Why wax and not graphite or ceramic coats or the new graphite sealants?

Just wondering why wax? I have used waxes in the past colonite prominently but it lasted at most 2 weeks (water beading).

Recently I decided to strip and paint correct the car and apply two coats on CqUK 3.0 and then followed it a month later with a graphene spray on wax from Adams. The car has been beading rain and dust non stop. I mean the dust doesn't stick to it and all it requires is a quick duster mop pass to remove all the dirt and the car is as if it was just waxed.

The biggest benefit of wax is that it provides a depth in the look of the finish that most modern sealants and coatings don’t provide. This was important way back when paints were thick and clearcoats were not being used yet.

Todays modern products are just so easy to use and they provide durability and ease of cleaning.

Like you, I've found that the ceramic coatings can be superb. Best when the paint is in great shape. There are any number of YouTube tests showing how long each product lasts. I've found the Griot's Garage 3 in 1 spray on ceramic wax is about the easiest thing around. And lasts.

I've used quite a few products over the last few years just for fun. They all work. IMO it comes down to ease of application, durability, the look the product offers and most important, how much you like using it. My personal favorite products are the coating lite products - Can Coat and Cquartz Lite. However some of the new coatings are really easy to use now.

Can Coat maintained its hydrophobicity for over a year. Makes drying the car very easy with air due to the high contact angle of the beads. I can also dry my car with a hose using the flood setting.

Last edited:
The biggest benefit of wax is that it provides a depth in the look of the finish that most modern sealants and coatings don’t provide. This was important way back when paints were thick and clearcoats were not being used yet.

Todays modern products are just so easy to use and they provide durability and ease of cleaning.
Exactly. Carnauba waxes provide a warmer glow, while sealants and coatings tend to look more like a glassy shell.

For a daily driver, sealants/coatings all day long, just because the durability is so much better.

If it's a weekend toy or classic that spends most time in the garage, then I would use a carnauba.

There's a big difference between a professionally-applied ceramic coating versus something you do yourself like GRIOT'S 3-in-1 or similar.

That said, I am personally done with carnauba wax because ceramic technology is superior in every way. Lasts longer. Arguably some very high-end carnauba (according to some) looks better, but it doesn't last nearly as long... "looks better" is also a very subjective standard.

Some people still believe the harder you have to work to apply a product, the better the results. I haven't used wax in over 10 years since synthetic sealants came out, and now have moved to a graphene spray for a top coat. The labor is in the preparation anyway.
Acrylic sealants were around when, at age 10, I started cleaning our family cars in 1986. Detailing clay appeared in the early '90s. I can't say I have ever used wax on the finish of a vehicle.

Just wondering why wax? I have used waxes in the past colonite prominently but it lasted at most 2 weeks (water beading).

Recently I decided to strip and paint correct the car and apply two coats on CqUK 3.0 and then followed it a month later with a graphene spray on wax from Adams. The car has been beading rain and dust non stop. I mean the dust doesn't stick to it and all it requires is a quick duster mop pass to remove all the dirt and the car is as if it was just waxed.
Collinite 845 is still beading on my Trooper 90 days later.

I don't use "real" coatings anymore because they make "love marks" more of a pain to fix. I'm also over the finicky install process. Decon, polish, prep, apply, wait, remove, fix high spots... Bleh.

"Light" ceramics are easier to use, but so is running a DA over the car and buffing it off.

I'm in agreement that straight wax is for show more than go. Collinite 845 (sealant with carnauba) lasted 6-8 months for me, two weeks for you? Hard to believe but which Collinite you used isn't mentioned. If the time mentioned is correct then obviously the surface was not prepared properly.

In upstate New York I have a guy that details VERY reasonable. I just dont enjoy it that much any more. My wife recently bought a new 2023 Rogue. A few weeks ago I was doing 55 on the highway. The car in front of me drove over a football, and kicked it up in the air. It was spinning end for end, and I hit it at 55. It looked pretty ugly. It hit the front of the hood where there was good support so there was no dent. The car had just had two coats of Turtle Wax Hybrid solutions Ceramic Spray Coating (53409). I hit the impact area with another spray of that coating with a microfiber. It wiped clean. Not even a scratch! I am impressed. I tried to attach photos, but they were taken on my iphone. Maybe ios doesn't play well with windows. My truck sits outside, and I get a year out of one coating. Wax no more!

With winter coming I did a quick speed clay and coat with Turtlewax Graphene Flexwax on two of my vehicles. One I sprayed on the dry car and wiped it off. The other I sprayed on the wet washed car and used the drying aid method. The cars were super slick with improved shine when completed. A little of the slickness went away with the first rain, but I still think it’s a great product with decent durability, and it’s pretty easy to touch up with a wash, sprits, rinse and dry.

I have used a fair amount of Collinite paste wax in the past. It’s a great product, but I don’t see myself using it anymore with the easy of products like Flexwax. I didn’t get to my F150 this year, but I’m going to try Cancoat on it. It’s supposed to be very easy to apply with 6 month+ durability.

Like you, I've found that the ceramic coatings can be superb. Best when the paint is in great shape. There are any number of YouTube tests showing how long each product lasts. I've found the Griot's Garage 3 in 1 spray on ceramic wax is about the easiest thing around. And lasts.
Not only that their ceramic wax with the spray is so easy and looks fantastic.

I use FK1000 on all my outside vehicles in Fl. and get 5-6 months of protection. I use Meguiars NXT 2.0 on my 70 white Chevelle and it looks like wet coated candy. On my 2015 SS I experiment with different brands like Collonite 915 and other waxes/hybrids for the warm deep look. . All look great with the intended outside inside longevity. Ceramics and Graphine give way different results, some good some bad.

If you want a wax sealant product that lasts and looks amazing. Collinite 915.
Deep, rich ,glossy paint.
No spray on product has come close.

5-6 months durability

Back