ZDDP Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CompSyn
To me, it's just cheap insurance that my modified push rod V8 has 1200ppm ZDDP.

If I'm wrong, no big deal. If I'm right, it may be a BIG costly deal.

Better safe than sorry.

That's my thinking as well, especially for modified engines with increased spring rates.

Hi,
perhaps it is always wise to reflect that via the API the "S" Quality series limits the Phos Mass Max @ .08% to the following viscosities 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30. Any more viscous and "C" rated lubricant are exempted. The Mass Min of 0.6% applies.

The first mass sold low Phos/Chlorine lubricant was GC in 1995

As many German Engineers (both Race and Factory) extol today it is the viscosity that matters most of all! And now 0W-20 viscosity Race lubricants have proven to be very effective there - even in long distance events!

ACEA seem to have it right - but then ACEA is an amalgam of Manufacturers - different from the APT

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: RCR
If I gave you a jug of 100% ZDDP, would that be the best lube for your car? Maybe 80% ZDDP? Of course not.

Please point out where anyone has made an argument even remotely along these lines.

ZDDP is so outdated, yet all of the mainstream motor oils are still using it as their primary anti-wear agent and modern HDEOs are still generally running 1000+ ppm P & Zn.

Sure, there are other anti-wear/BL agents out there but they don't seem to be too commonplace in motor oils yet. Fuchs Titan GT1 0W-20 is the only example I am aware of.

LOL Ahhh the INTERNET in all it's glory.
Show me where I said anybody said anything friend. My point is "the more is better" theory falls apart rather quickly. ZDDP is not outdated. There are "other" AW agents that work really well. Anybody believing "I must have more ZDDP" because of my cam or this and that will be surprised how well other AW agents found in todays OTC oils work for them. And Mr. Hillary is correct in the importance of viscosity and it's importance in a successful lube in a harsh environment having priority to AW agents. I guess I should add In My Humble Opinion here so the internet warriors dont get me
smile.gif

Last edited:
I know the Mustang Cam photos are pretty impressive to see, but it boggles my mind to the "why". Unless the XPR series was used vs. standart street oil M1.

RP Street Oils in the 20w and 30w all have about 1000ppm of ZDDP where as M1 has 900. I can't see + or - 100ppm of ZDDP to cause that much wear. So are the Mustang Cam pics saying M1 sucks something terrible, or was this a "race" oil vs. "street" oil comparo?

It was the RP street oil. Maybe their pao base and the ester (Synerlec) additive they use is a good mix. My engine is silent and smooth as glass on RP. I think their 10W40 had the added zddp level also.

I just don't buy it, I mean, M1 also has esters and PAO, as does RP. All the Evo motors I have seen tore down with M1 in use, with race cams etc, have never ever looked anything like this. Including my own cams. If I could post pics on this site without the 10 million steps to do it I would haha. Im not saying M1 is the shizzle, its just I have never seen M1 do that to any cams I have ever seen. Even in race prepped and run Evo's.

The ZDDP on the street RP is around 1000ppm. M1 is 900. I just can't see 100ppm of ZDDP making that much of a diference. RP has synerlec, M1 has Supersyn. So?? Just crazy for sure. Just boggles the mind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I just don't buy it, I mean, M1 also has esters and PAO, as does RP. All the Evo motors I have seen tore down with M1 in use, with race cams etc, have never ever looked anything like this. Including my own cams. If I could post pics on this site without the 10 million steps to do it I would haha. Im not saying M1 is the shizzle, its just I have never seen M1 do that to any cams I have ever seen. Even in race prepped and run Evo's.

The ZDDP on the street RP is around 1000ppm. M1 is 900. I just can't see 100ppm of ZDDP making that much of a diference. RP has synerlec, M1 has Supersyn. So?? Just crazy for sure. Just boggles the mind.

Upload the photos to photobucket and then link them here. There is no evidence that M1 contains any form of ester, there is some evidence that it contains ANs. TAN and oxidation numbers shown in VOAs indicate that both M1's and RP's ester content is minuscule. M1 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, and 5W-30 has no more than 800 ppm phosphorus confirmed by the SM/GF-4 or SN/GF-5 label on the back of the bottle.

Let's not get totally fixated on ZDDP as the only AW compound. Mobil 1/Delvac 1 products have ~200ppm boron and boron has an atomic weight of only 10 whereas Zn is 64 and P 32; so 200ppm is a fair amount of molecules.
I refer you to p.17 of "Lubricant Additives: Chemistry and Applications" by Leslie Rudnick. Boron compunds are highly synergistic with ZDDP as antioxidants and AW effects.
The VOA of my Delvac 1 SHC had 1159ppm Zn but also 235ppm B.

