Wix Filter with no visible filter media

I have a Wix 57488 that I purchased from RockAuto and went to change the oil on my tractor and to my surprise I don't see any filter media, just a metal interior sleeve.

Has anyone seen this before? Couldn't get the greatest of photos with my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_20230419_173124677.jpg
    IMG_20230419_173124677.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_20230419_173016274_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230419_173016274_HDR.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 247
I took the old filter off, which was a Fleetguard, made in France, whereas the Wix was made in Germany and it was exactly the same. Based on a pinned post in this section I think it's because it has microglass filter media which needs extra support.

I have a Wix 57488 that I purchased from RockAuto and went to change the oil on my tractor and to my surprise I don't see any filter media, just a metal interior sleeve.
The media is between the center tube and the can. You should be able to see media through the center tube holes or louvers (whatever it has). Need photos with the flash to light up the center tube holes/louvers.

Last edited:
The media is between the center tube and the can. You should be able to see media through the center tube holes or louvers (whatever it has). Need photos with the flash to light up the center tube holes/louvers.
Yep it has them, I could barely see them with my own eyes but couldn't capture that detail in the photos I took, even with flash.

Yep it has them, I could barely see them with my own eyes but couldn't capture that detail in the photos I took, even with flash.
Try with a flashlight. The camera's flash will reflect off the foreground and make the interior of the filter even darker. Or cut the old filter open.

I took the old filter off, which was a Fleetguard, made in France, whereas the Wix was made in Germany and it was exactly the same. Based on a pinned post in this section I think it's because it has microglass filter media which needs extra support.
Is there a particular reason why you switched from the Fleetguard unit?

... to my surprise I don't see any filter media, just a metal interior sleeve.
I didn't say that. I was referring to not being able to see the louvers/slits in the inner filter support until I looked closer.
From how you described it, you made it sound like you didn't see any media because it might have been missing all together, only the center tube. Well, if you don't use a good flashlight and don't look carefully on any oil filter you may not be able to see the media through the center tube holes/louvers.

Back