Wife Wants New Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Chicky" and "family vehicle" don't always mix. Probably easier than an extreme dude car (jacked up Jeep, Camaro/Challenger/Mustang, etc.) but still.

I'm kinda in the boat with you here- the only car I've ever seen my wife just totally bond with has been her PT Cruiser. Its going to be almost as bad as putting down a pet when she has to give it up (maybe as soon as this spring). We've been talking about replacements, and *nothing* has struck her fancy the way the PT did :-/ And to be honest, its been perfect for its job. I don't like driving it much, but then I rarely have to.

Of your list, I'd look at the Outback. Subaru is the one brand CUV that I actually react positively to, all other CUVs are a total turn-off. And no, I wouldn't go near a Volvo wagon... :)

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
[Quote-Phishin:] "This is a considerable chunk of change for us"

If money is the issue, switch cars with your wife and let her take the Accord!

This is where im at. If its a lot of $$ for ya...why do it?..why?

It gets more and more expensive by the day to live. The middle class is disappearing and I think its gonna get much worse, pretty fast, before its gets better...WE are the consumers, we are slaves to marketing and its all I want, I want, I want.

Im not picking on your Wife....absolutely not, we are all at question here....financial pressure sucks, its more stress, less living.

Just my 2c...

I kind of agree, if the Altima is in decent shape, just swap cars. OTOH maybe its better to sell the Altima while its worth something before its scrap.

Another vote to swap cars and see how that goes. Winter is almost over (never came to CA) - no need for AWD soon, so see how the car swap does over the spring/summer. Keep saving $ in the car fund in the meantime. Don't be a slave to payments for something that you truly don't need.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
My 36 year old wife wants a new vehicle.
[...]
Looking for a great "family" vehicle that will be reliable and fairly bullet proof.

Last time I had that "issue" my wife demanded a minivan as all her friends drove one. After some negotiations, she compromised on a car that would seat at least 7. I got her a new RAV4 with 3rd row seats. We used those foldable seats only a few times. It's a great towing car though. But, not quite reliable like your typical proverbial toyota.

Friends of ours had an Altima and they miss it. The adore their CRV (anti-mini van unlike my wife thank goodness). Prior to the CRV acquired 2 or 3 years ago, they went through a Durango and Exploder which were ... .

They HATE the husband's Volvo due to what they think is an overly large turning radius.
good luck

And, my brother's wife loves their Honda Fit.

Kevin

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Miller88

If a tree fell on my Focus today and I had to get a new vehicle - the Spark (but not in pink ...) would be on my list!

Its lines may not be for everyone, but Ive had one as a rental more than once, and it really isnt bad...

Not at all! With the 5 speed manual it's actually kind of fun to drive. Fast, no. The fact that I couldn't get it to dip below 40MPG was also nice.

Well, here's mine

Subie- you can never go wrong with these....

Mazda 5- I'm surprised no one mentioned these. Good on gas, and it's kinda like a baby minivan, but much cooler looking.

Only one downside to these. Get it rust proofed......

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
My 36 year old wife wants a new vehicle.
[...]
Looking for a great "family" vehicle that will be reliable and fairly bullet proof.

Last time I had that "issue" my wife demanded a minivan as all her friends drove one. After some negotiations, she compromised on a car that would seat at least 7. I got her a new RAV4 with 3rd row seats. We used those foldable seats only a few times. It's a great towing car though. But, not quite reliable like your typical proverbial toyota.

That's interesting, I toyed with getting one just like that, V6/tow/3rd row. I got turned off by the reliability issues I heard about the V6 and the automatic. That, and the payments, and the mpg as it'd would have been a daily driver.

I upgraded the wife into our Camry, and she seems to really like it. Manual transmission, electric windows, not much else... Keyless entry is missing, that's the one thing we wish we had. Maybe, just maybe, BT for the phone.

Drive old altima a bit more, save up another 5 grand, buy a brand new Accord LX. One of my relatives has 300k on an altima older than yours, so they will last. Hold out for brand new is what i would do.

At least in my area, used Hondas are not worth buying. Too expensive and worn out compared to new.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
OTOH maybe its better to sell the Altima while its worth something before its scrap.

