wife and I rode Harleys...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sporty suspension sucks from the factory, plain and simple. The 1200 makes okay power, but the 883 is a dog for its displacement in an air cooled engine.

The forward controls are a good thing, depending on your height. If you are tall and/or have a long inseam, you need those forwards on a sporty or it feels really cramped really fast.

Pipes, well that too is a subjective matter. I like exhaust that I can hear going down the road. The stock exhaust on my Triumph made the bike sound like a sewing machine. I could hear the engines mechanical but not the exhaust note, and it was so restrictive, that it affected the throttle response and running of the bike. A change to factory "off road" exhaust made it a much better bike.

As one poster mentioned, when you buy a Harley, especially a Sporty, you are buying a rather pricey foundation to build a bike for yourself. I would most certainly never buy a new one, the market here is flush with affordable used ones.

If you think the bike you rode shook bad, ride an older one with a solid mounted engine sometime.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The Sporty suspension sucks from the factory, plain and simple. The 1200 makes okay power, but the 883 is a dog for its displacement in an air cooled engine.

The forward controls are a good thing, depending on your height. If you are tall and/or have a long inseam, you need those forwards on a sporty or it feels really cramped really fast.

I found them absolutely awful...totally unnatural position for riding, and puts my knee in the air cleaner. Needs a higher seat and mid controls.

Quote:
Pipes, well that too is a subjective matter. I like exhaust that I can hear going down the road. The stock exhaust on my Triumph made the bike sound like a sewing machine. I could hear the engines mechanical but not the exhaust note, and it was so restrictive, that it affected the throttle response and running of the bike. A change to factory "off road" exhaust made it a much better bike.

Honestly, I am at the point that I am in favor of mandating unaltered OEM pipes on all bikes. But these were way, way beyond even the usual Harley racket...the moment I hit the starter, everyone turned to look. Riding the bike, the sound level actually bordered on pain. I truly think they were straightpipes.

Quote:
As one poster mentioned, when you buy a Harley, especially a Sporty, you are buying a rather pricey foundation to build a bike for yourself. I would most certainly never buy a new one, the market here is flush with affordable used ones.

Actually, I'd say a Roadster or a 1200XL would be pretty close. The problem with a used one is that is could easily cost a bunch just to un-butcher it. (Offhand, what do a set of stock pipes cost?)

Quote:
If you think the bike you rode shook bad, ride an older one with a solid mounted engine sometime.

If you cannot balance a quarter on the engine while it runs, it is too rough.

Duh, you should have rode the RK and the wife the Sporty. Either way, you're just not a Harley kinda guy...and I'm OK with that. I'm not a scooter kinda guy and I'm sure you're OK with that, so we're good.

I have no interest in anything with a TC, wouldn't own one if you gave it to me. She was going to ride a Fat Bob, but she got on, put her hands on the bars, and said, "No way!" Neither of us have any interest in a 900lb motorcycle! (It's about half again the weight of her PC.) I wound up on the 1200 Sporty because it's the only Harley I can ever actually see myself owning...and because everyone else wanted to ride the big touring bikes.

What do fat gals and scooters have in common ? They're both fun to ride....but you don't want your friends to see you on either.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Real men ride Harley! Remember it is not just a motorcycle it is a Harley !

Even though I know you're being funny on purpose, I've gotten that exact thing about my Ducati. Specifically, a co-worker who went out and impulse bought a used 2008 Softail Custom 105th anniv edition and knows so little about Harley's he was calling it a "Fat Boy Soft Tail" , said my Ducati looked like "something Tron would ride" "You think you're Tron or something?" I found the entire attitude hilarious. Most recent comment from him was that he was riding with another friend they were going 75mph on the local expressway and he didn't like it because "the wind was whipping my head and the bike was shaking" The rest of us at work actually think he go the I-wants so bad that the actual bike he got sold to him (by a private party not a dealer) is a wreck rebuild. Harley's aren't bad bikes and it shouldn't shake at 75 on a smooth expressway.

The above is not a critique of Harley's simply a critique of how the brand can bring out the stupid in some guys. But really, any bike can.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
What do fat gals and scooters have in common ? They're both fun to ride....but you don't want your friends to see you on either.

I'd rather be seen on a scooter than a Harley...

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: CT8
Real men ride Harley! Remember it is not just a motorcycle it is a Harley !

Even though I know you're being funny on purpose, I've gotten that exact thing about my Ducati. Specifically, a co-worker who went out and impulse bought a used 2008 Softail Custom 105th anniv edition and knows so little about Harley's he was calling it a "Fat Boy Soft Tail" , said my Ducati looked like "something Tron would ride" "You think you're Tron or something?" I found the entire attitude hilarious. Most recent comment from him was that he was riding with another friend they were going 75mph on the local expressway and he didn't like it because "the wind was whipping my head and the bike was shaking" The rest of us at work actually think he go the I-wants so bad that the actual bike he got sold to him (by a private party not a dealer) is a wreck rebuild. Harley's aren't bad bikes and it shouldn't shake at 75 on a smooth expressway.

The above is not a critique of Harley's simply a critique of how the brand can bring out the stupid in some guys. But really, any bike can.

I wonder if it might be an unbalanced tire.

Last edited:
We all have our favorites. Buy what you like and ride it. I cant see the this brand or that brand etc. I have never for instance rode a Harley buy i like the way they look. Lots of people out riding brand made and seemingly having a good time.

A FatBob does not weigh 900 lbs - that's just rank ignorance...

Go ride a Roadster at an actual H-D sanctioned demo day if you want to ride a Sporty with talk suspension.

I love the Fat Bob, one of my favorite looking HD models. This past weekend rode two up with my gf for short 200 mile day trip. Cold front coming in, lot of wind gusts. Love my Duc but wouldnt have minded having a 7 or 800 lb Harley that trip.

They make very nice touring bikes, maybe a little dynamically challenged, but that is why there are BMWs. I can't speak to their other lines.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Stop urinating in my thread.

Unless you own the website, the thread isn't yours.

I often find it amazing how for so long it was near on impossible to adjust your bike to suit yourself. Cars have had adjustable seat positions for decades, yet with bikes your choices were so few. You either Ger bar risers, smaller wheels, after market shocks, or rebuild your seat. Over the years I have had the opportunity to test a few bikes, and it seems expected that the rider has to alter thier body shape to adjust to the bike.
I feel for Harley riders, theirs is a hard road defending the tech of their bikes, however japanese bike owners cannot claim a trouble free technology history...anyone ride 70's japanese bikes? Bad frames, shocking drum brakes, wistful Electrics and bult by people with tiny fingers.
European bikes were a class apart too, Italian bikes that defied comfort concepts, and eastern block bikes that embraced ideas of their own.
I reckon that if one discovers some big issues with your ride, cop it sweet that you bought it without too much thought or exhaustive testing, not meaning to be rude, not everyone can research exhaustively prior to purchase, and learn to live with, and keep trolling eBay and the like for bits to make the bike easier to live with...sorta like almost everything in life...

Cheers, Gareth

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back