Wife's 2013 Hyundai seized up today 94k miles

I don’t keep the best records, but meticulously maintain all of my new machines.

I’d happily pay $195 for a valve cover removal and engine replacement.
Same. The service advisor made it sound like it was no big deal and showed me a picture of another one that had 200k on it and was clean as a whistle.

Only thing I'm worried about is the last oil change I did was m1 0w20 high mileage, just for the coldest part of our winter, easier starts etc. I just realized 0w20 isn't in their recommended viscosity chart, even though I know it's no different than using a 5w20 which it ran in conventional form for years.

Only thing I'm worried about is the last oil change I did was m1 0w20 high mileage, just for the coldest part of our winter, easier starts etc. I just realized 0w20 isn't in their recommended viscosity chart, even though I know it's no different than using a 5w20 which it ran in conventional form for years.
They can't test the difference

My personal experience with Theta II is a little thicker never hurt anyone
What part of the country are you in that cold start performance is a concern?
Because in NYC (single digits 🥶), they start just fine with 5w30/40

My personal experience with Theta II is a little thicker never hurt anyone
What part of the country are you in that cold start performance is a concern?
Because in NYC (single digits 🥶), they start just fine with 5w30/40
I will stick with 5w30 again if we get our new engine. We're in Ontario Canada. We didn't really get much cold this year. Never had an issue with starting except the 3 times the starter lever (inside the starter) failed. I figured maybe it would help with that.

Update: Hyundai approved the engine. Wife is picking up rental car now. They said hopefully no more than 2 weeks until it's ready.
I would have tried to talk my wife into getting rid of the Sonata if I didn't think the engine was likely to be covered by warranty. I'm not an optimistic person and I assumed that this day would eventually come.

Update: Hyundai approved the engine. Wife is picking up rental car now. They said hopefully no more than 2 weeks until it's ready.
I would have tried to talk my wife into getting rid of the Sonata if I didn't think the engine was likely to be covered by warranty. I'm not an optimistic person and I assumed that this day would eventually come.
Hopefully its not a Hyundai rental car that leaves you and your family stranded and in a dangerous situation again.

Hopefully its not a Hyundai rental car that leaves you and your family stranded and in a dangerous situation again.
I think we can take our chances with anything for the next couple weeks. Not heading out on any long trips anytime soon. Usually we take my 84 Oldsmobile on the long journeys, along with a toolbox and some spare parts.

Luckily the timing of the engine failure was reasonably convenient.

The rental car. It is a Hyundai.

20240319_173351.jpg

A review would be appreciated. It is their bottom end offering. I was told it is basically an around town car. Not something that feels great on the highway. And seats were uncomfortable. But that is all subjective to the reviewer.

A review would be appreciated. It is their bottom end offering. I was told it is basically an around town car. Not something that feels great on the highway. And seats were uncomfortable. But that is all subjective to the reviewer.
I actually haven't driven enough comparable vehicles for my opinion to be worth anything and I don't believe I'll be on the insurance anyway in order to drive it.
It's most likely going to feel cheap and uncomfortable to me compared to my Oldsmobile or even my 2005 Silverado. I also hate the electric power steering on modern vehicles including the Sonata.

I don't value the same things in a car as other people. Longevity and repairability are the most important things to me which is why I've been driving the same Oldsmobile for almost 20 years now. Safety, features and fuel mileage not as much.

Back