Worth it to get 1997 Silverado AC going?

So the condenser was just cracked enough to let the gas escape but not open to environment otherwise? If so change the accumulator/dryer, vac down long and hard to boil of any moisture and refill with gas. No sense changing parts or flushing lines unless you know the compressor grenaded and sent metal everywhere in the system.

So the condenser was just cracked enough to let the gas escape but not open to environment otherwise? If so change the accumulator/dryer, vac down long and hard to boil of any moisture and refill with gas. No sense changing parts or flushing lines unless you know the compressor grenaded and sent metal everywhere in the system.
I believe a deer was hit. Bent bumper, hood, radiator support, cracked condenser, and damaged grille. No lines open to the environment.

Not sure....I'll go look at it.
See how the first one has a split in the middle. You don't want that style. You want the sanden copy like the 2 and one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230917-083010.jpg
    Screenshot_20230917-083010.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20230917-082937.jpg
    Screenshot_20230917-082937.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 19
If the condenser was cracked, all lines were open to the environment, no?
I was more concerned with open ports on the compressor/lines where dirt/insects/water could physically get inside. A cracked condenser means yes it was open to atmosphere but not enough for debris to ingress. A good vac down with the accumulator/drier change should be more than enough.

Wife's Fiesta sat for 6 months with a rock through the condenser before I could get to it. Just vac it down and recharged with a little oil since I know some of it leaked out.

You may also need to add oil to the accumulator when you replace it.

Thanks for all the good advice and info. I'm actually looking forward to getting the front rebuilt and seeing if it will take a charge and not leak.

If the truck is not all rotted out and is in good mechanical condition, in today's market it's absolutely worth fixing the A/C. Especially if you live where it's unbearable without it.
These days in the US that's pretty much everywhere but maybe Alaska.

I remember the days when A/C was not standard and you could buy a kit from JC Whitney to add A/C to your car.

These days in the US that's pretty much everywhere but maybe Alaska.

I remember the days when A/C was not standard and you could buy a kit from JC Whitney to add A/C to your car.

I remember those kits as as well and loved my JC Whitney catalogs.

I also recall buying vehicles without A/C and really not having a problem with that. Some of them were brand new purchases. I wouldn't want to own a daily driver w/out it today. I dunno if it's me or the way vehicles are designed today. The climate hasn't changed much in the Buffalo NY area.

I remember those kits as as well and loved my JC Whitney catalogs.

I also recall buying vehicles without A/C and really not having a problem with that. Some of them were brand new purchases. I wouldn't want to own a daily driver w/out it today. I dunno if it's me or the way vehicles are designed today. The climate hasn't changed much in the Buffalo NY area.
I am glad I did not have money to burn when I was a kid looking at the JC Whitney catalogs or I might have actually have bought some of their stuff(junk).

Nice truck! My first truck was a 97 extended cab with a 5.7 like yours.

Simple to work on and parts are cheap. I would hold onto that one as long as you can!

See how the first one has a split in the middle. You don't want that style. You want the sanden copy like the 2 and one
I used a Sanden on my 98 K3500 and a Seltec/Valeo on the 98 K1500. Both one piece cases and so far no leaks after many years.

Back