Charlie

WOW!! what a thread
i can honestly say i have never looked that far into the ZDDP thing
i mean, when my new engine had a solid flat tappet go flat 5 years ago i looked into why...
the best i can come up with is you dont need alot of ZDDP unless you are running an aggressive flat tappet, or VERY aggressive solid roller.

and most people just run alot of ZDDP at break-in
then run an oil like rotella.
on my hydraulic flat tappets i use comp break-in additive and rotella
then 1000 miles rotella, then a normal oil
why split hairs?

Originally Posted By: electrolover
WOW!! what a thread
i can honestly say i have never looked that far into the ZDDP thing
i mean, when my new engine had a solid flat tappet go flat 5 years ago i looked into why...
the best i can come up with is you dont need alot of ZDDP unless you are running an aggressive flat tappet, or VERY aggressive solid roller.

and most people just run alot of ZDDP at break-in
then run an oil like rotella.
on my hydraulic flat tappets i use comp break-in additive and rotella
then 1000 miles rotella, then a normal oil
why split hairs?

I agree 100%...

Its just that I feel that many folks consider a high zddp oil a better oil vs one that does not have as much in it. Example, SL vs SM etc.

Many niche oil companies like RP, Redline etc, exploit zddp as that "we wont comprimise engine wear to safe a catalitic converter". Could it just be possible that newer modern engines do not require so much zddp? hence the change?

Could it be that oil itself is just getting better produced? That the oil is the some of its "parts" that are just better than years back?

When I see the mustang cam pics its really puzzles me. I have never seen cams look like that. I know its easy to blame the oil in this case. Its just, if that was happening to every car out there, no one would be using Mobil 1 you know? So is it a fluke or what?

I have asked M1 if their oil contains esters and they said yes. More so in the EP than anything else. So take that for what its worth. How much? I have no idea. Same goes with RP. The XPR's have more ester than the regular street oils, again, they are telling me this. Content % no company will ever give up, we all know that.

So is zddp the #1 package still to combat wear these days? Are modern cars going to "suffer" from lack of ZDDP in order to save their tree hugging cat converters?

I guess these are questions that can only be answered with some serious R&D. From what I have read and found, the answer is No. Then we get pics like the Mustang Cams that kinda throws me a curve ball. Just flat out weird.

I am trying the photobucket thing as recommended. Here are my Evo Cams while using M1 EP 10/30. These cams have seen over 300 WOT dyno pulls and 30K plus miles. These are Cosworth M3 280/272 Race Cams for the Evo IX that were installed over 3 yrs ago.

photobucket

The Above link named photobucket will open up my cam pic. Also, here is another pic of how my valvetrain area looked when I put the cams in initially. Using M1 EP 10/30 since the car was new.

Evo Head

Awesome! It all looks brand new! If you have no issues with the M1 10W30 then I`d just keep on using it.

Last edited:
When I see the mustang cam pics its really puzzles me. I have never seen cams look like that. I know its easy to blame the oil in this case. Its just, if that was happening to every car out there, no one would be using Mobil 1 you know? So is it a fluke or what?

I have seen many cams that look exactly like that. And the 4.6 is a best case scenario, ultra hard powered metal cam lobes and roller followers.

Most of what you are seeing on the Mustang cams isn't significant wear as they'll mic out pretty close, but the discoloration and polishing makes me wonder about applications that are more demanding. See saaber1's results with VW followers and the recommended oils.

Quote:
I have asked M1 if their oil contains esters and they said yes.

That's pretty shocking, as when I've asked them, when they responded to the Q&A here, and when numerous other members here have asked them they respond that it is "proprietary information." Mobil 1 doesn't touch the base oil question with a 10' poll. There have been slip ups here and there, which seem to indicate M1 contains alkylated naphthalene, another group V fluid but not an ester.

Its just that I feel that many folks consider a high zddp oil a better oil vs one that does not have as much in it. Example, SL vs SM etc.

Many niche oil companies like RP, Redline etc, exploit zddp as that "we wont comprimise engine wear to safe a catalitic converter". Could it just be possible that newer modern engines do not require so much zddp? hence the change?

Could it be that oil itself is just getting better produced? That the oil is the some of its "parts" that are just better than years back?

