Wife's 2013 Hyundai seized up today 94k miles

Someone on Reddit had their warranty denied since they didn't save their oil receipts when doing DIY oil changes and told they were SOL.

OPs dealer seems to have a fair policy to check for sludge. Is that written anywhere?
They told my wife that verbally but also told the same thing to my old coworker when he was the manager at the shop I worked out.

Who was blowing up 6.0 diesels? The bottom end of those things were rock solid.

Usually they didn’t spend enough time running due to head gasket, egr cooler or injector issues for the lower end to ever have problems.
My buddy @slammds15 had an '05, so it had the updated head bolts, he had it turned up to 11 most of the time, had a tuner on it, went through a few EGR coolers until he deleted the EGR, a set of injectors, FICM, branch tube adapter and I think that's it? Probably needed an oil cooler. That truck worked amazingly well, and took an obscene amount of abuse. It definitely had its issues with certain parts attached to the engine, but the longblock was solid.

Meanwhile a local big 3 dealer won't even sell you parts for a vehicle over 10 years old lol
I got a Ford fuel tank selector switch for my 78 f250 from the local dealership. It was $60 cheaper than Napa. My brother in law also got a Motorcraft ignition switch for his 74 there. Sounds like your local dealers just refuse to search for stuff.

Who was blowing up 6.0 diesels? The bottom end of those things were rock solid.

Usually they didn’t spend enough time running due to head gasket, egr cooler or injector issues for the lower end to ever have problems.
Google is your friend here. I not searching for you. PLENTY of info on this fiasco.

Google is your friend here. I not searching for you. PLENTY of info on this fiasco.
I’m going off of first hand experience as a dealership tech during that time and what I saw was a whole lot of problems BUT not very many lower end issues. Like everything they bolted to the rotating assembly was suspect as was much of the electrical but the base engine itself was a strength improvement over the 7.3 it replaced.

I’m going off of first hand experience as a dealership tech during that time and what I saw was a whole lot of problems BUT not very many lower end issues. Like everything they bolted to the rotating assembly was suspect as was much of the electrical but the base engine itself was a strength improvement over the 7.3 it replaced.
Yeah, @slammds15 was working for an International dealership during that time and they put those engines in a LOT of school buses, so he saw the VT365 (PSD 6.0L) daily. They were a good engine with a lot of bad bolted to them (aside from the head bolt issue).

Like the negative stuff. The difference between Hyundai and the manufacturer of the (diesel) 6.0 is that they actually stand behind their motors. And you only have to replace the motor once.
Now-there is another scenario with their 10 speed automatic transmissions in the F150 and other vehicles.
Agreed. I have absolutely zero respect for that automaker. Between what they’ve done (or haven’t done) to/for customers with the automatic transmission Focus and their timing chain issues, I’ll never have one.

Lets just say that after 50+ years in the auto industry, there should be no reason for engines to lock up unless there is a manufacturing defect imho,,,of course running an engiine out of oil may help it brake early...lol

I would like to take a moment to thanks whistle blowers for what they do.

My wifes 11 year old Sonata 2.4 with 94k miles seized up today on the highway. Got towed into the shop I used to work at. I was still there when we pulled the belts off and tried to turn the engine by hand. It was seized solid. Oil completely full and it's never actually burned a drop.

My wife visited Hyundai and they confirmed that it is covered, unlimited engine warranty. Have to provide oil change records and if they aren't happy with them then they will charge $195 to pull the valve cover and check for sludge (there won't be any).
They will also cover a loaner vehicle.

I believe the only reason for this incredible coverage is the whistle blower who lost their job over this and the investigation etc that came out of it.
Your lucky it's the 2.4 From my understanding the smaller motor also had Similar issues but Hyundai never "Officially " extended the warranty nor would replace it.

Oil completely full and it's never actually burned a drop.
Well there you go. In order to burn oil it has to be pumped around. Sounds like, if it burns oil, it is a good motor and will last a long time. :unsure:

Back