Your instrument panel at speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I'd add some shots of my hot idle oil pressure.

securedownload1.jpg

securedownload2.jpg

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
Just thought I'd add some shots of my hot idle oil pressure.
[pics]

Is that a mechanical oil pressure gauge? It that oil in the line?

Nice scangauge placement! What are the CHT and TFT gauges for?
I usually run mileage, throttle position, water temp, and rpm on mine.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

CHT=Cylinder head temp. Sensor is screwed into the back of the left bank cylinder head. Its a backup sensor in case the water level falls below the level of the water sensor or air bubble prevents a reading. Its used in the activation of the Fail Safe cooling strategy. It runs about 2F higher than water temp so I watch it instead of water.
TFT=Transmission fluid temp, which is exactly what it says on the tin. Sensor is in pan.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: crinkles
eyes on the road, guys...

Do you have any idea how easy it is to do this? You don't even have to look at the camera. You set it on the steering wheel and press the button, basically. Barely even have to look away from the road, no more than for changing the radio station or HVAC settings.

just like texting while driving is easy, and you don't even have to look at it, barely have to look away from the road. sorry but your attention is diverted during that split second and that is all it takes.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

CHT=Cylinder head temp. Sensor is screwed into the back of the left bank cylinder head. Its a backup sensor in case the water level falls below the level of the water sensor or air bubble prevents a reading. Its used in the activation of the Fail Safe cooling strategy. It runs about 2F higher than water temp so I watch it instead of water.
TFT=Transmission fluid temp, which is exactly what it says on the tin. Sensor is in pan.

So how do you get the these sensors signals into the cars computer? I guess some cars have trans temp sensors but I've never heard of a separate cylinder head sensor.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

So how do you get the these sensors signals into the cars computer? I guess some cars have trans temp sensors but I've never heard of a separate cylinder head sensor.

Its factory. Ford started doing it around '99 or so dependent on model.
Quote:
Fail-Safe Cooling Strategy

The fail-safe cooling strategy is activated by the PCM only in the event that an overheating condition has been identified. This strategy provides engine temperature control when the cylinder head temperature exceeds certain limits. The cylinder head temperature is measured by the Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) sensor. For additional information about the CHT sensor, refer to PCM Inputs for a description of the CHT sensor. Note: Not all vehicles equip with a CHT sensor will have the fail-safe cooling strategy.

A cooling system failure such as low coolant or coolant loss could cause an overheating condition. As a result, damage to major engine components could occur. Along with a CHT sensor, the fail-safe cooling strategy is used to prevent damage by allowing air cooling of the engine. This strategy allows the vehicle to be driven safely for a short time with some loss of performance when an overheat condition exist.

Engine temperature is controlled by varying and alternating the number of disabled fuel injectors. This allows all cylinders to cool. When the fuel injectors are disabled, their respective cylinders work as air pumps, and this air is used to cool the cylinders. The more fuel injectors that are disabled, the cooler the engine runs, but the engine has less power.

Note: A wide open throttle (WOT) delay is incorporated if the CHT temperature is exceeded during WOT operation. At WOT, the injectors will function for a limited amount of time allowing the customer to complete a passing maneuver.

Before injectors are disabled, the fail-safe cooling strategy alerts the customer to a cooling system problem by moving the instrument cluster temperature gauge to the hot zone and a PCM DTC P1285 is set. Depending on the vehicle, other indicators, such as an audible chime or warning lamp, can be used to alert the customer of fail-safe cooling. If overheating continues, the strategy begins to disable the fuel injectors, a DTC P1299 is stored in the PCM memory, and a malfunction indicator light (MIL) (either CHECK ENGINE or SERVICE ENGINE SOON), comes on. If the overheating condition continues and a critical temperature is reached, all fuel injectors are turned off and the engine is disabled.

I think the shutoff is 315F or something like that. You can still damage the engine, but it makes it much less likely and you can find a safe place to pull off the road.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
FinalPhotoshoppedSpeedo152mph.jpg

well the title of the thread says "your instrument panel AT SPEED" =D and the needles wont touch unfortunately. long open empty straight stretch of road, just blindly snapped a pic with my phone and it surprisingly came out very well.

FinalPhotoshoppedSpeedo152mph.jpg

well the title of the thread says "your instrument panel AT SPEED" =D and the needles wont touch unfortunately. long open empty straight stretch of road, just blindly snapped a pic with my phone and it surprisingly came out very well.

Dang dude, what car is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back