Looking for advice on buying a car long-distance.

I have found a car in Los Angeles, CA that I am interested in buying.
Problem is, I'm 2800 miles away in Michigan.
It's at a specialty dealer, not a private owner.
I am hesitant to agree to a sale over the phone before I inspect and drive the car.
How would you out there in BITOG land suggest I proceed?

I would fly out and see the car with my own eyes.
No deal until I inspect and then they get bank cashiers check.

Well worth every penny for flight and hotel.

There was a guy on BITOG living on the East coast and he flew out to the West coast to buy a German car (I forget the brand). He drove it across the country back home to East coast.

He also posted photos of trip. (y)

Last edited:
I have found a car in Los Angeles, CA that I am interested in buying.
Problem is, I'm 2800 miles away in Michigan.
It's at a specialty dealer, not a private owner.
I am hesitant to agree to a sale over the phone before I inspect and drive the car.
You cannot drive it off the lot without paying California sales tax. You have to take delivery in Nevada. OR have it shipped to a nearby state with a "certified Bill of Lading" and take delivery there.

What car? Is there a type club e.g. PCA, BMWCCA, etc. that you can leverage? Always best to see the car in person and drive it, but using a trusted inspector works. You could also research indys in the area for inspection. I've done all the above successfully w/ specialty cars.

Does he have any Yelp or Google reviews? Yes they can be fake but it would be apparent. If you don't want to physically check it out, ask if he is willing to take it to the dealer of that make for a PPI. I've probably sold over 100 cars on Ebay sight unseen but have excellent feedback and don't usually get paid in full until delivered.

Have you considered one of the nationwide companies that provide pre purchase inspections? I looked into one when I was considering buying an SL550 that was 1600 miles away.

The one that I looked into is Lemon Squad. They provide different levels of thoroughness, and also take bunch of pictures for you. And they claim to have some of their inspectors/mechanics, or whatever is best to call them, that have experience with different types and brands of cars, so they know what particular conditions that may need to be looked at.

They will go to the dealership and inspect the car there. When I was going to use them, the salesman at the dealership was cooperative, and was willing to allow the mechanic to take the car for a test drive.

Who would want the liability that goes with that?
What liability? I understand not wanting to just find any old random member living in LA but if it's someone that has knowledge and is willing I would much prefer that over paying a company that I know nothing about to do an inspection. Personally I've purchased 3 vehicles now out of state and I've had either a family friend or family member look at each before I traveled out to buy. These people know very little about cars but were able to answer detailed questions of mine when they were in person looking at the vehicle...that's all the OP really needs here is someone that can notice details/defects on a look-over and be able to look at what they are directed to.

I would fly out and see the car with my own eyes.
No deal until I inspect and then they get bank cashiers check.

Well worth every penny for flight and hotel.

There was a guy on BITOG living on the East coast and he flew out to the West coast to buy a German car (I forget the brand). He drove it across the country back home to East coast.

He also posted photos of trip. (y)
I lived in San Diego and before moving to CO, flew to Charlottesville, VA, bought Tiguan, drove it to San Diego in 2 1/2 days.
Got X5 in Minneapolis, drove it to CO.
Got 328 I have now in DC, drove it back.

I live in MN and flew down to OK to get my bmw. I recently helped my coworker get a car from IL. I’d suggest talking with a sales manager.

What liability? I understand not wanting to just find any old random member living in LA but if it's someone that has knowledge and is willing I would much prefer that over paying a company that I know nothing about to do an inspection. Personally I've purchased 3 vehicles now out of state and I've had either a family friend or family member look at each before I traveled out to buy. These people know very little about cars but were able to answer detailed questions of mine when they were in person looking at the vehicle...that's all the OP really needs here is someone that can notice details/defects on a look-over and be able to look at what they are directed to.
There are people that do this professionally. Hire them. It is still a liability. You had people that knew nothing about cars......talk about cheap.

There are companies out there that do this. The qualifications obviously vary however you won’t be completely blind to sellers word or pictures.

I mean it would obviously done on a best-effort basis with no liability. I'd look at a car for someone if it was convenient for me and they asked nicely. But if the engine blew up two weeks after they bought it that wouldn't be my fault lol. No different than looking at a car for a friend or family member which I'm sure most people on here have done at least once.

There are people that do this professionally. Hire them. It is still a liability. You had people that knew nothing about cars......talk about cheap.
I think you're missing the point that I still traveled out myself and drove each one before completing the purchase. Basically, it wasn't completely sight unseen. Yes, it is possible that I would have to just fly right back again and not buy if something was amiss but the fact that someone else that I trust as a person looked for anything obvious is better than nothing IMO. You don't have to know anything about cars to be able to look for rust, door dings, etc. as instructed.

A few years ago I went and looked at a Porsche that was at a dealer in Scottsdale for a BITOG member located out of state, it was 10 mins away and I'm always down to check out a car. Showed great in pictures but was junk in person.

Back