V6 H.O. with over 140,000 miles on it.
It is our tow vehicle for a medium sized, light-weight boat that I towed to central Ohio for the day to do some crappie fishing with a friend down there.

I added my first bottle of 131C at the gas staion and filled up. After travelling about 4 miles down the road I listened for any changes, and looked for any seat of the pants changes as well. None were discernable so I let it slip to the back of my mind.
I thought that probably any changes won't be a matter of easily identifying them as they occur.
Ford calls for, and I use 87 octane in the Explorer. When towing I get engine ping under heavy loads.

So after I get another 12-15 miles down the state rte. I come to a red traffic light at the very base of a big hill with a fair angle of incline.
Before the light turns green my mind has returned to the situation with the 131C and I specifically take note of how the truck is functioning as I take off from a dead stop.
There is absolutely no ping whatsoever! I'm thinking "How cool is that!"
Then I realize that the engine is noticably having an easier time of getting this rig moving up to speed. I don't have my foot into it as much as I should need to. (I've been towing this rig for over six years and know very well how it performs and moves)
Its making better power, and sounding less noisy as it does so.
I'm very pleased at this point and continue to listen to the smoother running engine as I drive for the next two hours to the reservoir.

After an enjoyable day on the water with a friend, I head home and at about 10 miles from home while still on the interstate, my already low gas gauge kicks on the low fuel warning light. This is NOT good! Been here before and it ran dry fast then without pulling a boat. So I make it to the next exit and jump off to get some gas.
After which I head back for the interstate, mighty relieved. The gas gauge had made a faster than usual final drop to the empty warning light that I wasn't expecting.

But I'm safely going down the onramp now and all is good... ...except that as I step on it to get my rig up to merging speed... "PING" .....

... I hadn't added any 131C at the gas station.
frown.gif
(note to self...)

I know its not cheap, and its the first gas additive that I've tried while towing, but I am definitely sold on their capabilities.
I am also willing to compare different ones and look at the cost factors, but I had to share this experience even though it doesn't include any hard science numbers.

But no ping is... no ping.
banana.gif

Stopping ping will keep you knock sensor from activating, and knock sensors usually pull WAY too much timing. You lose power.
Maybe an upgrade in fuel to 89 would be cheaper and provide good results, instead of the additive.

That is a good thought mechtech2. I've thought about it before but never acted on it. It would be easier as well.

You've got me thinking I'll try it this next tankful for comparison purposes.
It won't provide the rest of the benefits of an additive but I'm not sure at this point how often the need to run an additive is recommended either.

Using Schaeffer's as an example, is there a residual moly coating that lasts on average "X" number of miles from the moly coating of the surfaces it creates if one uses the 131C in several consecutive tanks?
If so, what is the recommended interval? I have to find this out.

But I am very impressed with their product.
thumbsup.gif

I don't believe that the fuel additive in question has moly in it. It has cleaning ability, adds lubricity, and somehow enhances combustion to be more complete. Apparently it slows the combustion enough to prevent the pinging. I noticed in the description of the 131C that it even says it will help 87 octane gas to perform like 89, which sounds like what you've experienced. May take several bottles to get combustion chamber and intake really clean. I really like this additive and use it mainly in the summer when towing.

You may be right bmw, for 131C the TD sheet states that it "incorporates the dual functionality of frictional modification and detergency"; nothing specific about their moly product like for their oils.

Ive had REALLY good experiences with Schaeffer's fuel adds for diesel and gas engines. They are the real deal.

JMH

Try Sales Rep, fast service....will buy from again.
I'm using 131C Soy Ultra that I got from him.
Don't know about Canada, maybe Sales Rep knows of one, or checking the Schaeffer website might help.

Last edited:
After the initial strong dose of Soy Ultra to clean out the carbon, a dose of one ounce per 15 gallons keeps things clean. The ping in the Fords is due to carbon build up, so the cleaner the combustion chamber and piston tops, the better the engine will run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back