The vast majority of new engines don't require as much zddp because almost all new engines have roller follower valvetrains. The conversion to roller followers has been done since the mid-1980's mostly in pursuit of fuel economy. Then the EPA decided in the mid-90's to hold manufacturer's feet to the fire to warrant emissions control systems for 150,000 miles. This is where zddp levels in oil started to drop. Now SM oil controls Phosphorous in a range of 600-800ppm for -20 and -30 oils. -40 and -50 oils can still go up to 1000ppm. References I have read on other sites say that the anti-wear effects of zddp continue to increase up to about 1800ppm Phosphorous, then there can start to be a corrosive effect on some cam materials.

I believe that your Evo has a roller follower valvetrain, true? If so, then you shouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about cam wear. I have had 6 years of experience in developing roller follower valvetrains, comprising thousands of hours of testing and have never seen a total failure at the roller-cam interface. The trouble spot in a roller follower valvetrain is at the roller axle, where the needles continually pass over the same zone of the axle. And since you have put more aggressive cams and higher-load valve springs in your engine you have made the possibility for failure in this area higher.

I can't tell you with real test data the effect of varying levels of zddp on bearing axle life, but believe that more EP additive is better than less. (Since we develop valvetrains for OEM's, we are constrained to using 0W-20 and 5W-20 grades.) Out of the M1 family of oils, I would ask you to consider either 15W-50, which has 1200P, or TDT 5W-40, which has 1100P. Or Redline 5W-40 is a stout oil, but pricey and not available at your local WalMart. These are good oils for highly boosted engines.

Also, since you're racing your Evo, you don't still have cats on it, do you? So don't worry about high zddp content in your oil. If it were my engine, I would want the extra insurance against engine wear that zddp provides.

Yes the Evo has Roller Followers, and I have not run an SCCA Track in some time. Money is too tight to spend on countless tires and brakes pads right now.

Dave at Redline suggested I use their 5/30 oil. He felt that the 5/30 would help with quicker spool up of the turbo. He felt the 5/30 shouuld be up to the task even with the mods I have.

So maybe my next oil change I will try out the Redline 5/30. It just seems people on BITOG site are kinda mixed on Redline. Wont hurt to try it I suppose? What do you guys think?

Yes, I think the most remarkable thing about Redline oils is the high values of HTHS Viscosity they get for the viscosity grade that they're in.

HTHS for Redline 5W-30 is 3.8 cP.
HTHS for M1 5W-30 is 3.1 cP.
HTHS for Redline 5W-40 is 4.6 cP.
HTHS for M1 TDT 5W-40 is 3.8 cP.

The Redline 30-weight has the same HTHS as M1's 40-weight. This means it will produce the same film thickness as a 40-weight when it is in the engine bearings.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Let's not get totally fixated on ZDDP as the only AW compound. Mobil 1/Delvac 1 products have ~200ppm boron and boron has an atomic weight of only 10 whereas Zn is 64 and P 32; so 200ppm is a fair amount of molecules.
I refer you to p.17 of "Lubricant Additives: Chemistry and Applications" by Leslie Rudnick. Boron compunds are highly synergistic with ZDDP as antioxidants and AW effects.
The VOA of my Delvac 1 SHC had 1159ppm Zn but also 235ppm B.

Charlie

That's a very good point, Charlie. Has anybody published studies on how much of the new anti-wear compounds are required to replace the zddp lost in new oil formulations? We layman that have some knowledge about oils are calibrated to think in ppm of zddp. If I am selecting an oil for a flat tappet engine, I get uncomfortable if the level drops below 1200.

Is there a calculation I can do that says: "if the new oil has 1000 P and 200 B, it will be equivalent to the old oil that had 1400 P"?

I have been emailing Dave at Redline getting info on Redline. I just have used PAO based oils since my car was new, and just am kinda well scared, ok I'll say it, to use it. I don't know how it will be. I know saying "scared" is a little much, its just something "new". Would there be any problem switching from PAO based to Ester Based Oils? Is the seal compatibility the same? Im not sweating the API certs since I believe we all can agree that Redline is one of the best oils on the market regardless of the API stamp or not. I have never ran a 5/30 in my Evo either. Always a 10/30 and a 10/40 breifly while using WMI. Never a 5/30. But from what I have read, the 5/30 may be of some benifit during cold starts, and the redline should hold up to the heat here where I live, as well as whatever crazy heat my turbo puts out.

I was considering maybe going back to WMI (Water/Meth Injection) or getting a E85 Map done on my car. Will Redline hold up to the alcohol based E85 or the WMI injecting Meth at a mixture of 60/40 with water? I am running pump gas for now, but this would be in the future.

So what you guys think? Give the Redline a shot?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back