Would you use this filter? Fram TG11665

I ran into Walmart to pick up a XG7317 (they were out sadly) and figured I'd pick up a TG11665 for my wife's Jeep while I'm there. I was underwhelmed at the filters when I took them out of the box to inspect them. The last one I used had some extra glue but figured no biggie. Both filters I looked at today seemed a bit worse and made me question whether to even run it. There was quite a bit of extra glue (even some way out of place on the pleats) and the media wasn't quite sitting uniform on the end cap. What are your thoughts on this?

image_67509761.JPG

image_67502337.JPG

image_67214593.JPG

Well, since you started this Thread, it seems you are not happy with this Oil Filter, will it really matter, the resident oil filter expert will chime in soon. Welcome 2 this Forum, you are in 4 an interesting experience.

My take, good catch and thank you 4 posting, I hope you also look at whatever air filters you purchase like you did with this oil filter.

Well, since you started this Thread, it seems you are not happy with this Oil Filter, will it really matter, the resident oil filter expert will chime in soon. Welcome 2 this Forum, you are in 4 an interesting experience.

My take, good catch and thank you 4 posting, I hope you also look at whatever air filters you purchase like you did with this oil filter.

Thanks for the welcome, I've actually frequented this forum for many years. Also nice to see a fellow Marylander. I am more so trying to see if there is any real integrity issues with running a filter that looks like that, I'm considering getting a Super Tech filter for her Jeep next oil change as that vehicle gets changed every 5k miles.
That's actually exemplary for Fram these days. 😁
If you're not happy leave it behind...

That's what I ended up doing.

I'm not fussed if the pleats aren't 100% even, but this is very sloppy work. If they could be returned, I would.

Left it on the shelf actually. And I agree it seems like QC is getting worse on this filter as time goes on.

Get an Endurance

I will definitely look into them, but it's really a bit overkill for the change intervals on her Jeep.

Thanks for the welcome, I've actually frequented this forum for many years. Also nice to see a fellow Marylander. I am more so trying to see if there is any real integrity issues with running a filter that looks like that, I'm considering getting a Super Tech filter for her Jeep next oil change as that vehicle gets changed every 5k miles.
If you are changing your oil every 5K and you are changing your oil filter at the same time, just go with SuperTech Oil Filters!

@BMOC91
You got another Marylander here too

Oh shoot totally overlooked that part, nice to see two fellow Marylanders!

If you are changing your oil every 5K and you are changing your oil filter at the same time, just go with SuperTech Oil Filters!

I never really looked into them until recently but for the price and mileage I think it will be better for her application.

Look at others on the shelf to see if they all show the same quality or not. Many times I can look at 3-4 filters same brand/model off the shelf and see some differences in them. Or go buy a different brand ... it's still "Merica". :D

Look at others on the shelf to see if they all show the same quality or not. Many times I can look at 3-4 filters same brand/model off the shelf and see some differences in them. Or go buy a different brand ... it's still "Merica". :D

They had two Tough Guards on the shelf and picture one and picture two are actually of those two filters. Only one of them had the glue shown in picture three.

Did you happen to see where these were made? Should have said on one of the end caps.

I love that you can see what you get with cartridge filters

Agreed, I would happily run Sueprtech filters on a reasonable OCI

I think it is maybe true that if you are doing a 5000 mile OCI, now this is on a car that was bought brand new and at 5000 miles and the oil that was used afterwards was:

1) Mobil
2) Castrol
3) Valvoline
4) Amsoil
5) Pennzoil

That filter is made in Brazil. While nothing would happen if you ran that filter, I would buy the Supertech ST11665 for $2.97, and made in the USA.

If you can take a peak inside the box at the store & try to find a better one. Come prepared with part number for the super tech. Those Super Tech's can be priced right & many folks run them. If you want a near flawless filter check out Microgard Selects at Oreilly's or Napa's house brand. Take it back & go take another look at some filters.

I ran into Walmart to pick up a XG7317 (they were out sadly) and figured I'd pick up a TG11665 for my wife's Jeep while I'm there. I was underwhelmed at the filters when I took them out of the box to inspect them. The last one I used had some extra glue but figured no biggie. Both filters I looked at today seemed a bit worse and made me question whether to even run it. There was quite a bit of extra glue (even some way out of place on the pleats) and the media wasn't quite sitting uniform on the end cap. What are your thoughts on this?

View attachment 217512

View attachment 217513

View attachment 217514
Hi BMOC91,
I believe what is most important is if all the pleat ends are glued to seal them off. If they are you're good to go!

Back