Worth it to get 1997 Silverado AC going?

I have a 1997 Chevy Silverado 5.7 that I have finally bought a junk yard radiator support and condenser to put on it. The previous owner hit a deer and pushed it in and cracked the condenser. The AC hasn't worked for several years. What would be the odds, with a new accumulator, of it charging up and working?
IMG_3133.jpg

AS mentioned above change o-rings, shrader valves and such and flush well. Do a good long couple hour evac to check for leaks and burn out moisture. Then add the correct amount of oil and charge. I think it will probably work fine!

Thanks for the info. I'm sure that most of those things are pretty cheap. I know an accumulator is less that 25 bucks.

Parts are cheap and labor isn't bad. The labor went up a lot with the gmt 800 so i say it's worth fixing. As mentioned the o rings are the worst, cheapest but most annoying part to fail in the ac system.

I have a 1997 Chevy Silverado 5.7 that I have finally bought a junk yard radiator support and condenser to put on it. The previous owner hit a deer and pushed it in and cracked the condenser. The AC hasn't worked for several years. What would be the odds, with a new accumulator, of it charging up and working?View attachment 178831
tellya the truth, those trucks will run a long time. I'd fix it, parts for those trucks are cheap.

I would. I have two 98 Chevy trucks and re-did the systems in both trucks back in 2007 and 2010 respectively and they both still blow ice cold. I did replace everything in both systems except the evaporators though.

You saw my truck. Yours looks way better than mine and I'm going to get mine going better. Funny story. I have been putting off driving my truck because the ac doesn't work but I recently found I had take out the compressor fuse under the dash without realizing I didn't put it back in. It actually does work. It still sucks but works ok on a good highway drive and better than just the windows for sure. I had an appointment to get it looked at but forgot to take it in. Gonna do it soon.

If the truck is not all rotted out and is in good mechanical condition, in today's market it's absolutely worth fixing the A/C. Especially if you live where it's unbearable without it.

Back