DIY Ceramic Coats

I have a 2019 Q5 which I had been using Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic wax but didn't like the residue on my windshield from runoff. I had some old Eagle one wax as you dry and using that till it runs out. Thinking of a DIY Ceramic Coating. How doable are they. Car is never garaged and is our daily. I plan to keep car about 2-4 more years , that is why I wont have a professional job done($$$$). Just looking for something to make washing a little easier.

I'm of the opinion that these DIY coatings aren't worth doing unless you can do them properly. Full decon, polish, paint prep. You really want to get them right. This is why I still prefer a paint sealant. Not better than a coating but it's so easy to apply it really doesn't matter.

What about just a durable wax like Collinite 476? It gets great reviews and seems to last a very long time. Their website claims, "7-10 months of weather protection."

Just a thought?

Ed
This. WAY too much aggravation with DIY ceramic coatings and proper prep is arduous. Keeping it for just a few years, I would clean (clay/glaze) the paint really well then do a sealant or a really durable wax like the Collinite. Most sealants have light sunscreens in them as well for a little UV protection.

ttps://technicians-choice.myshopify.com/products/tec580-ceramic-coating

This is easy to use and holds up for a long time. Wipe it on an area and wipe it off. Available at Amazon. +1 to JoelB’s post above. For longevity, use their ceramic detail spray after every wash.

I have a 2019 Q5 which I had been using Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic wax but didn't like the residue on my windshield from runoff. I had some old Eagle one wax as you dry and using that till it runs out. Thinking of a DIY Ceramic Coating. How doable are they. Car is never garaged and is our daily. I plan to keep car about 2-4 more years , that is why I wont have a professional job done($$$$). Just looking for something to make washing a little easier.
It is very doable. Note that you do not need to polish unless you can't remove old protection by other means. I use a product called Fireball Wax Off instead of polishing most of the time if the paint is good. If the prep is too much or too intimidating then I would try a good spray sealant. One of the newest that seems to be based on top notch chemistry is Jimbo's Hard as Shell. It should be even better than Griot's 3-in-1. If you decide to do a coating, Gyeon Cancoat Evo as recommended by buster is a really good choice for a first coating. If you are more comfortable I would suggest Gyeon Mohs Evo, CQuartz UK 3.0, or DIY Detail 3 year or 5 year coatings. There are a number of good coatings but those have been well tested by a lot of people at this point.

Back