YouTube strikes again - Can I change oils? - Scotty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by Warstud
Sorry....but I'll have to agree with him on that.
I don't see what the problem is? Synthetic oils usually do clean sludge and start leaking. Not always the case, but usually so on higher mileage engines.

They said the same thing years ago when multi grades first appeared. I remember old timers telling this when I first started. Most off the shelf synthetics these days are group 3 which is just hydrocracked earth oil, basically just a higher performance conventional.
Its the additive package not the base oil that does the cleaning (the ester based base stocks seem to clean) and these additives are also in modern conventional oil.

Its common to cleaning of the ring area and the engine to start using a little oil as this process continues but it usually subsides once the rings are free, the upside to this action is the engine sometimes gain a little compression and better performance.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by jongies3
I actually get a kick out of Scotty's channel but his knowledge on oil is lackluster! We should invite him to BITOG.

I agree
smile.gif

He needs some edumacation on oil
lol.gif

Check the YouTube comments you will see I already did.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex
I hate how much credence people give to this guy

I give him next to zero credence. IMHO, he is, at best, entertainment. So much of what he says/recommends makes my head spin.

So what if he's been working on engines for years? I've been eating ramen for decades - doesn't make me a noodle expert.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
I've been eating ramen for decades - doesn't make me a noodle expert.

Excellent!

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by jongies3
I actually get a kick out of Scotty's channel but his knowledge on oil is lackluster! We should invite him to BITOG.

He's probably here already.

LOL! I know he has to be! He's kindred spirits with many of the unique personalities we have on here.

He had a video a while ago that someone had spoofed on that was titled "Why Turbos are bad" or something to that effect. I was stunned when that was the actual title of his video! He went on to talk about how a turbo is hard on the motor, etc, etc. The guy is too much, I will continue to watch him for comic RELIEF!

Originally Posted by csandste
An automotive Cliff Clavin.

This is a strikingly accurate description, if nothing else in his delivery. However, I kind of felt like Cliff Clavin was sort of very knowledgeable about things.

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
Originally Posted by csandste
An automotive Cliff Clavin.

This is a strikingly accurate description, if nothing else in his delivery. However, I kind of felt like Cliff Clavin was sort of very knowledgeable about things.

Well enough knowledge he at least had a good line of BS.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
I have not watched a bunch of his videos, but I have seen a few, and this one just reinforces what I have believed about him all along. He is someone who has amassed enough knowledge on a subject to sound like he is given sage advice, but in reality all he is doing is telling you what he believes to be true based upon anecdotal evidence he stockpiled years ago.

Yup, he does know a lot about vehicle repair, but he has his quirks from 30 years ago that he sticks to regardless of what reality is. Times change, but he has not. Just in the first 15 seconds he says he has talked to engineers about this, yet he just does not believe it because of his past experience.
Some of his advice is actually good, but picking it out from all the bad can be hard at times.
While I am not subscribed to his channel, he does show up on my recommendations from time to time.

For me, my '04 Elantra, I used syn, conventional, blend and different weights for 140,000 miles with no issues.

Originally Posted by blupupher

Yup, he does know a lot about vehicle repair, but he has his quirks from 30 years ago that he sticks to regardless of what reality is. Times change, but he has not. Just in the first 15 seconds he says he has talked to engineers about this, yet he just does not believe it because of his past experience.
Some of his advice is actually good, but picking it out from all the bad can be hard at times.
While I am not subscribed to his channel, he does show up on my recommendations from time to time.

For me, my '04 Elantra, I used syn, conventional, blend and different weights for 140,000 miles with no issues.

He is a product of his experience. His dad back in the day owned a repair shop and my understanding is Scotty Kilmer being the bosses son and like a typical bosses son, he picked and choose what jobs he did in his dad shop and was self taught that way. Eventually he took over his dad's shop and ran it for awhile and eventually becoming a radio host for a local call in show on auto repairs. That is where his personality evolved from and was pre Youtube.

Scotty Kilmer's limited actual wrench turning days was back before the mid 1980's when cars were still carb'd and non ODB2 and 10W-30 was considered a thin oil.

As someone else mentioned, he is more an entertainer than a conveyor of useful automotive information. He has mastered the under 10 minute attention span most YouTube viewers are looking for and tailors most of his videos for that with many under 5 minutes. They are quick, bombastic and partial circus freak show with his mannerisms.

Originally Posted by Hootbro

He has mastered the under 10 minute attention span most YouTube viewers are looking for and tailors most of his videos for that with many under 5 minutes.

You speak the truth! Kilmer's vids are usually spot on, but lack the details and step by step info necessary to diy the job. For example, in the syn vs conv video, he states that a high mileage car that has always used conv CAN start using or leaking oil after switching to syn. This is true, and may even happen for a few cars out of a thousand. However, on a practical scale it probably doesn't matter, given the small percentage of cars that would be affected. For those cases, one can always go back to conv at the next oil change, or (dare i say) just add stop leak. Of course it would have been more accurate if Scotty just emphasized that this issue is relatively rare. But that is not nearly as entertaining as a shock and awe presentation, now is it!? After all, who watches TV or youtube for full step by step info? For that we have repair manuals.

Maybe YouTube is his retirement fund because he failed at other stuff? I mean he is driving a 20 year old Toyota and owns a 17 year old Lexus he paid $4K for supposedly and in one video he says that he only does 900 miles a year in his Celica. Nothing seems to move in that messy garage of his either.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
He has a garage?

LOL it looks like my neighbor's garage, complete with a path through 50 years of stuff!

The dude repairs cars on his drive way. Jimmy Hoffa may be in his hoarder style garage. He is entertaining, but he might not be all there.

BTW here is evidence that Scotty is right (sort of). In the first post of this thread (https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4734652/1) the OP lists all of the oils and filters used over 200k+ miles in his Honda. He then mentions that he tried Mobil Supersyn bit it developed a leak that went away after switching to PP. Even going from one type of syn to another may cause a leak! This is not exactly going from dino to syn (as Scotty describes), but is evidence that switching between oils can cause a leak or at least be somehow related to the leak. Obviously not a controlled study and the result was not replicated with another run of supersyn, but it is worth noting that it CAN happen (probably in about 1 out of a thousand).

While it "Can happen" it doesn't in engines that switch grades or brands like Scott sugguests. The one exception would be of going from any Conventional to any Synthetic and then it's not the fault of the oil. It's the fault of the conventional and it's deposits that kept the seals from leaking over time.

He probably subscribes to adding 1qt of transmission fluid to the oil because of the extra detergents in it to clean up the engine. This is a really old mechanic advise thing back from when engine oils weren't anywhere near the quality of today.

Originally Posted by StevieC
While it "Can happen" it doesn't in engines that switch grades or brands like Scott sugguests. The one exception would be of going from any Conventional to any Synthetic and then it's not the fault of the oil. It's the fault of the conventional and it's deposits that kept the seals from leaking over time.

Yes. If seals or gaskets are shot, it's not the oil's fault.

Here's a response from Scotty's oil video at YouTube : "Somebody needs to take Scotty out behind the lard cans and show him two separate piles. " Now look Scotty, over here is a pile of [censored] & over here is a pile of shine-ola, Can you tell the difference ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back