Should I use a pre-oil-change cleaner?

Hello,

Watching the video on how to change oil for my car, they mention I should use a pre oil change cleaner: (at 1:00)

Now I never did that, but if I use that every now and then, does it really do anything?

Thanks

Hello,

Watching the video on how to change oil for my car, they mention I should use a pre oil change cleaner: (at 1:00)

Now I never did that, but if I use that every now and then, does it really do anything?

Thanks

I think its popular in some markets because it's seen as a profit center for Independent shops but it should not be necessary with todays oils. More "feel good" than anything else. These flush products really only work on engines which have been neglected in some way.

I don't think a cleaner is going to do me much good. 😄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240117-131401_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240117-131401_Gallery.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20240117-131408_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240117-131408_Gallery.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 25
I've done this a bunch with the Liquimoly Engine Flush (same idea/product basically). Won't hurt but if your engine is very well maintained also probably not doing much. Knock yourself out. What's funny is the same folks here that go on about this being worthless/just change your oil/use good oil also promote regularly another cleaning product....

No need to use a cleaner if you have run most of its life on synthetic. I remember my dad flush our 1941 Pontiac. He used kerosene for the cleaner. 1941 oils don't equate to today oils.

No need to use a cleaner if you have run most of its life on synthetic. I remember my dad flush our 1941 Pontiac. He used kerosene for the cleaner. 1941 oils don't equate to today oils.
Meanwhile there are die-hards in that camp here that had all sorts of bits come out of their engines using another popular product here. There is value for sure the question is the quick-flush products like this...how much do they really remove? It's unlikely much but I always looked at is a "more complete drain"....YMMV

Meanwhile there are die-hards in that camp here that had all sorts of bits come out of their engines using another popular product here. There is value for sure the question is the quick-flush products like this...how much do they really remove? It's unlikely much but I always looked at is a "more complete drain"....YMMV
I'd look at it like a less complete drain. do you really want leftover flush staying in your engine for the next OCI?
you dont get 100% out.

ounces of cleaner arent ounces of HPL... ;)
and its 100% unneeded.
Oh it's needed, you just know that all of your engines are on the brink of destruction from 1) not using LM Engine Flush and 2) HPL oil. RIP Rand's vehicles....sad really...they don't even know what was about to happen...

Oh it's needed, you just know that all of your engines are on the brink of destruction from 1) not using LM Engine Flush and 2) HPL oil. RIP Rand's vehicles....sad really...they don't even know what was about to happen...
Butbutbut.... if I used LM engine & wallet flusher my engine would lose all its sparklies and therefore be blingless.

Motul happens to have a whole line of engine and transmission cleaners. It’s a great profit center. It has all sorts of promises. I’ve never used a cleaner. In fact I only change the oil filter every 2nd change, leaving almost a quart of used oil in the engine. Currently have over 250,000 miles on my Chevy LS engine.

0AE625AF-C160-4E39-AF80-439189F07E93.png

Back