Wondering about manufacturer Oil requirements VS dealer practices

A 2024 KIA Soul 2.0L MPI iVT, the subject vehicle's owner's manual suggest a brand "KIAENERGIES" and requires "Full Synthetic 0W-20, API SN PLUS/ SP or ILSAC GF-6". The brand "KIAENERGIES" is also printed under the hood in large letters. I am not concerned much about the Brand Name not being available anywhere, not even at the dealerships. But I wonder why KIA would continue to print labels and affix them under the hood and suggest it in the Owner's Manual knowing the Brand isn't available or in use by the dealers. I am concerned however, why when asked, the dealers say they use 0W-20 Pennzoil but cannot comment on the "Full Synthetic 0W-20, API SN PLUS/ SP or ILSAC GF-6" because they say it comes in bulk containers and they don't know. I also wonder what Bob and some of you think about this.

Think about what? I'm not sure what is the question. Whether Pennzoil 0W-20 is a synthetic? This would be on the drum or bulk container, they aren't blank.

Bob may not comment.

The Pennzoil they are using will be API SP/GF6 at this point, it meets the manufacturer requirement without an issue. Any of the older formulations will have been depleted long ago, and they also meet the spec anyway.

I am concerned however, why when asked, the dealers say they use 0W-20 Pennzoil but cannot comment on the "Full Synthetic 0W-20, API SN PLUS/ SP or ILSAC GF-6" because they say it comes in bulk containers and they don't know.
Easy answer...find another dealer because they are either full of bovine scatology or are unethical.

Think about what? I'm not sure what is the question. Whether Pennzoil 0W-20 is a synthetic? This would be on the drum, they aren't blank.
They are not blank. Answering your question - What do you think about dealers commenting as if they were?

TBH, I suspect many dealers don't use the oil listed in the manual. A semi syn 5W20 probably is a very suitable replacement for 0W20 "synthetic", and gives the dealer a bit more profit for "no harm done". I found the Outback to have a bit more discoloring/varnish than you would expect for an actual synthetic oil after using the dealer for changes for the first 6-7 changes. I didn't call them on it, as I don't think its a real problem. But after 6 of my changes, with syn, the color down the fill hole hasn't changed.

They are not blank. Answering your question - What do you think about dealers commenting as if they were?
That's an issue with your dealer. You may desire to visit another shop where they can answer the question.

I don't know about Kia but I can tell you that Volkswagen dealerships are not required to comply with whatever the manual recommendation happens to be.

Most, if not all of these KIA/Hyundai dealerships won't say or don't know what kind of bulk oil they're selling. Just walk into one of their service departments and ask, and you'll see.
I've asked. I've seen. Wondering what others think.

Not so easy for me as you I guess. There's 4 dealers in my town. I've asked them all.
Change it yourself? Else, if the dealer is doing the work and something goes sideways from the oil used, the monkey is on their back anyway.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum
As for being 100% sure, only you going and seeing the bottle/bulk delivery would clarify it 100%

A neighbor just took a Hyundai into our joint H/K service department, and this is all the R.O gives for specifics
1000009323.jpg

I highly doubt any Pennzoil 0W20 isn't a full synthetic oil. Any current spec 0W20 will be considered a full synthetic oil. Pennzoil is highly regarded on this website.

Here the supplier will ask you what specs you need. Then supply you with lube that meets the specs. If nobody at the dealer knows they can look up the brand and see what's needed.

Back