How much is a 14-year-old altima with close to 200K miles realistically worth? According to Edmunds, it's worth less than $1K, but I suspect it's probably higher than that. If it's in decent running shape, then maybe $2-3K? Used car prices seem to be pretty high these days...

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: Danno
Recommend staying away from the GM Equinox 2.4L family. Heard too many timing chain problem stories.

The only issues with the 2.4L I've heard were related to the VVT system in 2011 models, that have since been fixed. I've heard of no substantial problems with the timing chain on those engines.

My fiancee's sister has a 2010 GMC Terrain with the 2.4. It's been to the dealer at least 2 or 3 times for timing chain issues, and I actually just got a call today - it has to go back to the dealer AGAIN. It has about 95k miles on it, oil was always changed on time.

The reason I'm reluctant to give her the Accord is that it will be destroyed with door dings and the inside will be filty from the kids in 3-4 months. It will drive me nuts and we'll fight about it all the time.

The reason I want her to buy her own car is two fold:

1.) 2013 was the first time in her life she's worked a real job and now has a decent career path. Everything until this point has been given to her (she's not spoiled, but never worked either). She has never had to support herself. So, I want her to make some car payments, have some pride in her vehicle, and have the same experience we've all had....finding how that vehicle payments aren't cool and taking pride in your car because you work hard to earn the money to keep it on the road (keep it clean and ding free).

2.) Having her own car will boost her self-esteem in that she did this all on her own. It's hers. She did it.

Since it's her car....if the interior is stained, dirty and coffee smeared everywhere, fine. If the side of it is full of door dings....I don't care. It's her car.

I paid hard cash for my Honda. I wanted a nice car that I could use for road trips/longer drives, which I need quite often. Something my old truck isn't good for.

^I totally agree with your philosophy. Present to her your thoughts on a good, reliable vehicle and let her test drive and decide which one is the best vehicle for her, then go about finding the best example of that for the price.

I imagine a CRV would be up there, although the Mazda5 is interesting if she likes one. How about an Elantra Touring? Pretty good deal for a wagon with the space of a CUV...

Originally Posted By: css9450
Gently used late-model Crown Victoria?

She is a social worker, with a skimpy income. Gas might be a problem for her on this one. Plus, that is a total dude car. She wants something a little more "chicky".

OK, a Grand Marquis then. Mercury had a "Cars for Women" ad campaign for awhile there towards the end.

The Honda Element is very utilitarian and quirky. It might be a good fit. It's still a Civic underneath.

how about a used Acura RL, TL, or TSX? all can be had in the 15k price point used, and are pretty darn nice and might help keep self esteem.

i just picked up a 2000 Subaru Outback, and i'm floored with how nice it is versus the previous gen which was very truck like. At 15k, you could easily find a previous gen Outback (09 or earlier) and should be pretty happy.

i do not recommend or like the current Gen Outback because of its anemic and downright boring CVT.

The reason I'm reluctant to give her the Accord is that it will be destroyed with door dings and the inside will be filty from the kids in 3-4 months. It will drive me nuts and we'll fight about it all the time.

The reason I want her to buy her own car is two fold:

1.) 2013 was the first time in her life she's worked a real job and now has a decent career path. Everything until this point has been given to her (she's not spoiled, but never worked either). She has never had to support herself. So, I want her to make some car payments, have some pride in her vehicle, and have the same experience we've all had....finding how that vehicle payments aren't cool and taking pride in your car because you work hard to earn the money to keep it on the road (keep it clean and ding free).

2.) Having her own car will boost her self-esteem in that she did this all on her own. It's hers. She did it.

Since it's her car....if the interior is stained, dirty and coffee smeared everywhere, fine. If the side of it is full of door dings....I don't care. It's her car.

I paid hard cash for my Honda. I wanted a nice car that I could use for road trips/longer drives, which I need quite often. Something my old truck isn't good for.

Understood!

Should I even consider a Volvo Wagon?

I would probably avoid a Volvo in that price range because they are likely to be high mileage and out of warranty.

In my experience many Volvo parts are quite expensive and not always readily at hand.

If you do decide to look at them research the exact model you are considering on a Volvo specific forum for known issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back