Would you purchase a $400 car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My absolute best cars have been the ones I paid a couple hundred dollars for. Bought a 1977 Cadillac Eldorado for $400. That was the best car I ever owned. I bought a 1969 Cadillac Seville for $200 because a guy committed suicide in it. Gave me the creeps but was a great car. Drove it 5 years and turned around and sold it for $800 with no history. They make the best cars, you don't care about scatchs, washing them, throw your trash on the floor, clean them once a month. Truly fun low care cars. Love them.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I bought a 1969 Cadillac Seville for $200 because a guy committed suicide in it. Gave me the creeps but was a great car. Drove it 5 years and turned around and sold it for $800 with no history.

I think they have some cars like this listed on copart. Under the search tab click on "biohazard". Like this one:

http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/14162586?searchId=384997297

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Is there some sort of end goal with your question or are we just talking about setting money on fire.

Yes...he's trying to get us to decide if he should buy this car or not, without telling us the make or any identifying information.

NO don't buy it. Sludged with suspicious stuff. First it's your $400, then another 1600 or more in repairs.

$400 and it runs? If you get a month out of it then I would say you got your money's worth!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I bought a 1969 Cadillac Seville for $200 because a guy committed suicide in it. Gave me the creeps but was a great car. Drove it 5 years and turned around and sold it for $800 with no history.

I think they have some cars like this listed on copart. Under the search tab click on "biohazard". Like this one:

http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/14162586?searchId=384997297

No thanks! lol

^ These two posts.. (car51 and the one above it)

Ok. This car is two years newer and has a better shifting trans (no solenoid issue) than a recent car.. Of mine.. Ok.. Think. Think. Think hard.. Its also got 40k less miles.

Now, we have created the situation where I have been given advice.. (EXPLICIT, CRYSTAL CLEAR, BLATANT ADVICE) to NOT buy.. And I sort of already have it figured to work in, without getting into trouble in any way, and also to discover a car in better shape than mine..

To wit, every prediction of car doom has actually come to fruition. (Except for one, and that IS an American car. Think 0W-20 oil debate.) I'm on a road to recovery, I really am.

Maybe, if seller holds the car until Friday,.it will be the distraction I need to maintain the course. SINCE IM TAKING THE BUS TO WORK FROM A HOMELESS SHELTER.

Maybe, in that sense, it will work.

Or.. I could still not buy the car. I need to think about this.

OR.. My friend could buy it, it could be his, and I'll just tool and fool with it and never talk about it until something happens, maybe even discovering a simple way to fix its knock and turn it into a $1500 or so car due to the dent and hood. For that option, press 3 on your touch-tone keypad.

I am also pleased that this thread has incorporated non-this car. Excellent, and well done.

I'm getting back to eat the free food now.. I work hard and enjoy my weekend rest, this will be the last free weekend I have. This job gives out extra time, if you want it. And I want it all. That engine in Nevada.. Heh. Yeah.

You watch.. I'll be set up, self-sufficient, to the point I can resolve some outstanding things (this in collaboration with my father. That is new ad of two or three weeks ago) and have a towing car, and a fun car, and get to being working on the side.. This could turn out greatly. Maybe even before the end of the year.

It starts with me working. Tooling around with this thing in a parking lot on weekends sounds good too. And the $400 car runs better than mine...

If I win this bet, and it DOESNT blow. Then what do I win?
smile.gif

Out of curiosity, are you the same guy who was left stranded in georga recently? If so can you fill in the blanks? You got back home safe?

In short, I have bought/sold/salvaged/scrapped several vehicles in the last 15 years and enjoy it very much. You will be extremely hard pressed to make money at it though, its best to keep it as a hobby until you get formal training.

You win jack squat. Let's look at all the cars you have destroyed. As another member pointed out: LOUD KNOCKING=RUN!!! I personally doubt you CAN or WILL fix it and you are not wise to buy it. Your choice as the SAW SERIES says "your choice, live or die"

You're living at a homeless shelter? I'd say your first priority should be getting a place to live, before buying ANY car. Continue to take the bus to work until you get a place to live, and continue to take the bus after that until you can afford a GOOD car.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
You're living at a homeless shelter? I'd say your first priority should be getting a place to live, before buying ANY car. Continue to take the bus to work until you get a place to live, and continue to take the bus after that until you can afford a GOOD car.

That's exactly correct.

As I already said...

Want isn't a luxury you have, Joseph. You must think need.

Focus on need, and eventually, you can have want.

Sound advice.

+1

Originally Posted By: car51
You win jack squat. Let's look at all the cars you have destroyed. As another member pointed out: LOUD KNOCKING=RUN!!! I personally doubt you CAN or WILL fix it and you are not wise to buy it. Your choice as the SAW SERIES says "your choice, live or die"

If I don't win anything, then I will not take your bet. I actually was looking forward to doing something cool with it.

Originally Posted By: Tosh
It's gotta be those Volvo seats that make some folks so addicted to them, right?

Its the Turbo 5.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
The only vehicle you should buy, is one that you can live in.

But, then you would actually be able to destroy your home, not just your car.

I've done this! Lowlier times.

I'm gonna go in now. They opened the doors. Have a good night! I don't want to lost TOO much in one day. Bad things happen.

Might let my friend get this.. For him, not me.

Joseph: everyone is offering you advice. I saw that car on the craigslist link and it's not pretty. My Volvo technician/old roommate said "he is a fool if he buys that". We are trying to help you so take the advice and look for a older cavalier or maybe Saturn

Originally Posted By: car51
Joseph: everyone is offering you advice. I saw that car on the craigslist link and it's not pretty. My Volvo technician/old roommate said "he is a fool if he buys that". We are trying to help you so take the advice and look for a older cavalier or maybe Saturn

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

That's exactly correct.

As I already said...

Want isn't a luxury you have, Joseph. You must think need.

Focus on need, and eventually, you can have want.

Ok.

It looks like I won't get this car.

Never thought I'd be taking the bus, but. Maybe it had to happen this way.

Yes, I'm at the homeless shelter.

Yes, I'll go see if they are serving dinner.

Yes, I'll fill in cptbarkley via PM.

Then I'm gonna go back to sleep.

If this is what I must do... So be it.

I'm sure I'll have fun in getting a roadworthy car.. Somehow. Maybe a goal.

And I'm about 97.5% sure it will be very similar to this one. In the meantime: Bus.

I fought the road, and FOR NOW, the road won..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back