Toyota YZZ-A4 5,000 miles

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
The truck has been run on 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with 5,000 mile intervals since coming off Toyota Care about 6 years (and 60,000 miles) ago. Before the PUP, it was Toyota 0W20. I don’t want a viscosity discussion here, but I got several jugs of the PUP for a very low price, and it is close enough.

I’ve used Toyota filters exclusively. They’re inexpensive, and the quality is excellent. Thick media. NO flaws, holes, tears, etc. and substantial glue/compound on the end caps. I didn’t take a picture before looking at the media but they are great filters. You can just see the glue/end caps in the photo, next to the knife. They’re substantial enough that I could not cut them with the brand new blade in the utility knife. I had to cut around them.

So, great filters. Happy about that.

What’s interesting - those tiny bits of carbon in the filter pleats - the same as seen in my Volvos. Less in quantity, but the same carbon as seen in this thread:

The same carbon as @wwillson has seen in his. I had thought the carbon to be an artifact of the HPL cleaning in other engines. Now, I’m not so certain. Perhaps that PUP is cleaning just as well - or, more properly, keeping the engine clean, removing those bits as they’re created?

I wonder.

IMG_2655.jpeg
;

Last edited:
I just pulled off an a4 filter yesterday off my Tundra. I should go dig it out of the trash and check the pleats.

I just pulled off an a4 filter yesterday off my Tundra. I should go dig it out of the trash and check the pleats.
I would love to know what you find!

I am embarrassed to admit, this is the first one that I cut up and examined. They always looked so clean coming out, I didn’t see the point. Now, I am very curious to see what I find in 5,000 miles (and yes, I am sticking with the flex fuel maintenance minder).

I will transition the truck to HPL once I use up the PUP, and I am glad I have at least one look at the state of “before”.

Only my opinion but I’d bet Pennzoil Ultra Platinum was keeping the interior of the motor really, really quite clean.

I remember the PUP original commercial showing just clean it could keep motors clean. I believe that likely was legitimately a real possibility there.

What I've found is more carbon like deposits like that in the oil filter if the vehicle is used in colder driving conditions. So could just be normal piston blow-by from colder weather use.

Here's my 5.7 Tundra with the Toyota a4 filter and RGT 5w20. 1 yr and 4400 miles.

These are the outside pleats. I did squeeze the oil out of the filter in my clamp so the specks of whatever it is are squished.
1000000848.jpg
1000000849.jpg

And the inside pleats
1000000850.jpg

Here's my 5.7 Tundra with the Toyota a4 filter and RGT 5w20. 1 yr and 4400 miles.

These are the outside pleats. I did squeeze the oil out of the filter in my clamp so the specks of whatever it is are squished.
View attachment 190812View attachment 190813

And the inside pleats
View attachment 190814
Very interesting! Looks like the engine is making this stuff continuously (not a surprise) and both the filter and the oil are doing their job.

I might have a peek under the valve cover next change. Never bothered on this engine (though I did run a UOA several years ago with the PUP, a fine oil).

I simply reckoned that the short interval (flex fuel trucks have the maintenance minder set to 5,000 miles vs. the usual 10,000) along with good TBN on the PUP at 5,000 was probably keeping everything clean.

Back