Wix Filter Failure - WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
From another site. I don't think this has to do to Wix quality. Something amiss with the installation I suppose. But still, what a mess.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...;gonew=1#UNREAD

6276792-Oilspill10-30-10002-1.jpg

6276790-Oilspill10-30-10001-1.jpg

Call Wix and they will want you to send it in if you still have it. I don't see how snugging down with a filter wrench should cause that. Strange. Did the gasket material feel hard/brittle?

I was expecting a blown apart filter. I'd say installer error, Not enough oil on the gasket or it was overtightened, or both.

I also noticed that Wix filters seem to always seep oil from the gaskets. Everytime I`ve used them the filter will always have oil on the outside of the can after they`ve been installed for awhile.

Quote:
....hand tightened it, gave it another half turn with my filter wrench...

When you think about it - THAT'S OVERTIGHTENING!!!!!!!!!!

I think Wix has some issues, but this isn't one of them. IMHO.

I'm going with a gasket material issue, I had the exact same problem with a puroloator, however I only tightened hand tight... and still had seeping oil from the filter.

You sure this wasn't a Fram? j/k
Probably a bad gasket, too brittle.
I can't see how the installer could have made this happen.
Just the type of random failure that can occur with any oil filter.
Or, is there a burr on the mating surface which caught the gasket as the oil filter was tightened, and caused it to tear?
+1 on the mess.
I know that my wife would be unimpressed with my mechanical skills, and would figure that it had to have been my screw-up in some way.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You sure this wasn't a Fram? j/k
Probably a bad gasket, too brittle.
I can't see how the installer could have made this happen.
Just the type of random failure that can occur with any oil filter.

Is it possible the gasket from the previous filter stayed on? That could cause all kinds of strange squeezing and distortion. A brittle gasket does seem the most likely, however. I've used literally hundreds of Wix filters and never seen such a thing.

Oil filters only need hand tightening. Make contact, then 1/2 to 3/4 turn. That's it! The wrench should only be used to get it off.

dont know what happened here, but in another lifetime,,,I worked at a service station,,,the owner told us to double check and make sure when u pull off the old oil filter, that the gasket comes off still attached to the old filter.....sometimes the gasket stays attached to the oil filter housing and when u put on the new filter , now u have 2 gaskets and u will have leaks and such**********now i still look and make sure i the old gasket is not still setting in the oil filter housing.

Is it me or does the part that is broken off look rather dry? Could it have broken from the seal not being lubed and getting stuck/seized and breaking off during installation?

I use NAPA GOLD oil filters on all my cars, they are WIX filters.

On my Corvette, I always use the torque, 22 ft-lbs, that is recommended, as some people have had leaks with just hand tightening.

22 ft-lbs is almost 2 full turns after contact. I have NEVER had a filter leak. So, I doubt that this was from over tightening the filter.

PS: I lot of people complain on how tight the Corvette filter from the factory is installed, probably due to this high torque. My Nissan Murano specifies 11-15 ft-lbs.

Last edited:
Installer failure. Didn't lube gasket and/or overtightened filter.

Always 1/2-3/4 (~2/3) turn after gasket contact. Never had a leak on diy filter change with any brand of filter.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
When he went to put the filter on he bumped the gasket. The gasket got knocked partway out of it's groove and when he tightened the filter it got cut.

My thoughts anyway.

Makes perfect sense. He said he lubed the gasket.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
dont know what happened here, but in another lifetime,,,I worked at a service station,,,the owner told us to double check and make sure when u pull off the old oil filter, that the gasket comes off still attached to the old filter.....sometimes the gasket stays attached to the oil filter housing and when u put on the new filter , now u have 2 gaskets and u will have leaks and such**********now i still look and make sure i the old gasket is not still setting in the oil filter housing.

Been there, done that! A perfect example of where two is not better than one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back