Why God, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rob6773
I worked at my dad's repair shop for a lot of years. Back in the early 90's a guy walked in with a used tire to put on. I got it on his rim. Then started to inflate it to 35psi. I checked it with a gauge and it had 10 psi. The beads had already seated themselves. I put the hose on again and 2 seconds later the side of the tire just blew wide open scaring me. The slimebag then said I owed him a tire. I told him him to get his white trash garbage out of my shop. Then another customer who was waiting informed me that he saw that guy going through the dumpster at the tire place a block down the road. At that point my dad and co-worker had to restrain me because I was going to really hurt the looser that brought in in that tire.

Several years ago there was a story here about a store that found bugs in some candy, so they sprayed it with Raid, wrote "do not eat" on it and tossed it in the dumpster. You guessed it, people were taking it and eating it and getting sick. Duh, it's in the dumpster for a reason, you morons.

John

i really wish i was joking. unfortunately, there are more idiots like him on the road than you would think.

A few weeks ago, I saw a car with four donut spares getting on the interstate. I don't know how/why somebody would have four of those, let alone why'd they take a car like that to highway speeds.

On the general subject... What do tire shops do with tires that still have usable tread left on them? Are they destroyed due to liability, sold to used tire chains, left in the alley because somebody would come along and take them?

Last week I was at the walmart TLE, and a manager is going through the place with a supervisor and tell him that make sure the tire dump is locked, and sure enough it is locked.

FWIW, I see transit/tour buses with 10 year old Goodyear/Firestone/Toyo/Michelin carcasses with a fresh Bandag retread job on them - luckily they are on the drive and/or tag axle. And I see these buses - mostly MCI commuter/tour coaches go 65+ down the freeway.

When I worked at a Honda dealer, the mechanics will pick through the used tire rack for any tires in decently serviceable shape. I scored a Bridgestone Potenza G009 this way for my spare tire.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Last week I was at the walmart TLE, and a manager is going through the place with a supervisor and tell him that make sure the tire dump is locked, and sure enough it is locked.

In sue happy SoCal, people will steal a tire from your junk bin, then when it fails sue you.

Originally Posted By: nthach
FWIW, I see transit/tour buses with 10 year old Goodyear/Firestone/Toyo/Michelin carcasses with a fresh Bandag retread job on them -

Do you want to know a secret?

Most commercial aircraft run retreaded tires, they are much more reliable than one may think.

Those truck tire carcasses are designed to be retreaded. I'm not sure there is an expiration date on them though, like on passenger car tires.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
Why is it that people want to carry in tires to my shop that are 14 yrs old, have cracks worse than a crocodile, then want to put them on a pickup that their child is driving?

Why is it that people cannot read the sign that says I will not mount a tire more than 6 yrs old? Not even for a stock trailer. Really. I'm not trying to turn a buck. It really comes down to liability and safety.

I'm really not trying to be a grinch.

Sir, stand your ground against these fools. As an admin here, I am especially careful not to dispense legal advice, being a lawyer myself. No legal advice here, just "common sense" (you get my drift, I hope).

Having spent 29 years as a Marine before I retired last year, I am especially allergic to the notion of one person being "better" than another because of what they do. NOBODY is better than a Marine, Soldier, Sailor, or Airman who has the courage to shoulder a rifle and defend the rest of US. That would include me, the lawyer who made it all the way to Colonel -- I'm in awe of such people.

By having the courage to say NO to such idiot customers, you are also defending the rest of us from obvious danger. Thank you. If you were doing business here in Pensacola, I'd be buying tires and alignments from YOU from here on until either I end up in a "home" or you retire. My hat's off to you. Businessmen who insist upon doing what's right, even if it "hurts" their bottom line are also American Heros. Again, Thank You sir.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: HWEaton
Why is it that people want to carry in tires to my shop that are 14 yrs old, have cracks worse than a crocodile, then want to put them on a pickup that their child is driving?

Why is it that people cannot read the sign that says I will not mount a tire more than 6 yrs old? Not even for a stock trailer. Really. I'm not trying to turn a buck. It really comes down to liability and safety.

I'm really not trying to be a grinch.

Sir, stand your ground against these fools. As an admin here, I am especially careful not to dispense legal advice, being a lawyer myself. No legal advice here, just "common sense" (you get my drift, I hope).

Having spent 29 years as a Marine before I retired last year, I am especially allergic to the notion of one person being "better" than another because of what they do. NOBODY is better than a Marine, Soldier, Sailor, or Airman who has the courage to shoulder a rifle and defend the rest of US. That would include me, the lawyer who made it all the way to Colonel -- I'm in awe of such people.

By having the courage to say NO to such idiot customers, you are also defending the rest of us from obvious danger. Thank you. If you were doing business here in Pensacola, I'd be buying tires and alignments from YOU from here on until either I end up in a "home" or you retire. My hat's off to you. Businessmen who insist upon doing what's right, even if it "hurts" their bottom line are also American Heros. Again, Thank You sir.
I have to add a big ol' PLUS ONE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back